Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Post by MaxPC »

You've piqued my interest in this case. Has sentence been given?

In the USA legal system, there is a point system for helping judges to create a more consistent sentencing history. It's necessary because our system is based on precedent: cases can come back to bite them if there's a whiff of discrimination. Those with no other criminal history or only minor traffic violations get the lightest sentences. Of course there are those judges who don't use the point system but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Re AG Sessions: his comments are directed to those cases of convicted with violent criminal histories. Sessions hopes to keep the repeat offenders off the streets; those who received light sentences in spite of a violent criminal history and were back on the streets committing more violent crimes - thanks to judges who didn't use the point system for sentencing.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

In Canada this would be a case where if proper remorse was shown and if there was some accountability set in place where because of lack of prior conviction I think the chances of him walking would be very high.
But due to the fact that they are almost making this a cross to die on they may figuratively get their wish. That makes me sad.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:You've piqued my interest in this case. Has sentence been given?
From the Lexington Herald-Leader article linked two pages ago,
Samuel A. Girod, a member of the Old Order Amish faith, is scheduled to be sentenced June 30 in Lexington
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

appleman2006 wrote:In Canada this would be a case where if proper remorse was shown and if there was some accountability set in place where because of lack of prior conviction I think the chances of him walking would be very high.
But due to the fact that they are almost making this a cross to die on they may figuratively get their wish. That makes me sad.
This particular offender has decided ignoring summons and declining counsel is the way to go. Basically, he's showing complete disrespect for the legal system.

A person who cannot respect properly instituted authority represents a threat to society. That's why we have courts, judges (who are chosen by voters where I live), and unfortunately have to have imprisonment by people who refuse to submit to society's shared standards.

At the end of the day, as a Christian, I don't need to sell special salves with health claims to live my faith. Romans 14 seems very relevant here.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
From the Lexington Herald-Leader article linked two pages ago,
Samuel A. Girod, a member of the Old Order Amish faith, is scheduled to be sentenced June 30 in Lexington
Thank you, OJ.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

appleman2006 wrote:
If you have a natural alternative health product that really is as great as you say it is then go through the regular legal means of marketing it. And if it really does work you will be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams if that is what you dream about. If what you dream about is just helping people you will have the ability to actually help far more people than you do now.
There are no short cuts to success and I am not sure that there should be."
From what I understand, since the 1950's, the American Medical Association (AMA) only recognizes three treatments for cancer, namely, radiation, chemotherapy, or surgery. No other approach can be brought to market in the USA, an example of this prohibition would be the history of the Gerson Institute, now in Mexico.

And there is no scientific comparisons by the AMA of success of failure of radiation, chemo, or surgery against these other techniques, especially the long term success rates of over 2 years with no remission.

You can't make money off the healthy, or the dead, but there is a entire industry that caters to treating the sick that hang on for as long as possible. I have seen what chemotherapy does. Chemo burns you from the inside out, and you are never the same after the "treatment."

A free sharing of ideas is what is needed today, with the independent auditing of the results to prove success or failure. Neither of these concepts will happen with the AMA in charge. There have been no radically new cancer treatments in the past 60 years, nor has there been independent auditing of the efficacy of chemo, radiation, or surgery.

And no herbal remedy for cancer will ever, ever, ever be allowed in the USA, especially if it works.

I am certain we disagree, but thank you for your comments.

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The AMA is not in charge of medicine in the US, and there are competing organisations. Not to mention totally different orgs in places like Canada, Europe, or Australia.

As far as dispensing drugs with health claims goes, the FDA is in charge. You could actually have an herbal remedy double blind tested to prove it works and then sell it with health / healing claims legally.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

You are correct John in that we disagree on that. I certainly do not buy into the fact that the whole medical world has conspired to work against a cure for cancer. In fact the very idea makes no sense at all to me for numerous reasons.

For one thing here in Canada the amount of money that our government would save if there was actually a better cure available is almost unbelievable And I expect that our government would look at anyone actually trying to hide a cure as being almost equivalent to treason. Health care funds are in extremely short supply up here and it is becoming more and more of an issue. You can be totally absolutely sure if there was a cheaper form of treatment that worked it would be used. Not doubt in my mind at all.

I stand by my statement if someone has a cure that is actually tested and verified. That person will be wealthy beyond comprehension. And trust me, hospitals are not worried about running out of work anytime soon at least not here in Canada. An alternative cure would be considered a Godsend by everyone involved.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JohnHurt wrote:
And no herbal remedy for cancer will ever, ever, ever be allowed in the USA, especially if it works.

I am certain we disagree, but thank you for your comments.

John
My guess is that you have never heard of homoharringtonine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omacetaxine_mepesuccinate

I was involved in the phase 1 on this. It is a substance from a yew tree.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

In the USA legal system, there is a point system for helping judges to create a more consistent sentencing history. It's necessary because our system is based on precedent: cases can come back to bite them if there's a whiff of discrimination. Those with no other criminal history or only minor traffic violations get the lightest sentences. Of course there are those judges who don't use the point system but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Re AG Sessions: his comments are directed to those cases of convicted with violent criminal histories. Sessions hopes to keep the repeat offenders off the streets; those who received light sentences in spite of a violent criminal history and were back on the streets committing more violent crimes - thanks to judges who didn't use the point system for sentencing.
Guess I was referring to this:
""Attorney General Jeff Sessions has a new directive for federal prosecutors across the country: charge suspects with the most serious offense you can prove."" (CNN )

JM
0 x
:hug: