Trump Wars

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: Trump Wars

Post by Jazman »

mike wrote:Stay out of such discussions.
I try to do this... but when close family members and church members exhibit cult-like allegiance to him and sing his praises using exaggerated and unsubstantiated claims (eg this paraphrase, "God's blessing is on him because his mother was a praying mother; you know like my Mennonite grandmother" :shock: ), I wonder if one shouldn't say something sometime? Maybe your experience is different? I agree with not getting sucked into an argument that goes nowhere, but my conscience is continually pricking me with my desire and tendency to stay silent, particularly with people I consider brothers/sisters in Christ.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Jazman wrote:

I try to do this... but when close family members and church members exhibit cult-like allegiance to him and sing his praises using exaggerated and unsubstantiated claims (eg this paraphrase, "God's blessing is on him because his mother was a praying mother; you know like my Mennonite grandmother" :shock: ), I wonder if one shouldn't say something sometime? Maybe your experience is different? I agree with not getting sucked into an argument that goes nowhere, but my conscience is continually pricking me with my desire and tendency to stay silent, particularly with people I consider brothers/sisters in Christ.
Especially when some people use religious language and tell me that Trump is America's only hope ... seriously?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Jazman wrote:
I think if you have a consistent testimony of staying above politics, that is speaking loud enough in heated situations. If one of your family members wants your input, then proceed not from an oppositional or Democrat position, but rather from a non-participant position.

I'd compare it to when a homosexual person asks about my beliefs on his issue. It isn't that we are against only his homosexual lifestyle. I'm also against fornication, divorce & remarriage.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote:I think if you have a consistent testimony of staying above politics, that is speaking loud enough in heated situations. If one of your family members wants your input, then proceed not from an oppositional or Democrat position, but rather from a non-participant position.
Amen to that.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

RZehr wrote:I think if you have a consistent testimony of staying above politics, that is speaking loud enough in heated situations. If one of your family members wants your input, then proceed not from an oppositional or Democrat position, but rather from a non-participant position.

I'd compare it to when a homosexual person asks about my beliefs on his issue. It isn't that we are against only his homosexual lifestyle. I'm also against fornication, divorce & remarriage.
This is great advice RZehr, and this is something I am trying to do. I will say though, that sometimes when I've tried this, the comeback sounds something like this, "Oh so you're one of those Democrats or, you're just parroting the leftist/Democrat talking points!" I could be quoting Scripture and that's taken as a partisan jab because it it's considered opposition to their position (which it is). Generally that's when I back out of the conversation. But again I give your suggestion a big thumbs up for those times when saying a little is necessary.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:
Amen to that.
X3.

We all encounter adversarial personalities: those who see argument as their social currency. After a couple of back and forths we can generally tell if that's their MO. Sometimes you can get through, sometimes it's better to shake the dust, pray and walk away.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God