March in DC January 6

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: March in DC January 6

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:02 am
Interesting you comment on the source instead of the material.
Because of the utter untrustworthiness of the source, I expect the material is simply fabricated, so not worth the time to look at.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:38 am Because of the utter untrustworthiness of the source
And where do you get this information from? They release full videos of the investigative reports along with the edited clips so anyone can watch for context. I did that when the abortion clinic exposé was released. Nothing was shown out of context. Videos of people spouting off is kind of hard to take out of context when they are making claims in the videos. It is their own words.

Again, feel free to hide from the reporting. You can ignore and move on. I am just responding to your assertions that it is not credible. I find it credible until you can show me facts that show it is not, not hearsay.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PositiveSeeker
Affiliation: Non-Denominational

Post by PositiveSeeker »

Wow this thread didn’t age well. Mennonites were among those people? :cry:
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:54 am Correction: accused of a (political) crime.
This is a lengthy topic.
Aside from rumors, i don’t recall charges or convictions of any claiming or accused of being Mennonite.
(Please correct if incorrect.)

Evidently, there were 19 marches by these folks, this was the only one with publicity.
i wasn’t aware of any of the marches until this publicity. No mention on this forum until this publicity.
No indication of Menno involvement in the 18-19 ignored marches.

- - - - - - -
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:26 am It would be good to see the government refrain from throwing more people in solitary confinement for a year like they did last year. Political prisons and political prisoners aren't a good thing.

- - - - - - -

MCUSA?
2018 / “Big Brother is Watching: FBI Surveillance of Antiwar Activities at Mennonite Colleges in the 1960s” - Document
https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA ... 7Eb9a79599
Publisher: Mennonite Historical Society
Main content

Abstract :

During the Vietnam War era, U.S. Mennonites were not of one mind on the best way to witness for peace.
Students at Mennonite colleges were often more radical in their approach than many in the church--outspoken enough to attract the attention of the FBI.

The Freedom of Information Act makes it possible to obtain files from FBI reports on Mennonite colleges, which show ongoing surveillance at Bethel College of the Peace Club and individuals on campus. Student and faculty protest activities drew criticism from the local non-pacifist population but also from college administrators and the Western District of the General Conference Mennonite Church, who preferred a quieter and more orderly response to the Vietnam War and the draft.

In the end, the FBI determined that the actions of the students at Bethel College were in keeping with the Mennonite peace tradition.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PositiveSeeker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:43 am Wow this thread didn’t age well. Mennonites were among those people? :cry:
Occasionally one finds plain-ish people at political protests, such as the people from Finny Kuravilla’s church who went to BLM protests in Boston and Richmond.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 am This is a lengthy topic.
Aside from rumors, i don’t recall charges or convictions of any claiming or accused of being Mennonite.
Page 51.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:18 am
Page 51.
Yup. I mentioned Jolene Eicher had been arrested in Virginia. Temp responded:
i sent a question to mods.
i’m not sure about naming+shaming little girls, esp by well-educated responsible men. her older brothers in Christ.
Eicher wasn't a little girl, btw.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:18 am
Page 51.

right. i counted on the arrows to refer back to Page 51 54 for anyone interested in that discussion.
i don’t know the outcome of J. Eicher. (i first thot she was a high school student, then corrected.)

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/defenda ... her-jolene
https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-mu ... 6/download

i don’t see a ruling.
i know nothing about her outside of what is posted in this thread.

she doesn’t represent me in any way, so i’m not inclined to pass judgment on her in any way -
in any way different from any others present, including security officers. i wasn’t there, i don’t know.

in this incident, and then in Canada, the 2022 truck convoy, it’s clear, plain dress is easy to spot, easy to criticize. maybe not so much by the world, but by brothers/sisters.

that’s something to think about. both pros+cons.
in this age of “cameras everywhere,” to dress plainly could blow up on any given day. that’s a heavy load.

i’m not suggesting i have answers. not at all. it’s a new thought for me. while others have grown up with it.
1 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

:roll: She wasn't dressed "plain."
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:25 pm : She wasn't dressed "plain."

that’s definitely correct (as seen in pictures) - i thought she was wearing a covering?? i’m not sure.
but, coverings are used to spot people in crowds, standing along highways, right? (my perception.) no matter how few in numbers.
i think this is the case recently for Hutterites standing on roadsides in Canada, but at other times, too.

there have been lots of discussions on dress, plain dress, coverings. usually about positives.
i just never thot about the aspect of being easily spotted in controversial situations. being made a spectacle.

(i loathe standing out, shy away from cameras.) i’m not a fan of cameras-everywhere.

as well, it brings new questions of the original scriptural motive: to be modest, not drawing attention.
plain dress, distinctive dress, uniforms .. dress is often used for identity.
0 x

UNKNOWN