General existing world immigration/border notes

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: General existing world immigration/border notes

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:Just in the past week or so an Ontario pastor and his wife were heading to MBS where he was to serve as third term principal. They were turned back at the border. They went home, and the MBS board hired a lawyer to get them better paperwork. With new paperwork in hand, they went back to the border several days later and were turned back again.
Can you say more? Why were they turned away?
I don't have a lot of details yet, I understood that he was told on his first try that the 'principal' thing was the sticking point. Several others from here crossed successfully as 'teachers'.

There were other factors back home, in this case it may have been that it was not the Lord's will for them to go, I don't know. They aren't planning on trying again this year.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:State Borders:
even decades ago, California had agricultural "check points" at their borders, i presume they remain (??) i'm not sure if other states have these (??) i have sat in hot dusty cars on the desert, waiting in line to be approved for entry.
Interesting. Having never driven into California, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to continue to transport my agricultural pests by Amtrak or on domestic flights.

Hawaii does have a declaration form for flights arriving from the mainland US, and luggage inspection on departure (both of which can be avoided if you fly from, say, Seattle to Portland via Honolulu without leaving the airport).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:State Borders:
even decades ago, California had agricultural "check points" at their borders, i presume they remain (??) i'm not sure if other states have these (??) i have sat in hot dusty cars on the desert, waiting in line to be approved for entry.
Interesting. Having never driven into California, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to continue to transport my agricultural pests by Amtrak or on domestic flights.

Hawaii does have a declaration form for flights arriving from the mainland US, and luggage inspection on departure (both of which can be avoided if you fly from, say, Seattle to Portland via Honolulu without leaving the airport).
it's odd how unknown these existing rules are.
1970's: we were surprised/not prepared, but, there was nothing new about them even then.
we were glad we decided against bringing fav houseplants along with us as we moved. no fruit allowed.

Airports: not created equally
2005-ish: when our daughter traveled to Greece to live+work, post Homeland Security. she began her journey in a small local airport, to connect at O'Hare for the international flight.

she was carefully screened at the local airport, then "waved on at O'Hare," the opposite of all our expectations! - she was told in O'Hare that the local airport she used was known for careful screening, their screening was acceptable to them. that helped her overall experience a lot!

of course, things change. we would hope for similar today, but prepare for anything.

in the prior 8 years, i have often thought i'm glad my family is in the U.S. now.
the way politics and border rules change, TSA changes, etc., one never knows about getting stuck somewhere.

2016: last summer, my daughter+grdaughter were in the big JFK airport panic.
they were terrified. my daughter was most afraid of being trampled, separated from her 8 year old. they were on the front edge of a huge crowd all running for their lives inside the airport.

it was something for the many there, in the airport, and, flights were cancelled. they had a most uncomfortable 24 hours, then were put on another flight.
not much reporting on it.

soccer seems to be a dangerous sport for spectators.

JFK: Rules, rules, and more rules:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/JF ... 94745.html
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN