Bunny Trails: Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:12 am I saw no fights. Disagreeing with the opinion of others, is not a fight.
But accusing people of hatred and calling them deranged is fighting:
Grace wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:38 am This thread is more about why Trump should be hated, than it is about election investigations. It is an outlet for TDS.
And it distracts from factual discussion of anything at all. It becomes all about the fight. And isn't it a way of promoting hatred of the people who annoy you?

I can't imagine saying those things about someone unless I hated them and was in some kind of fight and wanted to make them look bad.
Grace wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:12 am As for Trump looking bad, when Biden's overwhelming destruction on the country, his brutal death promoting policies, his dangerous lies, are revealed, it is viewed as hatred. Hold to the standard that you frequently say others should use.
None of those things are about election investigations. If you really want to compare Trump vs Biden on any of these other topics, why not start a thread about them?

Use rational language, focus on facts, don't personally attack people who disagree with you. We probably disagree about a lot of things, but let's do it without hate, and let's do it in a way that is a good witness to Christianity. Do it in a way that clearly looks nothing at all like hate.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:36 am And it distracts from factual discussion of anything at all. It becomes all about the fight. And isn't it a way of promoting hatred of the people who annoy you?
Bootstrap post what you want to say and let others post what they want to say. If it is out of line, the Mods will deal with it.
3 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:05 pm Yet another way you are trying to control conversation. I know you do not see it, but this is what you are doing.
I really am trying to have conversations that are about the same subject as the thread. That is a form of control. But is it objectionable? If so, why?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:08 pm That is a form of control. But is it objectionable?
Yes it is objectionable because you are telling someone else what they can and can not post. You are not speaking what your thoughts and opinions, but dictating the actions of another.

I am sorry if it makes it hard for you to discuss. You can start another thread and ask someone to join you, but telling them they can not post in a thread because it is not the topic is a Mod task.
2 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:05 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:08 pm That is a form of control. But is it objectionable?
Yes it is objectionable because you are telling someone else what they can and can not post. You are not speaking what your thoughts and opinions, but dictating the actions of another.

I am sorry if it makes it hard for you to discuss. You can start another thread and ask someone to join you, but telling them they can not post in a thread because it is not the topic is a Mod task.
Filibustering a topic is also a form of control, flooding a thread with everything you would rather discuss than the subject. And implying or stating negative things about people who disagree with you in a thread is also a form of control. I can't force anyone to stay on the subject or to stop making it a personal fight, but I can request that. And the off-topic posting and insults are often linked - what kind of person are you that you want to discuss X when you should be discussing Y instead? So I respond by saying let's discuss Y, but not here.

Nobody thinks I am a moderator. I can't tell them that they are not allowed to do these things. But would like to be able to discuss the subject of a thread and ask others to make room for that.

I don't see you saying anything here about accusing people of hatred or calling them deranged. That kind of emotional flooding is also a kind of control. When I flag posts like that for moderators, they are usually closed without comment. I think I am looking for constructive ways to respond.

Another way of putting it: Why is off-topic posting a preferred form of speech? Why is it always OK to flood a thread with these things, including insults to people who want to discuss the topic? Why is it not OK to ask people to discuss those other things in other threads? Both of these are forms of control.

How free is speech if it is not possible to discuss a topic?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:05 pm

To me, at least, "could you please" is a way of asking. What was it that you interpreted as going beyond that?

Here is the post you were responding to:
Robert wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:05 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:46 pm
Grace wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:15 pm Trump's beliefs about the 2020 election were wrong, but they pale in light of the threat that Joe Biden is on the democracy of this country.
Grace, I think that a lot of what is in this thread is ACTIONS that threaten democracy. You don't address that.

If you believe that Joe Biden is also acting in ways that threaten democracy, and they aren't about election investigations, could you please be specific so we can spin off more threads? I just started these two, to address claims you have made here that are unrelated to election investigations:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61114

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6110

Or if the quote above is making specific claims about election investigations, could you please be specific, with evidence for the claims?
Yet another way you are trying to control conversation. I know you do not see it, but this is what you are doing.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

As I go back and reread the post, I read it wrong the first time. You did request. I missed it on the first read. I apologize for the mistake.
2 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:40 am Filibustering a topic is also a form of control, flooding a thread with everything you would rather discuss than the subject.
Many do this, in the Political threads, from both sides.

It does get quite old that several here have to constantly drag in anything negative from Trump, but they ignore all the negative with the Bidens. It is also annoying when some ignore the negative abut Trump, but I do not see the constant drag in of anything that could be the slightest bit negative about the Bidens.

Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) which has been referred to here before is a condition where someone takes anything done by Trump and views it and distorts it to the most negative way possible. No the man is not a saint, but he is not evil incarnate either. TDS is about people who can not see a balance because they are so convinced that Trump is the ultimate evil and will destroy modern life.

Johnathan Turley once said "Some good presidents do some bad things and some bad presidents do some good things." I think this is quite balanced, yet some here, and I include you in that group, seem compelled to bring anything negative here as a way to justify the dislike of Trump. We get it. We understand you really dislike the guy. I see no need to constantly flood the forum with negativity. This is why I do not do the same with Biden. The daily gaffes, the terrible policies, the inflation, the terrible parenting, the 50 years of embezzlement, and I could go on. I feel no need to prove to everyone how bad this man really is, yet I totally see it and feel it.

We have people on both sides of the political debate. When one side is constantly berated, it creates tribes and forces people to coalesce into camps. Instead of us finding common ground and supporting one another, we go at each other.

Most will ignore a comment or two, but when there is a constant filibuster of negative and attacks, they get tired and respond. The response NOT be in support of the constant filibuster of negativity.

The whole thing comes down to trust. Some do not trust Trump so they take anything he does in the most negative way. Some trust Trump so they take what he does in the most positive way. This is just human nature. We do that with many things. We often find what we are looking for then we try to convince everyone around us that what we "see" is the way it is, like me trying to convince my family that Bigfoot is real. I got a lot of evidence and things that can "prove" it, yet I have never seen one. Yet, I continue to look for one where ever I go. Proving a politician is good or bad is kind of like finding Bigfoot. You may have a lot of facts, but the real body is quite hard to find.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 am
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:40 am Filibustering a topic is also a form of control, flooding a thread with everything you would rather discuss than the subject.

It does get quite old that several here have to constantly drag in anything negative from Trump, but they ignore all the negative with the Bidens. It is also annoying when some ignore the negative abut Trump, but I do not see the constant drag in of anything that could be the slightest bit negative about the Bidens.

Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) which has been referred to here before is a condition where someone takes anything done by Trump and views it and distorts it to the most negative way possible. No the man is not a saint, but he is not evil incarnate either. TDS is about people who can not see a balance because they are so convinced that Trump is the ultimate evil and will destroy modern life.

Johnathan Turley once said "Some good presidents do some bad things and some bad presidents do some good things." I think this is quite balanced, yet some here, and I include you in that group, seem compelled to bring anything negative here as a way to justify the dislike of Trump. We get it. We understand you really dislike the guy. I see no need to constantly flood the forum with negativity. This is why I do not do the same with Biden. The daily gaffes, the terrible policies, the inflation, the terrible parenting, the 50 years of embezzlement, and I could go on. I feel no need to prove to everyone how bad this man really is, yet I totally see it and feel it.

We have people on both sides of the political debate. When one side is constantly berated, it creates tribes and forces people to coalesce into camps. Instead of us finding common ground and supporting one another, we go at each other.

Most will ignore a comment or two, but when there is a constant filibuster of negative and attacks, they get tired and respond. The response NOT be in support of the constant filibuster of negativity.

The whole thing comes down to trust. Some do not trust Trump so they take anything he does in the most negative way. Some trust Trump so they take what he does in the most positive way. This is just human nature. We do that with many things. We often find what we are looking for then we try to convince everyone around us that what we "see" is the way it is, like me trying to convince my family that Bigfoot is real. I got a lot of evidence and things that can "prove" it, yet I have never seen one. Yet, I continue to look for one where ever I go. Proving a politician is good or bad is kind of like finding Bigfoot. You may have a lot of facts, but the real body is quite hard to find.
Spot on and well said, Robert.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 am
I think that's the problem. It's actually a pattern that can be called trolling. Staying on subject and not getting personal is probably the best way to avoid that.
Robert wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 amIt does get quite old that several here have to constantly drag in anything negative from Trump, but they ignore all the negative with the Bidens. It is also annoying when some ignore the negative abut Trump, but I do not see the constant drag in of anything that could be the slightest bit negative about the Bidens.
I see the balance differently. And I think the balance looks different if we use the same standards for both sides, which is the main thing I am promoting. The same standard of evidence. The same standard when we evaluate the seriousness of an accusation. Let's set things up where we can make fair, considered comparisons.

Two days ago, Trump was found guilty of fraud in the State of New York. Not a peep here. Nobody started a thread to discuss that. Two days ago, an impeachment inquiry was held. None of the three witnesses called by the Republicans believed that there is currently evidence for an impeachment against Joe Biden. That may change over time, but right now Donald Trump is facing quite a few criminal trials, and Joe Biden is not. If we had a thread for each trial facing Trump, MN would look very different than it does now.

Unless you insist that all politicians must be equally guilty, regardless of what they do, regardless of the level of evidence, there's simply a lot more evidence of wrongdoing by Trump. I the major findings of the following are based on mountains of evidence, and the facts remain facts, despite the political rhetoric:

1. The Mueller Report
2. The conviction of the Chief Financial Officer of the Trump Corporation
3. The first impeachment, involving corrupt political dealings in Ukraine
4. The second impeachment, involving January 6th
5. The January 6th report
6. The findings of every single election board
7. The findings of every single court that has looked at challenges to the election
8. The damages that Fox had to pay for knowingly spreading lies about Dominion Voting Machines, even though their own emails showed they did not believe these lies.

No other president in American history has faced criminal indictments. Or credible allegations of rape. Or tried to tax deduct hush money paid to a prostitute during an election. So since the above were done, we now have:

9. Sexual abuse and defamation against Jean Carroll
10. Stealing classified documents, showing them to people and bragging about them, not taking precautions to keep them secret, lying about what he has, and refusing to return them
11. A ruling that Trump himself committed fraud by making wild claims about the value of his properties - and wildly different claims to the tax authorities
12. A federal trial about Trump's role in January 6th - after the Mitch McConnell explicitly said that a criminal trial was the appropriate remedy for this.
13. A Georgia trial about Trump's attempt to shake down Raffensberger and intimidate him into changing the results of the election
14. The Stormy Daniels hush money case

That's not all, but there's a pattern here. All of those things are currently ongoing or recently settled cases against Trump. I don't think there has ever been another president like this.
Robert wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 amTrump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) which has been referred to here before is a condition where someone takes anything done by Trump and views it and distorts it to the most negative way possible.
In other words, only a deranged person would make a list of the times that courts, election boards, and investigations have concluded that Trump engaged in serious wrongdoing. That kind of person should be treated as an outsider, not part of our political group think. But what other objective measure would you use?

And of course, if that person would call your side deranged, he would be treated very differently. There is a style of political passion that is built largely on this dynamic. And there's a strong element of denial that turns it into gaslighting. So people use words like "deranged", then insist that it isn't name calling. Or they accuse people who disagree with them of "hate", but are shocked when others think that accusing others of hate can be a way of spreading hate.

The solution is not to mandate what you are supposed to believe in order to be perceived as sane. The solution is to encourage reasonable discussion if we are to discuss these things at all - look at facts and evidence, using the same standards for both. Back in 2016, we did not know whether Trump had done anything wrong or not in the election. So back then, I withheld judgment and waited for things to come out. My posts back then had a lot of "if true, this would be serious". That's where we are at with the claims against Biden now. They may turn out to be true, with strong evidence. They will be a lot more newsworthy then. But when all three witnesses called by the Republicans say that evidence is not yet there, it's a little premature to claim that it has been proven.

And even if that were proven, it doesn't really compare to all the things that have been determined already about Trump. With more to come in upcoming trials. Perhaps some day we will have a similar list of findings for Joe Biden, but we certainly don't have that yet. Or for any other president.
Robert wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 amWe have people on both sides of the political debate. When one side is constantly berated, it creates tribes and forces people to coalesce into camps. Instead of us finding common ground and supporting one another, we go at each other.
I would be perfectly happy if we would stop talking about politics here. But I think that in general, the MAGA tribe is promoting itself quite strongly here, and people only object if someone pushes back on that. And I think that as Christians, we really do need to reject that level of loyalty to ANY political tribe.
2 x