Agenda 21

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Agenda 21

Post by lesterb »

Does anyone have more details on Agenda 21? Is this real or just another conspiracy theory?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Agenda 21

Post by Josh »

It is real but not that important. The UN doesn't have that much influence. Your average state or provincial level legislators don't care what Agenda 21 says to do, and your municipal level city planners don't care either.

Liberal leaning people will use Agenda 21 as justification for what they want to do. Politically conservative people will talk about the horrors of Agenda 21, and thus why you should vote for them so they can keep out the evil UN plans.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

They've got way more than 21 agendas
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

KingdomBuilder wrote:They've got way more than 21 agendas
It's for the 21st Century; thus the name.
Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the Earth Summit (UN Conference on Environment and Development) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992. - Wikipedia
A conspiracy theory? Yes, folks like Glenn Beck have made a big scare issue out of it. It does talk about reducing sprawl and encouraging sustainability. So, yes, these goals could be worked on in oppressive ways. They also are goals I can support.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:They've got way more than 21 agendas
It's for the 21st Century; thus the name.
Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. It is a product of the Earth Summit (UN Conference on Environment and Development) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992. - Wikipedia
A conspiracy theory? Yes, folks like Glenn Beck have made a big scare issue out of it. It does talk about reducing sprawl and encouraging sustainability. So, yes, these goals could be worked on in oppressive ways. They also are goals I can support.
Even when they are worked on in oppressive ways?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:It is real but not that important. The UN doesn't have that much influence. Your average state or provincial level legislators don't care what Agenda 21 says to do, and your municipal level city planners don't care either.
I agree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21
Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development.
It's not just that the UN doesn't have much power, there is nothing to enforce here.
Josh wrote:Liberal leaning people will use Agenda 21 as justification for what they want to do. Politically conservative people will talk about the horrors of Agenda 21, and thus why you should vote for them so they can keep out the evil UN plans.
That's about right. Though I mostly hear about it from the right - it's not something that the mainstream left seems to talk about much.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I could have pretty well forecast several of these replies. And I'm not really disagreeing with any of them, but I'd like to make a few comments on this, then maybe I'll bail out again.

I picked up a kindle copy of the first of Glenn Beck's Agenda 21 series. I've gotten about half way into it, and I may just delete it again. He gets a bit too much into some things that I usually get rid of books for. Essentially, these books are a fantasy, possibly for his own safety. But he weaves a number of things into his writing that I think we should at least take note of.

The mother in the story tells her daughter how it all came about. Most of the general population ignored the signs, but she was an educated high school history teacher and knew how to read the indicators. Most people were caught totally off guard. If I can say so without being offensive, they would have written posts like Josh and Boot did above. If they were into it, they might have responded like Jim did.

We are seeing a LOT of political smoke screens today. That is usually an indicator of something. Trump is a master at using smoke screens, or the people who work for him are a master at using him for a smoke screen (I'm not sure yet which is true). Where there is smoke there is usually a fire. What the fire is, in this case, I'm not sure.

So lets just say that there is something sinister going on in the background. Let's say that the promotion of man's fault in global warming is a smoke screen and a device for getting people to feel guilty about existing. And a way to make "doubters" seem like criminals and idiots who need the government's help. So you have a president like Trump, who does a lot of seemingly dumb things. Almost half of the popular vote went for him. Isn't this a fairly sure proof that the American people can no longer be trusted to make their own choices? That maybe the political elite need to take charge to avoid the US self-destructing? I suspect that democracy is in worse danger today than it has ever been.

People today can't be trusted to think for themselves. I was a safety officer for a while, and I know first hand the kind of rules and regulations that are in place to take care of people because they aren't capable of looking after themselves. This is a political thought pattern that is gradually spreading into every facet of our lives. I'm not against safety and common sense, but the idea that the population's thinking isn't enough to keep them safe, and that they need to be surrounded by a web of regulation to keep them safe from themselves has some pretty serious ramifications, if you stop to think it through.

I had an interesting discussion last night with three younger men who are very uptodate on current events and have fairly strong opinions. It was a very mind stretching conversation, and a lot of you would have enjoyed it very much. But, none of them had ever heard about Agenda 21. I suspect that all of them have googled it since, but that told me how successful the smoke screen has been. Whitewash it all. It's so innocent. On paper it is totally voluntary. Until the day the door slams.

I'm not saying that I think this will happen. But there is another side to the story that what we are hearing, I suspect. And if this is working out as it might be, then democracy is no safeguard against it, because we've been prepared and sidetracked for a long time.

One of the men in our discussion would strongly agree with Boot's thoughts. He feels that if we aren't careful we will cross the tipping point of no return. He used Venus for an example and believes that at one point Venus had a fairly liveable temperature, but that something happened that took it over the edge. He also believes that this is important enough that it will take a global initiative to have any chance of dealing with it. Naturally we got into Bible prophecy as well. Usually this is where conservative Christians head for when all else fails. It doesn't really matter what is happening because the earth is waxing old, and this is God's way of preparing for the end of all things. And I have some sympathy for that idea.

Maybe I'm just a dreamy old man being led astray by an over active imagination. 8-) But as I've watched world events and tried to read between the lines, I suspect that we could be shaping up for some abrupt changes.

[bible]1thes 5,1-8[/bible]

[bible]mat 24,37-39[/bible]

When you see these things on the horizon, look up, for your redemption draws nigh...
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

appleman2006 wrote: Even when they are worked on in oppressive ways?
No.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:I could have pretty well forecast several of these replies.
I didn't answer because I knew you would know I would say the UN is evil and trying to control us all. 8-)
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I don't want to go off the deep end with this. But I think that Josh and Boot should at least read the afterword in Beck's first Agenda 21 book, where he explains his rationale for the book.
0 x