Chicago

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Chicago

Post by temporal1 »

i’ve never lived in southern illinois, nor suggested it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:26 pm
The two candidates were also of different height. Are you going to next claim temporal1 is making this about height?
i’m not looking them up, there have been studies citing height matters, people generally prefer taller leaders.
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:51 pm
AndersonD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:32 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:29 am

OK, fair enough.

You say you "live in the surrounding debris field of Chicago"
Can we all bow our heads and thank our gracious Creator for living in a "land of milk and honey"?
Are we living in the land of milk and honey?
India is #1 in milk and #7 in honey.
USA is #2 in milk and #6 in honey.
China is #1 in honey, and #4 in milk.
Turkey is #2 in honey, and #9 in milk.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:32 pm Can we all bow our heads and thank our gracious Creator for living in a "land of milk and honey"?
Whilst mine own street is quite secure, and I am indeed siping on fresh Jersey milk with family-produced raw honey, it seems quite appropriate and indeed in order with what my Creator asks me to do to be concerned with my neighbours plagued with violence and wonder what can be done to bring more peace into such places.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:57 pm i’ve never lived in southern illinois, nor suggested it.
"downstate" then, or however you folks refer to it.

The question remains. How does Chicago's choice of mayor affect your life directly? And how is your life different from how it would be if you lived across the border in red state Indiana?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:42 pm
temporal1 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:57 pm i’ve never lived in southern illinois, nor suggested it.

The question remains. How does Chicago's choice of mayor affect your life directly? And how is your life different from how it would be if you lived across the border in red state Indiana?
^^i might return to this later, in the Bunny Trails: Politics thread.
viewtopic.php?t=3487&start=250

This topic is more about the crime crisis centered in Chicago (other lib-led cities are suffering similarly) -
with emphasis on those “doing the heavy lifting” of finding tangible response. The sources i appreciate focus on the importance of parenting, the value of fathers present in their homes, churches and Christian values.

i like to think many are supportive of all these street-level, not politically organized efforts.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:42 pm

Here is a hypothesis: people who live in X metropolitan area are often affected by the most powerful politician in the executive branch of the largest city in X metropolitan area.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:31 pm
AndersonD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:32 pm Can we all bow our heads and thank our gracious Creator for living in a "land of milk and honey"?
Whilst mine own street is quite secure, and I am indeed siping on fresh Jersey milk with family-produced raw honey, it seems quite appropriate and indeed in order with what my Creator asks me to do to be concerned with my neighbours plagued with violence and wonder what can be done to bring more peace into such places.
I am responding to Temp's comment of "a debris field".
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

AndersonD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:43 pm I am responding to Temp's comment of "a debris field".
Unfortunately, what I see when I dare to trespass in the cities such as Chicago is a "debris field", not a "land of milk and honey" - quite literally. Trash is strewn everywhere. Ugliness prevails. The people look sickly and mis-fed - it would appear they are in need of milk and honey (and, indeed, in need of spiritual food as well). I am becoming more and more open to the idea that in order to reach the spirit in need of the gospel, we must first take steps to nourish and heal the body.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:41 pm
AndersonD wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:43 pm I am responding to Temp's comment of "a debris field".
Unfortunately, what I see when I dare to trespass in the cities such as Chicago is a "debris field", not a "land of milk and honey" - quite literally. Trash is strewn everywhere. Ugliness prevails. The people look sickly and mis-fed - it would appear they are in need of milk and honey (and, indeed, in need of spiritual food as well). I am becoming more and more open to the idea that in order to reach the spirit in need of the gospel, we must first take steps to nourish and heal the body.
The last time I visited Chicago it looked like this

The last time I visited rural southern Illinois it looked like this.

You are free to live wherever you want. But there are many reasons why people choose to live in cities. They are, in fact, the economic engines of our nation and provide far more opportunity for most people than rural areas ever can.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr