Chicago

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Chicago

Post by temporal1 »

Chicago is in big trouble, has been for years+years.
This morning i read this ..
Black pastor .. gang leaders ..
Bizpac Review
On Wednesday, President Donald Trump met with several black leaders, including Cleveland Heights, Ohio megachurch pastor Rev. Darrell Scott, as a part of African-American History Month.

During the meeting, the New Revival Center senior pastor told the president that several top Chicago gang members had reached out to him with the desire to work with the president to deal with the rampant violence taking place in the city, according to CBS.

According to Scott, those gang leaders “believe in this administration” and in President Trump’s stated goal to deal with inner-city violence.

Interestingly, “They didn’t believe in the prior administration. They told me this out of their mouths,” Scott told the president and other round table participants.

“They reached out to me, because they’re associating me with you.” Scott continued, “They respect you. They believe in what you’re doing, and they want to have a sit-down about lowering that body count. So in a couple weeks, I’m going into Chicago. I said we’ve got to lower that body count. We don’t want to talk about anything else; get that body count down, and they agreed that the principals that can do it – these are guys straight from the streets, no politicians, straight street guys – but they’re going to commit that if they lower that body count, we’ll come in and we’ll do some social programs.”

It’s a two-way street, the gang leaders told Scott. If the Trump administration will invest in social programs for poor urban residents, they would do their part to try to decrease current violence levels that have reached epidemic proportions.

To which Trump responded, “I think that’s a great idea, because Chicago is totally out of control. If they’re not going to solve the problem — and what you’re doing is the right thing — then we’re going to solve the problem for them, because we’re going to have to do something about Chicago, because what’s happening in Chicago should not be happening in this country."

According to CBS, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has also called for federal assistance from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms and FBI.

“Send more FBI, DEA, ATF agents. We don’t have to talk about it anymore. Just send them,” Emanuel said.

Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of BizPac Review.
Not sure of the date, but, at least 2 years ago ..
Chicago Activists Unchained

heartbreaking.

Chicago murders / Afghanistan war zone fatalities
https://www.aei.org/publication/trump-r ... es-and-no/

i have mixed feelings. in my life, i've come to believe pastors need to be very cautious about leading their flocks to seek answers through government. it always begins with good intentions .. but, human reasoning, human law, so easily "go wonky." :(

we have become so accustomed to turning to human law! is there hope we can do better?

this thread is about Chicago.

i cannot overstate how hopeful people in Chicago and the State of Illinois were about obama as POTUS. considering the violence and murders, maybe Caesar will be necessary to restore order (?)
of course, that's never the sole answer! .. but, somehow, boundaries must be established to enable civilized life to exist.

the starting place in Chicago today is sad. the entire State of Illinois is in trouble.
lib politicians, both parties, including those in D.C., have failed to accomplish anything other than to generously line their own pockets.

if not profitable for politicians, they would not be present - they would have left right along with all the private businesses+people they've alienated and driven out.

will improvement follow? .. could it?
if this thread gathers pages, will a desperate situation transform into a hopeful one? we can pray.
i do believe in miracles.

OP REQUESTS: :)
this thread is for informal discussion between "simple folk" who are uncertain of answers.
if you happen to know it all, highly value your own opinions, believe others are unworthy, please share elsewhere .. (it's ok, no one gets left out, we'll go there and read that, too!) :blah:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Chicago

Post by MaxPC »

During the meeting, the New Revival Center senior pastor told the president that several top Chicago gang members had reached out to him with the desire to work with the president to deal with the rampant violence taking place in the city, according to CBS.
I'm glad to see this. Solutions need to come from within; both in the city and in their hearts. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Sounds like there could be refugees from Chicago soon, if there are not some already.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:Sounds like there could be refugees from Chicago soon, if there are not some already.
There already have been. I know a number of folks who left Chicago because of the violence, including a couple of small businesses.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Thank you for sharing this!
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:
Robert wrote:Sounds like there could be refugees from Chicago soon, if there are not some already.
There already have been.
I know a number of folks who left Chicago because of the violence, including a couple of small businesses.
our highways serve as conduits for crime coming out of Chicago. there are various downstate small towns that "enjoy" overflow Chicago gun violence, robberies, etc.

i'm shocked at reports of meth labs in distinctly rural areas/farm areas with high unemployment.
the highways connect Chicago with St Louis .. crime travels.

state universities attract criminals.
many young students come to (my county) to attend a big state university .. they often have a false sense of security about coming to a safe "hick town" to go to school, are too trusting, end up being assaulted, robbed, and worse. the university tries to warn incoming freshmen .. but, at that age, "they know it all." it's not politically expedient to be overly truthful, the university is all-about protecting its image of being a stellar institution, bad press is minimized.

there is a "Tale of Two Cities" factor, not all of Chicago is a war zone .. but, it's hard to imagine the acute pain thousands suffer, while "the band plays on," for the entitled.
Valerie wrote:Thank you for sharing this!
if people only knew ..
i definitely avoid HuffPo, but, this 2015 report describes one sorry source of ill-will in Chicago -

Chicago Protestors: We Need A Trauma Center, Not Obama’s Presidential Library
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/1 ... 71990.html

a requested+needed trauma center is something obama could have spearheaded that would have done untold good. illinois has 1 presidential library, Abraham Lincoln. it was built 100+ years after his death. in our instant gratification culture, no one cares to leave matters like monuments-to-self to uncertain future others.

trump.
i do not sense hatefulness in trump, or his plans, now becoming actions. he is not destructive.

he is starting right off not appearing to be a career politician or lawyer, he appears to intend to represent those who voted for him, the stated job description, but, also, intends to be considerate of those not convinced, also the stated job description, i.e., to represent all the people/citizenry. time will reveal outcome.

maybe trump will initiate the requested-needed trauma center. :)
there might be abundant private donations for such an undertaking.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2017 BP (Before Pandemic) seems so long ago. ^^^ :-|

Dec 28 2021 / ‘Lack Of Leadership’: Chicago 911 Dispatcher Slams Lori Lightfoot Following Weekend Carnage
https://dailycaller.com/2021/12/28/chic ... -thornton/
.. As of Dec. 26, 794 people have been murdered within Chicago in 2021, according to police data.

“This is not a black problem, a white problem, a Democratic problem, a Republican problem, a Latino problem,
this is an all-hands-on-deck problem and everyone within Chicago should be fueled up—and that’s why I’m taking a stand,”
said Thornton.

Thornton had also reportedly posted a video to his Facebook account on Christmas Eve excoriating Lightfoot for her response to the city’s rising violence.

“I’m hot about it because this mayor does not care about Chicago police officers, period. She doesn’t care about any first responders,” Thornton said, according to ABC 7.

Lightfoot called on federal agencies to send agents to Chicago last Tuesday in order to help deal with the spiking homicide rate.

“I pray you’re watching this because you’re a disgrace and I’m tired of it,” Thornton added, addressing Lightfoot.
“And your city is tired of it. Matter of fact, it’s not your city. The city of Chicago is tired of it.”

Lightfoot’s office did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
(Keith Thornton is a Chicago 911 dispatcher.) ^^

Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot speaks during a ceremonial groundbreaking at the Obama Presidential Center in Jackson Park on September 28, 2021 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

- - - - - -

Unfortunately, what’s continuing to happen in Chicago is not staying there, crime+violence is moving outward.
i have every “confidence” the TRILLIONS Congress is spending will serve to quickly+efficiently WORSEN everything.
They (gov) has a knack for it.

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 am Sounds like there could be refugees from Chicago soon, if there are not some already.

2022 / Another one. Career politician of decades. Prison?
“Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan indicted for federal racketeering”
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/tag/mike-madigan/
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 am TY SMITH / Breaking News! Chicago crime is making it's way to suburban neighborhoods! Oh Boy! / 15min

Not “Breaking News!” - but real life unfolding in recent YEARS in the state of Chicago.
Ty Smith describes the results (in Illinois) Mark Richardson initially warned about in his life-altering gun rights speech in North Carolina.

Ty Smith lives about an hour from me in another downstate small town (with a state college).
Not officially Chicago suburbs!
However, due to awful politics, all of Illinois is becoming some description Chicago squalor.

i appreciate hearing how “real people” think about .. things i think about.
TY SMITH / Breaking News! Chicago crime skyrockets as arrests fall to record lows! Why? / 28min
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Violent crime is named as Lightfoot’s #1 failure.
Unfortunately, most expect WORSE with Brandon Johnson.

“Lori Lightfoot becomes first Chicago mayor to lose reelection in 40 years” / -5min

One man’s opinion: The Millionaire Morning Show w/ Anton Daniels
“Chicago's Next Mayor Brandon Johnson Worse Than Lightfoot, Refuse To Hold Black People Accountable” / -18min
0 x

UNKNOWN