Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Amish Salve-maker in Jail, Facing Federal Prison

Post by ohio jones »

Aaron wrote:How did the Engineer who finished the Panama Canal wipe out, without drugs, malaria and yellow fever (the two "very contagious" diseases that stopped the first Engineer who was commissioned to build the canal ? )
Without drugs?? Not sola pharma of course, but ...
Wikipedia wrote:Gorgas's sanitation department also provided about one ton of prophylactic quinine each year to people in the Canal Zone to combat malaria.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Good point about quinine. It was apparently very effective in Central America and Africa. It was not expensive, I think,
and could be put to good use today also, but according to some sources it was dis-continued by USA because it was not as profitable as other things that did not and do not work as well.... (unverified so far) ...

The point in Panama, was the same point in the Black Plague when the groups of people who already were practicing cleanliness as part of their lives being obedient to God were relatively 'safe' from the plague - and since so few of them got sick , they were blamed by others for causing the plague !
Likewise so many babies dying when delivered by doctors going from morgue to nursery without washing their hands...
they laughed/ mocked the doctor who warned them , for fifty years before they 'learned' to was their hands...

"While disease reduction dramatically improved the health of white workers, black workers—the majority of the canal workforce—continued to die in large numbers, at ten times the rate of white workers in 1906.[4] While medical care was provided to all, housing was not provided to black workers, many of whom had to live in tents and tenements outside the mosquito-controlled zone. In the end, 350 white workers had died compared to 4,500 black workers.[5] While the loss was tragic, it was far less than during the French era. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_me ... nama_Canal

"The Sanitation effort

The Canal Commission appointed Colonel William Crawford Gorgas in March 1904 as head of hospitals and sanitation. Under his leadership, many new departments of sanitation were founded, covering different aspects of the sanitation problem. Commissions were also formed to look after the basic welfare of laborers.

The sanitation work included clearing land and establishing quarantine facilities. The most ambitious part of the sanitation program, though, was undoubtedly the effort to eradicate the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Anopheles, the carriers of yellow fever and malaria, respectively, from the canal zone. There was initially considerable resistance to this program, as the "mosquito theory" was still considered controversial and unproven. However, with the support of chief engineer John Frank Stevens, who took over the post on July 26, 1905, Gorgas was finally able to put his ideas into action. "
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Josh wrote:I think truth objectively exists, so we can make a statement like "drinking bottled raw petroleum doesn't cure a variety of illnesses". And as Christians the truth is important to us.

Submission to the government is important too. So if they tell me something unreasonable, I do my best to submit to it, just like we expect a wife to do for her husband.

For some reason some of us plain folk are really good at the latter part (wives submitting to husbands) but really bad at the former part (submitting to the government when doing so gets in the way of profit).
The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
"For lack of knowledge MY people perish" ...... Who covers up the knowledge ? (political, religious, and corporate powers that be) ....
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Would you mind sharing this knowledge with us?
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:Would you mind sharing this knowledge with us?
Who's side are you on? Jesus' side, or the pharmkeia? (opposite sides)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:
When I gave my life to Christ, I left alcohol and casual drug use behind me.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Josh wrote:
Aaron wrote:
When I gave my life to Christ, I left alcohol and casual drug use behind me.
When I gave my life to Christ, and was immersed in Jesus' Name, I whole-heartedly pursued His Way, His Life, for me.

I still got tricked - taken in - deceived by that which is written deceives the whole world - "phrmk" (The Apocalypse chapter 18 I think) .....
I had NO IDEA it was written in the BIBLE ! Not one believer, pastor, teacher, anyone - not anyone, had warned me about that !
0 x