Islamist Ideology & Its Threat

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Islamist Ideology & Its Threat

Post by Ernie »

Here is a new book that is written by an Anabaptist that really gets to the heart of the matter. This is a great little book to give away right now.

https://tgsinternational.com/product/radical-islam/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

justme wrote:i suppose the natives here shouldn't have accepted and helped the first settlers.
i've been thinking of that more than i used to.
america as we know it, was built on refugees and immigrants.
Furthermore, those white faces brought guns and ammo and diseases. Do we need to discuss the Dakota Access Pipeline, yet? To all you white faces who want strong borders, walls, and extreme vetting, please, get a grip.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote:Here is a new book that is written by an Anabaptist that really gets to the heart of the matter. This is a great little book to give away right now.

i admit to being fearful of reading this book.
hopefully, in a year's time, i might be less fearful? i hope.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Martin wrote:
justme wrote:i suppose the natives here shouldn't have accepted and helped the first settlers.
Furthermore, those white faces brought guns and ammo and diseases. Do we need to discuss the Dakota Access Pipeline, yet? To all you white faces who want strong borders, walls, and extreme vetting, please, get a grip.
i wish i had a link, i don't ..
in recent years, i saw an interesting statement by a living native American leader:
from my memory, he was saying he had no ill feelings about the European migration.
his view, it seemed a thoughtful and educated one, was that major migration from another continent was inevitable, it just happened to be Europeans ..

native American peoples were/are like all peoples: not all of one mind. :)

also, in recent years, it's been found that people have been migrating (always) that American natives migrated to this continent from others .. we know, in NT scriptures, how people, not the first people, traveled long distances, often on foot. it's hard to imagine in a real way, but, it's true.

it's amazing how the disciples moved around, this was Jesus' instruction! - to go!

this earth is not heaven, not yet ..
we have governments and borders, scriptures do not support anarchy.

the people who migrated (i.e., all people) did not have the advantage of being Monday morning quarterbacks. it's only in comfort that there is liesure to look back with disdain.

if we were they, we would be the same, we are the same, if anything, we may not be as good .. we do need to "get a grip" on this much. :)

Ernie had an interesting question about inherited guilt and what to do with it:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=306&hilit=forgive
by Ernie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 pm

I don't question the sincerity of these folks at all, but can someone help me understand how people can forgive each other for things they never did to each other and whether there is any NT theology for this?
later ----------
Page 3 -
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=342&start=20
by appleman2006 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

And I as well. Mike is hitting the exact points that have left me scratching my head as I look at the reaction to what is happening in your country.
i had a literal nightmare after reading this (Islamist) thread .. awoke thinking, i need to reread "The Lord of the Flies." :(
has cyberspace created a 21st Century "uninhabited island" visited by "(ignorance) attempting to govern itself?" ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies
"Lord of the Flies is a 1954 novel by Nobel Prize-winning English author William Golding.

The book's premise focuses on a group of British boys stranded on an uninhabited island and their attempt to govern themselves, with disastrous results."
nightmares can bring awful thoughts. :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Truth Temp- "American" Indians were not created here in this land. I for one have some Indian blood (so I told, strange mix with Celtic!) - yet I still support protecting the people here from ISIS, Al Queada & other radical Islamists- probably because since I listen to a lot of Christian radio and used to watch t.v., I have heard many former Muslims tell the 'truth' about their religion-
These are not just 'immigrants' they have a purpose and they believe their purpose is NOW to convert the world to Islam- you really cannot compare these, to other immigrants-at all.

I think it is terrible what happened to the Indian people- but like many 'peoples' they were killing their own as well. You find this everywhere there seems to be tribal people like that and is something missionaries encountered when bringing the Gospel.

There are ministries to the native Americans and I wonder why more people are not involved in righting that wrong, ministering to them- America itself has become a mission field-
Last edited by Valerie on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ernie wrote:Here is a new book that is written by an Anabaptist that really gets to the heart of the matter. This is a great little book to give away right now.

This book looks interesting- I don't think we should live in fear of radical Islam, neither do I think we should invite false gods that promote much of what Sharia law and radical Islam dictate to do to attempt to force Islam on people- or kill them- this is what's happening in their own land. If Anabaptists really believe this, I am not sure why they took refuge in America to begin with? Why didn't they stay where there was not a threat of death? OR do Anabaptists TODAY believe it was a wrong move, to take refuge in America because of persecution?
I'm trying to understand-

In other words, if you believe Jesus wants people to invite false gods to their land- when He said "go" and make disciples- I suppose I would need to read the book to understand where he is coming from.

Why are the refugees to begin with?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

justme wrote:
Josh wrote:If we accept a lot of refugees from specific countries, they will eventually cluster with other refugees with whom they share a culture, language, and religion. Eventually these enclaves will look very much like the places they came from.
well, yes.
church plants use a similar process.
it's human nature, i would say.

i suppose the natives here shouldn't have accepted and helped the first settlers.
It certainly wasn't in their best interests to do so.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Martin wrote:
So, because white people did bad things in the 1600s, white people in the 2000s can't ask to live in a stable society? How does that make sense?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:

This book looks interesting- I don't think we should live in fear of radical Islam, neither do I think we should invite false gods that promote much of what Sharia law and radical Islam dictate to do to attempt to force Islam on people- or kill them- this is what's happening in their own land. If Anabaptists really believe this, I am not sure why they took refuge in America to begin with? Why didn't they stay where there was not a threat of death? OR do Anabaptists TODAY believe it was a wrong move, to take refuge in America because of persecution?
I'm trying to understand-

In other words, if you believe Jesus wants people to invite false gods to their land- when He said "go" and make disciples- I suppose I would need to read the book to understand where he is coming from.

Why are the refugees to begin with?
Most "refugees" are seeking better economic opportunity, although that isn't the case with the particular families Bootstrap is dealing with.

Most of the "refugees" in Europe are young men. Not intact families or other groups you would expect to be more likely to be victims.
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

My mom just bought this book, but I haven't read it yet. Another book that I recommend is "Children of Jihad" by Jared Cohen. Also, I want to read the Martyrs Mirror along with J Lowry's "The Martyrs Mirror made Plain" to refresh my memory on the early Martyrs' response to their Christian persecutors.

Staying on the original thread, my cousin and I do not have the most peaceful discussions about Islamic ideology. My cousin argues that shutting the gate will keep Muslims out of the country which in turn will make us safer. My counter argument is that it's an ideology so gates, walls, and vetting will not rid us of radical Muslims. Also, I had teachers that would say that persecution was the seedbed of the early church. So, my question. Is the US counter-offensive actually spreading Islam?
0 x