POLL: The 11 Nations of North America

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Which Cultural "Nation" most closely describes you?

Total votes: 0

KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: POLL: The 11 Nations of North America

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I have never heard of any of these... I'm in the Deep South and those not in the Deep South are simply referred to as "Yankees"...

Whoops :lol:

Edit: Those on the West Coast are sometimes called "yuppies" or worse- "Democrats" (jokes)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

I grew up in the hills of eastern Kentucky so I identify at least partially with the Appalachia culture. However, my father came from Ohio and my mother from Pennsylvania so I never quite fit in perfectly. One of my co-workers was from a large family of true-blue southerners from the TN-AL border. They had converted to Mennonitism (?) many years earlier and liked to poke fun at us ethnic Amish-Mennonite boys trying to be southern. Their father liked to say that just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't mean they are now biscuits. :lol:

In later years, I spent quite a bit of time in Latin America, enough that I feel very much at home in it. In some ways, I feel something come alive inside when I am in the El Norte culture. So I feel like a rather confused blend of cultures that doesn't quite fit completely into any of them. :dance:
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

i pray regional, area, community flavors will not change.
the idea of one homogenized U.S./world is depressing. please, not that.
Meanwhile I'm doing the opposite. Spend a while down here and you may change your mind
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I too suspect that this chart was more accurate 20 to 30 years ago. In the last 20 years people have been much less likely to stay in the area they were raised which has really mixed up the categories. However the chart did confirm and reinforced one thing for me. I have always felt that of all the areas in the US that I have the most in common with it is the areas shown in the Midland section. Even our accent is the most similar. For that reason alone I give this chart so credence.

Very interesting.
0 x