Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote:I feel like I need to point out marijuana is completely legal in a couple major US states...
Only legal according to state law but still illegal by Federal law. Under Obama the Federal government was not pushing to prosecute when cannabis use was in accord with state law, but there are promises of changing that.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Josh wrote:I feel like I need to point out marijuana is completely legal in a couple major US states...
Only legal according to state law but still illegal by Federal law. Under Obama the Federal government was not pushing to prosecute when cannabis use was in accord with state law, but there are promises of changing that.
Which is what makes federally funded research difficult to conduct.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:
The solution for this plant is not legalization, but to bring this plant from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2 so that it can be prescribed by physicians. I think if it is used without heating it to eliminate the psychoactive results, then the dose can be increased to be effective, and there won't be any "moral issues".
I would agree with you here. With it's current state, little effective research can be done on it. I have a friend, who has, in the past, growing up like half a ton of plants suspected of having medicinal effect, separated the various compounds in them, and tested each compound for potential medicinal effect. My suspicion is that he would love to get ahold of it, because there is likely a whole cocktail of potential useful compounds.

Sadly, with the schedule 1 designation, such research is nearly impossible to conduct.

J.M.
J.M.

Thanks for sharing that, as it gives me hope for the future. I know there are some really good doctors trying to do their best for humanity, and your post reinforces that idea. With doctors like that, one day we will beat cancer, diabetes, etc.

Perhaps when it is legalized in your friend's state, then he will be able to research it. One good thing with legalization in CA and CO is that research is now possible there.

But there are a lot of other plants that need research. They say there are more plants in the Amazon rain forest than can be analyzed for medicinal purposes, yet deforestation is underway.

Your post about the compound from the yew tree was also very enlightening. Thanks again.

I have been trying to grow my own ginseng in the forest (with a lot of patience), and trying to learn about other plants that are adaptogens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptogen

An adaptogen lifts you up when you are tired, and calms you when you are nervous.

The other adaptogen plants, besides ginseng, that I am growing in the greenhouse are:

Gynostemma Pentaphyllum - known in Chinese medicine as Jiaogulan - this is called the "poor man's ginseng". It is easy to grow and I use it in my tea each morning as a substitute for coffee - I was finally able to get off coffee using this plant. Jiaogulan is a real lift in the morning, and a calming tea in the evening - a great adaptogen.

I am also growing Centella Asiatica - called Gotu Kola, it has been used as a general cure all plant and good for memory, etc.

Rehmannia Glutinosa, called Sheng Di Huang in Chinese medicine, or Chinese foxglove, but I don't know enough to use it correctly, and there are some issues with it, so I have grown it, and don't know exactly the best way to use it without more study. But it is a beautiful plant so far. It is one of the foundation plants of traditional Chinese medicine.

Ashwagandha root is another plant product I hope to research soon.

A friend of mine went to our Amish doctor, and got a copy of all of their herb tincture and other recipes. They have a "Herb Hike" every May where they show you how to go out and identify all of the herbs they use. They have people coming from all over the world to their clinic. But they do not charge anything, it is all charity.

We grow several large Elderberry bushes, each year they just get bigger and pop up on the farm here, so I cultivate them where they are. The Elderberry wine is a very potent cure for the flu and other problems, and so we collect the berries for that purpose. I understand that the white flowers of the Elderberry are an anti viral agent, but I have not tried that so far.

My neighbor has grown Echinacea, this will temporarily boost your immune system, but if used regularly, it is not as effective. Echinacea and Elderberry wine, plus Propolis which is the resin made by bees, are the core ingredients for "Berry Well", a herbal remedy for colds that we have given to our children their entire lives, and it works extremely well.

We also have a bee hive, and have found that eating "local honey" made from the plants that grow around your home is the best way to lower your allergic reaction to pollen. Most commercial honey you buy in the store is made by bees eating sugar water, with no real pollen in it. "Local honey" that you can buy from a beekeeper in your area is simply amazing for allergies.

Thanks again for your information.

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

:roll: so traditional Chinese medicine is better than Western medicine now?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

JohnHurt wrote:Most commercial honey you buy in the store is made by bees eating sugar water, with no real pollen in it. "Local honey" that you can buy from a beekeeper in your area is simply amazing for allergies.
John
Would you be willing to provide your source for this?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ken_sylvania wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:Most commercial honey you buy in the store is made by bees eating sugar water, with no real pollen in it. "Local honey" that you can buy from a beekeeper in your area is simply amazing for allergies.
John
I don't believe this is completely accurate. The commercial bees may have to live on sugar water part of the year, which may not be best for the bees. But that is because their honey, which is made from pollen, is harvested and sold to us. Them eating sugar water doesn't effect the honey. It probably does affect their health.
But I find it plausible that local honey might have local pollen allergy benefits which the monoculture almond and canola honey may not have.
Also, I've been told that legally there is a certain percentage (10%?) you can add water to commercial honey and still label it 100% pure honey.
I used to have hives as a hobby.
0 x
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

ken_sylvania wrote:
John
i understand that Sue Bee honey is sugar water, but that is what I have heard, I don't have a source.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Samuel Girod is going to prison for 6 years for selling chickweed salve.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crim ... 31869.html
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

JohnHurt wrote:Samuel Girod is going to prison for 6 years for selling chickweed salve.

I am very sorry that it has come to this.

The article quotes a supporter as saying, "He is being punished for being stubborn." I think that sums up the problem. It is not exactly true that he is going to prison for selling chickweed salve.
Judge Reeves said Girod brought the trouble on himself “because he steadfastly refused to follow the law.”

To Girod, Reeves said, “You refused to follow anyone but yourself.”
The real problem was not chickweed salve. You can buy chickweed salve all the time. It's for sale in all kinds of forms, on Amazon and many other places. The problem was that Girod did not follow the law, and did not believe it applied to him.
In documents filed June 19, Girod argued that the charges in the indictment “do not apply to me.”

“I am not a creation of state/government, as such I am not within its jurisdiction,” Girod wrote. He added later: “The proceedings of the ‘United States District Court’ cannot be applied within the jurisdiction of the ‘State of Kentucky.’”
It is an unfortunate outcome but not unexpected. If I refuse to comply with federal and state laws in how I conduct my business, the same thing will happen to me. No one should expect otherwise.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

JohnHurt wrote:Samuel Girod is going to prison for 6 years for selling chickweed salve.

Reading between the lines, his real crime was to challenge the jurisdiction of the FDA and a Federal Court in MO over a citizen of the State of Kentucky.

The Federal District Court of Missouri was injured by Mr. Girod when he failed to comply with the judge's order.

The FDA inspectors were injured by Mr. Girod when he would not let them on his property.

That was mostly his crime. I cannot find anyone else that was injured by Mr. Girod.

The Federal Jury found Mr. Girod guilty on March 2, 2017. No doubt the Judge did not instruct the jury about jury nullification, or that the judge, the court, the FDA, were also on trial, as that is what a jury does or should do. It is the jury that decides if the law is applicable in each case, not the judge. And the jury decides if the law is not a good law.

My son was called to jury duty, even though he has not voted in years. He was amazed when saw that the prosecuting attorney asked questions that eliminated anyone that did not agree that "if you broke the law, you are guilty". That is, the jury was hand picked by the prosecuting attorney to exclude anyone that believes in jury nullification, and the defense attorney did little to stop it.

If I break the law, I should be tried by a jury of my peers, nothing else. The jury should have my same social status and background, and not be selected from the most robotic like people from a pool.

My son said they did not pick him once they knew he was educated. If you don't want to serve on a jury, tell them you went to college.

Our legal system is something to be avoided at all costs.

Christ was right, "Agree with your adversary quickly, lest he take you to the judge, and the judge throw you in prison. Matthew 5:25.

You are not going to get justice in these courts, you are much better off just to agree with them and give them what they want.

Mr. Girod should have just agreed with them, changed the names on his salves, and avoided them entirely.

When the two FDA agents came to his property, he should have never answered the door.

6 years in federal prison, that is really incredible. I don't think this is over yet. If he could appeal with a real defense attorney in another venue, I am certain he would at least get a suspended sentence.

No one deserves 6 years in prison for making salve, 6 months in jail would break most of us.
0 x