Chicago

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Chicago

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:50 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:34 pm I have yet to face any homeless in my village nor any public defecation, which are definitely problems in SF.
When I was a small town pastor, I had to deal with homelessness on a regular basis. The homeless often slept under the bridge over the Arkansas River. There were no resources for homelessness in town. So when local churches received requests for help, they might put people for a night or two at a motel, but they typically bought a bus ticket and sent them to the closest city.

Rural homelessness is real, even though it might be invisible. Just because you don’t see something, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
You seem to presume that I’m not at all involved or am unaware of such difficulties here. The actual facts are that housing is provided to everyone in need in the area and surrounding nearby towns. Consequently, public vagrancy isn’t tolerated, which means thinks like defecating on sidewalks and setting up tent cities in front of businesses or in public parks isn’t allowed.
Ken wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:25 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:34 pm I have yet to face any homeless in my village nor any public defecation, which are definitely problems in SF.
What county do you live in?

I'm sure the county police blotter has plenty of social dysfunction of every kind.
The last newspaper’s blotter was mostly traffic citations for suspended licences, a dui, plus a DV incident or two and some drug related charges.

As I stated earlier, this isn’t exactly a wealthy area and some cities are also “diverse”. Yet there isn’t rampant homelessness nor tent cities nor public parks full of needles. And there isn’t defecation on the sidewalks.

If people who have difficulty with affording a home to live in decide to stay in the various options here, they aren’t allowed to use drugs (there is some tolerance for minor marijuana use or a marijuana based vape pen etc), and more importantly, they can’t be abusive and violent towards other residents.

The actual homeless population of SF is 8000. Of that 4000 refuse to live in shelters. I would venture that our population here and surrounding towns hovers around 100 (all housed). That’s actually far more capita and there is much less wealth to go around than a place like SF or Portland.

If I want to volunteer at an actual traditional homeless shelter I need to drive 30 minutes away. And it’s hard to even get slots for volunteers since they have so many.

In the larger cities more than 30 minutes away, again, whilst there is a lot of poverty, drug problems, etc. there still isn’t a problem with tents on the sidewalk, parks full of needless, or faeces. Lots of halfway houses are operated and provided by all kinds of different people for mentally ill or feeble people. The probate court does a good job appointing trustees who manage the SSI/SSDI income and other benefits provided to such people and ensure the money goes towards residences for them to live in, not buying street drugs.

In short, having public homelessness is a choice. Tolerating violent people who are abusive towards others is a choice. Allowing tent cities is a choice. For whatever reason, the large blue cities keep making that choice.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

P.1:
temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:32 am
Robert wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 am Sounds like there could be refugees from Chicago soon, if there are not some already.
2022 / Another one. Career politician of decades. Prison?
“Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan indicted for federal racketeering”
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/tag/mike-madigan/

7 years ago - before indictments / Illinois Policy / “Madigan: Power. Privilege. Politics” / 57min
✏️ Description:
He’s been called the "King of Illinois.”
Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan is the most powerful politician in Illinois history, and the longest-serving state House speaker in the nation.

This unprecedented documentary explores his reign over the Illinois Statehouse.
:( The State of Chicago: so.much.corruption.

Found in Comments:
✏️ @bwayne85 WROTE: 6 years ago
"You can hold Chicago council meetings in prison."
So true. Great documentary.

- - - - - - -

Dec 19 2023 / “Michael Madigan Seeking to Delay Racketeering Trial as Supreme Court Hears Case on Federal Bribery Statute”
https://news.wttw.com/2023/12/19/michae ... al-bribery

Honestly, i never dreamed MM would fall.
i’m astonished it’s gotten this far.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ABL / Anthony Brian Logan
:arrow: Chicago Mayor Allegedly HOSPITALIZED With Panic Attacks Over THIS! / 13min
Description:
Chicago Mayor has allegedly been hospitalized on more than one occasion after suffering panic attacks.
This news was broken on WGM-AM's Chicago Way Podcast on January 16th...
Black Conservative Perspective
:arrow: Woke Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson HOSPITALIZED WITH PANIC ATTACKS Over Illegal Immigration Crisis! / 18min
Description:
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson is “stressed out” and has been admitted to the hospital for panic attacks.
That’s according to veteran Chicago journalists John Kass and Anita Padilla.
Mayor Brandon Johnson strikes me as a person who has never been told no. (i believe he’s an academic.)
Nice guy. Well intended, poorly informed.

kum bay ya - isn’t enough for every job.

City people, not just Chicago, never got the message that Texas AND all U.S. border states are their borders, too!
This is POOR education mixed with very poor politics. *FOR DECADES*

i’m wondering if this situation may now be bad enough that adequate answers may be sought -
after DECADES of mind-numbing kicking the can down the road.

No excuse for U.S. borders and immigration not to be a well-oiled operating machine. (Like punctual trains in Switzerland.)
The situation is SHAMEFUL and has been over the decades of my life.

Irresponsible self-serving politicians, AND the people tolerating them. All of that.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN