Bunny Trails: Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Meanwhile, in Texas

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:09 am
Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:21 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:00 pm
That's right, and they should choose to do that. But if you act in ways that fuel feelings of outrage in others, don't be surprised if they react in violence. It's not a right response, but my observation of the world is that it is a common response.
So Grace gave the example where migrants were temporarily housed in a Brooklyn school were because a storm threatened the encampment where they were staying. As Grace pointed out, there was outrage over this, including threats of violence. Was the City acting in a way that fueled the feelings of outrage in others?
That action alone hardly seems like it should fuel feelings of outrage. I have no idea what the surrounding details are, how it came about that there was an encampment of migrants there to begin with, or how the city handled the messaging surrounding the situation. I could imagine a situation where an action that would be otherwise benign could be a triggering event due to previous policies and actions that caused the action to become necessary.

As a rather lame example - if my generally diligent hardworking, trustworthy, careful neighbor has had a crop failure, and subsequently is unable to pay me for a load of hay as promised because one of his customers bounced a check on him, while I may be somewhat frustrated by the situation I likely won't be frustrated with him, specifically. If, on the other hand, I happen to know that he recently spent $20,000 on an extended vacation through Europe, depleting his savings such that a single bounced check leaves him unable to pay me for product I supplied, I would feel upset toward him. Even though the specific triggering event in both cases is identical and hardly a cause for anger, the background and then subsequent actions are informative as to whether reasonable prudence on my neighbor's part would have prevented the problem.

I simply have no idea what the situation was with migrants being housed in the Brooklyn school.
I agree context for the outrage matters, but we are also constantly being told to be angry and outraged. The news report that Grace posted begins with the phrase "parents are outraged." It's a typical lead-in to a news story because it gets attention, but what is the effect when we are told over and over to feel outrage about something?

To use your hypothetical -- let's say you don't actually know whether your neighbor can't pay you because he just spent $20,000 on an extended vacation in Europe, but another neighbor keeps gossiping and complaining about him to the point that you believe it and you resent him regardless of whether or not it's true. Or perhaps your neighbor did go on the trip and discovered right when they got back that his daughter has a rare form of cancer and treating it has wiped out his bank account. You stated that you have no idea what the situation with the migrants at the Brooklyn school was. I suspect most people have no idea what the situation really was, but we do know we're supposed to feel outraged by it.

I'm not against anger (I think there are times we should be angry), but I also think anger is a powerful emotion that can be easily manipulated for political gain. I think we're being told that the reason our lives are difficult is because someone else who is underserving is getting the things that we deserve. While there are limits to resources, life is rarely such a zero-sum proposition. There are lots of reasons why our lives might be more difficult and harder than we'd like, but it's easy to blame and feel outrage toward scapegoats.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:26 pm
Grace wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:01 pm I agree. And yes it will get crazier. People are tired and fed up at the lawless circus this country is turning into, and will take the law in their own hands, something that usually does not end well.
Or perhaps some politicians and influential voices are encouraging an atmosphere of political violence.
Biden posted on Twitter:
Looks like Donald Trump just won Iowa. He’s the clear frontrunner on the other side at this point,”
“But here’s the thing: this election was always going to be you and me vs extreme Maga Republicans. It was true yesterday and it’ll be true tomorrow.

In other words Biden is making the claim that anyone who doesn’t vote Democrat is an extremist.

And from one of the major networks:
“All the things that we think about, about electability, about what are people gaming out, but none of that matters when you believe that God has given you this country, that it is yours, and that everyone who is not a White, conservative Christian is a fraudulent American, is a less real American. Then you don’t care about electability. You care about what God has given you.”

“It is religion And I think what we have to actually confront – and this is what the Democrats are going to face – is this is now what White evangelicalism is. It is Christian nationalism. That’s the name of it, right?” It is all part of “White evangelical Christians of a certain mindset … that they own this country, that immigrants, that Brown people, that Hindus like Vivek Ramaswamy and his wife are illegitimate Americans. They are less legitimate Americans than they are…They’re not trying to convince people and win people over through politics. What they’re saying is, ‘We own this country, and everyone will bow down to us.”
1 x
JimFoxvog

Re: Bunny Trails: Politics

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm In other words Biden is making the claim that anyone who doesn’t vote Democrat is an extremist.
Or that his opponent is an extremist...for which he can make a good case.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:03 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm In other words Biden is making the claim that anyone who doesn’t vote Democrat is an extremist.
He terms are plural not singular. He wasn't just talking about his opponent, he was talking about the Millions of people who won't vote for him.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm Biden posted on Twitter:
Looks like Donald Trump just won Iowa. He’s the clear frontrunner on the other side at this point,”
“But here’s the thing: this election was always going to be you and me vs extreme Maga Republicans. It was true yesterday and it’ll be true tomorrow.

In other words Biden is making the claim that anyone who doesn’t vote Democrat is an extremist.

“All the things that we think about, about electability, about what are people gaming out, but none of that matters when you believe that God has given you this country, that it is yours, and that everyone who is not a White, conservative Christian is a fraudulent American, is a less real American. Then you don’t care about electability. You care about what God has given you.”

“It is religion And I think what we have to actually confront – and this is what the Democrats are going to face – is this is now what White evangelicalism is. It is Christian nationalism. That’s the name of it, right?” It is all part of “White evangelical Christians of a certain mindset … that they own this country, that immigrants, that Brown people, that Hindus like Vivek Ramaswamy and his wife are illegitimate Americans. They are less legitimate Americans than they are…They’re not trying to convince people and win people over through politics. What they’re saying is, ‘We own this country, and everyone will bow down to us.”
We all knew it was coming.
It’s official: 2024 is THE YEAR OF THE TRIPE
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:35 am
Grace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:24 pm Biden posted on Twitter:

We all knew it was coming.
It’s official: 2024 is THE YEAR OF THE TRIPE
LOOK! A TRIPE stamp. i want one. with lots of ink. TRIPE 2024. :dance:

0 x

UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:13 pm
He terms are plural not singular. He wasn't just talking about his opponent, he was talking about the Millions of people who won't vote for him.
I interpreted it as the other likely alternatives to Trump who might be on the ballot if Trump is disqualified. A significant minority of Republicans would not vote for a convicted felon, so if Trump is proven guilty of felonies, they might also choose another candidate.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am
I interpreted it as the other likely alternatives to Trump who might be on the ballot if Trump is disqualified. A significant minority of Republicans would not vote for a convicted felon, so if Trump is proven guilty of felonies, they might also choose another candidate.
Biden's statement, "it this election was always going to be you and me vs extreme Maga Republicans", is labeling anyone who votes for the clear nominee (Trump) on the Republican side are "extremists". But he is known for his labels, like him saying to a black person, "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black". Labeling a young woman as a "Lying dog faced pony soldier". Calling a reporter an SOB, for asking him a question he didn't like. The list is endless.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am

Biden's statement, "it this election was always going to be you and me vs extreme Maga Republicans", is labeling anyone who votes for the clear nominee (Trump) on the Republican side are "extremists". But he is known for his labels, like him saying to a black person, "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black". Labeling a young woman as a "Lying dog faced pony soldier". Calling a reporter an SOB, for asking him a question he didn't like. The list is endless.
You are a Trump supporter and you are criticizing BIDEN for using labels? Sheeh. Trump can pack more slurs into a single rage tweet than Biden goes through in a month.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm
The biases are off the charts. They get away with a lot, because they control a lot.

However, daily life across the board is sufficiently damaged, there are more+more deaf ears.
Thing is, libs have become candid, they don’t even lie about their awful policies anymore. They just say, “everything’s going to be worse for you, get used to it, you’re gonna love it - here’s a crumb for your trouble.”

Inflation (equivalent of, worse than, bank thieves)
Military conflict
Domestic conflict
Crime of all description
Rudderless courts
Homelessness
Border insecurity

What did i forget?

^^“Orange Man Bad” doesn’t matter much with all that going on. Orange Man Bad = smh

i’m still interested in KRISTI NOEM as VP.
Vivek - head of the U.S. Dept of Education. (He’s too strong to be VP.) The DOE is in dire need.
0 x

UNKNOWN