Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

appleman2006 wrote:You are correct John in that we disagree on that. I certainly do not buy into the fact that the whole medical world has conspired to work against a cure for cancer. In fact the very idea makes no sense at all to me for numerous reasons.

For one thing here in Canada the amount of money that our government would save if there was actually a better cure available is almost unbelievable And I expect that our government would look at anyone actually trying to hide a cure as being almost equivalent to treason. Health care funds are in extremely short supply up here and it is becoming more and more of an issue. You can be totally absolutely sure if there was a cheaper form of treatment that worked it would be used. Not doubt in my mind at all.

I stand by my statement if someone has a cure that is actually tested and verified. That person will be wealthy beyond comprehension. And trust me, hospitals are not worried about running out of work anytime soon at least not here in Canada. An alternative cure would be considered a Godsend by everyone involved.
If cancer is cured, we will be busy treating whatever else this mortal body does to prove it is mortal.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
MaxPC wrote:You've piqued my interest in this case. Has sentence been given?

In the USA legal system, there is a point system for helping judges to create a more consistent sentencing history. It's necessary because our system is based on precedent: cases can come back to bite them if there's a whiff of discrimination. Those with no other criminal history or only minor traffic violations get the lightest sentences. Of course there are those judges who don't use the point system but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Re AG Sessions: his comments are directed to those cases of convicted with violent criminal histories. Sessions hopes to keep the repeat offenders off the streets; those who received light sentences in spite of a violent criminal history and were back on the streets committing more violent crimes - thanks to judges who didn't use the point system for sentencing.
Guess I was referring to this:
""Attorney General Jeff Sessions has a new directive for federal prosecutors across the country: charge suspects with the most serious offense you can prove."" (CNN )

JM
It will be interesting to see the full and unedited context of AG Sessions' comments. In light of the retraction and apologies of CNN of late, that might prove fruitful.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:It will be interesting to see the full and unedited context of AG Sessions' comments. In light of the retraction and apologies of CNN of late, that might prove fruitful.
You can satisfy your interest here, where the original memo has been published by the Department of Justice, which Sessions is the head of and controls:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-relea ... 6/download
First, it is a core principle that prosecutors should charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense.
That seems completely consistent with media news reporting on the matter.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:If cancer is cured, we will be busy treating whatever else this mortal body does to prove it is mortal.

J.M.
Yes. To hear some, it seems that we should be living forever if we just figured out the right diet or the proper cures for disease. Some go so far as to insinuate that mankind's bad behavior is due in part to modern food innovations. I recently heard a sermon in which the speaker pointed out that Cain killed Abel while on a diet that was probably less genetically modified and as organic as any in history.

I believe that diet and lifestyle does connect to some diseases, and that we can hasten our death by our own poor choices. I believe that feeding children nothing but Skittles, for example, may affect health and behavior. However the Bible teaches that death came on all mankind as a result of sin. This tells us that our mortality is overall a consequence of a greater problem over which we do not have ultimate control.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
JohnHurt wrote:
And no herbal remedy for cancer will ever, ever, ever be allowed in the USA, especially if it works.

I am certain we disagree, but thank you for your comments.

John
My guess is that you have never heard of homoharringtonine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omacetaxine_mepesuccinate

I was involved in the phase 1 on this. It is a substance from a yew tree.

J.M.
I stand corrected. I am certain Cephalon, Inc. will be very profitable, as will any other company that can manufacture this drug substance by hemi-synthesis. My guess is that this now synthetic drug, although first found in a tree, will be expensive. But I could be wrong on that too.

With your background, you might be interested in this short video:
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Medicine is expensive especially newly patented medicine. The reason for that is quite obvious. It costs millions and millions of dollars to first of all do the research needed to establish the cure and then millions more to go through the approval processes. And part of this is precisely to protect us from the unscrupulous snake oil salesman.

Of course with time patents run out and much cheaper generic drugs become available but then because now competition comes into play a lot of money is spent for marketing those drugs. One could argue that this would not be necessary but I am not sure how to get around that in a free market system. The alternative is a monopoly and I gather you do not like those. Not sure I do either.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

JohnHurt wrote: With your background, you might be interested in this short video:
Interesting. And If it actually works as he says it will or does that would be wonderful. My only question is, Are you absolutely sure that guy was not already self treating on his product? ;)
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

appleman2006 wrote:
JohnHurt wrote: With your background, you might be interested in this short video:
Interesting. And If it actually works as he says it will or does that would be wonderful. My only question is, Are you absolutely sure that guy was not already self treating on his product? ;)
Dr. William Courtney did not always have a pony tail, or a glassy stare, so yes you may be correct, he could be self medicating.

Here Dr. Courtney is a little more lucid, and credible, with testimony from some other physicians as well:

What interests me is that Dr. Courtney and others are proposing that the plant not be heated, but used fresh. By using it fresh, this eliminates the psychoactive effect, as the heating is what separates the acid molecule from the psychoactive molecule.

The other interesting thing, to me at least, is the discovery of the endo-cannabinoid system that every human has, where there is a corresponding human receptor that receives almost everything this plant produces. I did a lot of my own research into CBD and how it is used to treat epilepsy, diabetes, and other issues.

Here is another doctor that speaks of the endo-cannobinoid system:

The solution for this plant is not legalization, but to bring this plant from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2 so that it can be prescribed by physicians. I think if it is used without heating it to eliminate the psychoactive results, then the dose can be increased to be effective, and there won't be any "moral issues".

Here is the link from the National Cancer Institute that shows that this plant does indeed kill or damage cancer cells:
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/tre ... q#link/_13

It is just such an uphill battle, due to the stigma this plant has had. And, of course, that anyone could grow it themselves and cure themselves or others.

But, I wonder if Mr. Girod had been caught with this plant instead of chickweed salve, would there would be a lower penalty?

I guess it is all in what he put on the label. He should have used a 3 page disclaimer like the drug companies do.

I still think whoever was injured by Simon Girod should be the only person allowed to press charges against him. Not the ridiculous form of "The People of Kentucky vs. Simon Girod". This man should be able to face his accusers, and make them show proof that they were damaged by him, with the court awarding only the damages Mr. Girod actually inflicted, not some penalty of what might have happened but did not, or to be put in Federal prison.

Speaking of damages...

I would like to sue the hospitals where both my parents died from cancer. My parents suffered greatly from the doctor's inability to get results. They flew Mom to Duke University for experimental liver cancer treatment, where she got her bone marrow extracted, and was given massive doses of chemo, then the bone marrow put back in. This did not work at all.

Her death was absolutely horrible. I was there.

Dad died from colon cancer. He complained about the pains for months, but they could not diagnose it until the cancer ate through the intestinal wall.

His death was also absolutely horrible. I saw it all, especially the last week.

They put a "Hickman" in both of them, so that they could inject the chemo right into their hearts. At least they did not use leeches or blood letting.

So yes, we, as a family, were damaged much more by the hospitals than by someone claiming chickweed salve cures cancer.

Sorry to vent, but the medical profession has made almost no real improvement in treating cancer - and almost no effort at teaching prevention. They just give you a pill, and never enforce a lifestyle change.

Here is a good one. California said that the glyphosates in Monsanto's Roundup causes cancer, and want Monsanto to put a cancer warning on their products:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/health/ca ... index.html
The article said more than 800 lymphoma patients are in suit against Monsanto claiming Roundup gave them cancer.

Time to start hoeing your own garden. I sure do.

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JohnHurt wrote:
The solution for this plant is not legalization, but to bring this plant from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2 so that it can be prescribed by physicians. I think if it is used without heating it to eliminate the psychoactive results, then the dose can be increased to be effective, and there won't be any "moral issues".
I would agree with you here. With it's current state, little effective research can be done on it. I have a friend, who has, in the past, growing up like half a ton of plants suspected of having medicinal effect, separated the various compounds in them, and tested each compound for potential medicinal effect. My suspicion is that he would love to get ahold of it, because there is likely a whole cocktail of potential useful compounds.

Sadly, with the schedule 1 designation, such research is nearly impossible to conduct.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I feel like I need to point out marijuana is completely legal in a couple major US states...
0 x