Endorsing political candidates from the pulpit

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Endorsing political candidates from the pulpit

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Robert wrote:You may want to read about the Black Robed Regiment to understand what is behind this.

I agree with OJ, this is part of the loyalty he is showing the Evangelicals that supported him. It is also a liberty thing. The Johnson Amendment is almost unenforceable since it is overshadowed by the 1st Amendment.
We have a number of those round here as well. All Reformed to a number. The one I know best is of the Rushdooney/North sort. Scary.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Endorsing political candidates from the pulpit

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:but, the history of preaching from the pulpit, and/or prideful church membership political activism without apology, is with the "liberal-minded" churches. in my area, decades ago, i recall complaints of politics from the pulpit in Methodist churches, and, of course, Universalist churches .. the latter not acknowledged to be churches.
Yes, that was true decades ago. Mainline and progressive evangelical political activism rose and fell in the 1970s; the history is documented in the book Moral Minority. Since then, preaching from the pulpit, and/or prideful church membership political activism without apology, is primarily the domain of the "conservative-minded" churches.

Perhaps the relatively liberal views predominant in your area are an exception to the national trends. Still, I visited the Bible Church on Lincoln Avenue (I see it's still there) on a random Sunday morning in the fall of 1988 when automotive indisposition prevented my being Conservative Mennonite that day; they were distributing voter guides with a heavily Republican slant. That's typical of what I observed among conservative evangelicals around that time period and since.
.. anything in the campus area, regardless of decade, is likely to be highly politicized. to a lesser degree, the surrounding urban area, and entire county .. typically toward the blue side.
2014 was an exception, with losers furious. and, still furious. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN