Kingdom Christians and Left-wing politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Kingdom Christians and Left-wing politics

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote:So they were persecuted for being liberal? Is that what you’re saying?

No one is saying they were persecuted for being conservative. Conservatives can be radical and threatening to the social order too. I don’t know that there is any real reason or even much accuracies in tying persecution to that spectrum, but maybe so.
Not liberal. Radical or revolutionary. A liberal in 16th Century Europe would have perhaps advocated reform within the church and social order. Like enlightened Jesuits perhaps. Anabaptists wanted to tear it down. They were not interested in reforming the church, they wanted to replace it. Kingdom Christianity or Anabaptism was a profoundly radical movement in the 16th Century.

You can't really impose modern conservative and liberal ideas onto 16th Century Europe because the issues have changed. But they were radicals or revolutionaries who were advocating a complete revolution in the social order. Yes they were doing it for religious reasons. But you can't disentangle religion and politics, especially then. They were persecuted as much for political reasons as religious because you can't really separate the two. They threatened the political authority of the Catholic church and the political power of the priesthood to govern civilian or secular affairs as much as religious affairs.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Ken wrote:
RZehr wrote:So they were persecuted for being liberal? Is that what you’re saying?

No one is saying they were persecuted for being conservative. Conservatives can be radical and threatening to the social order too. I don’t know that there is any real reason or even much accuracies in tying persecution to that spectrum, but maybe so.
Not liberal. Radical or revolutionary. A liberal in 16th Century Europe would have perhaps advocated reform within the church and social order. Like enlightened Jesuits perhaps. Anabaptists wanted to tear it down. They were not interested in reforming the church, they wanted to replace it. Kingdom Christianity or Anabaptism was a profoundly radical movement in the 16th Century.

You can't really impose modern conservative and liberal ideas onto 16th Century Europe because the issues have changed. But they were radicals or revolutionaries who were advocating a complete revolution in the social order. Yes they were doing it for religious reasons. But you can't disentangle religion and politics, especially then. They were persecuted as much for political reasons as religious because you can't really separate the two. They threatened the political authority of the Catholic church and the political power of the priesthood to govern civilian or secular affairs as much as religious affairs.
Am I hearing you say that only the left can be defined as radical and revolutionary? And that because the early Anabaptists were radical and revolutionary they should be considered part of the left? If that's not what you are suggesting, then why isn't Josh correct in saying there were no left and right distinctions in the 16th century?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:The righteousness of conservatism is always all in what is being conserved. It is not necessarily a conflict to be simultaneously conservative and liberal. Because we are conservative and liberal on different issues.
Those early Anabaptists weren’t interested in conserving the current corrupt and abominable religious status quo, that is true, but does that really make them “liberal” more that “conservative”?
And again we see how useless these labels are for understanding most things. We need labels that fit the question.

Is returning to the root of the Gospel conservative? radical? liberal? Maybe all three in different ways? It's probably a lot easier to talk about returning to the root of the Gospel than to answer these questions.

Similarly, when we talk about policy or facts, it's rarely helpful to focus on political factions if our goal is to understand good policy or accurate facts. When you make it political, personal, and polarized, truth usually flies out the window.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I suspect if one is standing in the midst of a field of soybeans, everything else looks like corn.

Most of the "Kingdom Christians" I have fellowshipped with over these past 30 years are biblicists who consistently align with conservatives in issues like traditional marriage, gender roles, sexual purity, religious freedom, right to life, personal responsibility, educational choice, natural law, civic obedience, modest living, etc. They often align with the left on issues like immigration rights, peace and non-violence, racial justice, environmental stewardship, poverty reduction, community values, demilitarization, wealth inequity, prison reform, simplicity, etc. Kingdom Christians don't look like card-carrying conservatives - nor should they. Neither do they look like bona fide liberals - nor should they. The should look like Christ - who represents a third way that resembles neither of the worlds ideologies.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Dan Z wrote:I suspect if one is standing in the midst of a field of soybeans, everything else looks like corn.

Most of the "Kingdom Christians" I have fellowshipped with over these past 30 years are biblicists who consistently align with conservatives in issues like traditional marriage, gender roles, sexual purity, religious freedom, right to life, personal responsibility, educational choice, natural law, civic obedience, modest living, etc. They align with the left on issues like immigration rights, peace and non-violence, racial justice, environmental stewardship, poverty reduction, community values, demilitarization, wealth inequity, simplicity, etc. Kingdom Christians don't look like card-carrying conservatives - nor should they. Neither do they look like bona fide liberals - nor should they. The should look like Christ - who represents a third way that resembles neither of the worlds ideologies.
Indeed and amen. As Christians we do not, and should not put political parties and their agendas on a pedestal. Only Christ is the ideal. All others come with with too heavy a price morally.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:I suspect if one is standing in the midst of a field of soybeans, everything else looks like corn.

Most of the "Kingdom Christians" I have fellowshipped with over these past 30 years are biblicists who consistently align with conservatives in issues like traditional marriage, gender roles, sexual purity, religious freedom, right to life, personal responsibility, educational choice, natural law, civic obedience, modest living, etc. They often align with the left on issues like immigration rights, peace and non-violence, racial justice, environmental stewardship, poverty reduction, community values, demilitarization, wealth inequity, prison reform, simplicity, etc. Kingdom Christians don't look like card-carrying conservatives - nor should they. Neither do they look like bona fide liberals - nor should they. The should look like Christ - who represents a third way that resembles neither of the worlds ideologies.
In other words:

“People who believe like I do look like Christ. We represent a Third Way that is superior to everyone else.”
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:“People who believe like I do look like Christ. We represent a Third Way that is superior to everyone else.”
I would hope so. If our Christian walk isn't a whole lot better than American politics, not much point in it.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

GaryK wrote:
Ken wrote:

Am I hearing you say that only the left can be defined as radical and revolutionary? And that because the early Anabaptists were radical and revolutionary they should be considered part of the left? If that's not what you are suggesting, then why isn't Josh correct in saying there were no left and right distinctions in the 16th century?
Ultimately we are just talking about labels. In every society there are those who wish to preserve the existing social order and power structure: religious, political, economic, etc. And there are those who seek to reform or replace it. Whether we are talking about ancient Rome, 16th century reformation, the American or French revolutions, or 20th century communist revolutions.

And yes, you can have conservative revolutions that seek to restore older forms of social order in the face of change. That was what the Iranian revolution was in 1979. And the current Taliban in Afghanistan. But they are pretty unusual and normally driven by religious fanatics. Like ISIS, for example, which is seeking to establish some sort of 7th Century Islamic religious caliphate.

If you define left and right in simple Marxist terms then yes, the reformation was not a class war of the proletariat. But then most left wing and right wing politics in the US don't fall along simple Marxist lines either. You have movements around social justice and anti-racism. You have movements around LGBT rights. You have movements around environmentalism. You have movements around women's rights. You have movement against corporate control and in favor of localism. You have peace movements. You have movements for indigenous rights and against exploitation, drilling, mining, pipelines etc. on native lands. You have animal rights/vegan type movements. They are all labeled "left" in the current American context but none of them are primarily "Marxist" in their outlook or objectives. Despite attempts by some conservatives to label them as such. The Bernie Sanders supporters concerned about the power and influence of corporate America and the "One Percent" are not that different from reformation-era middle class merchants rebelling against the entertwined twin powers of the nobility and the Catholic church.

We can't have it both ways. If "leftist" is narrowly defined in classic Marxist terms, then only a tiny fraction of the American left is really "leftist" and the term doesn't have much meaning. But if leftist is more broadly defined as movements for social change and rights against entrenched powers and institutions then those have existed in every era in history.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Josh wrote:

Most of the "Kingdom Christians" I have fellowshipped with over these past 30 years consistently are biblicists who align with conservatives in issues like traditional marriage, gender roles, sexual purity, religious freedom, right to life, personal responsibility, educational choice, natural law, civic obedience, modest living, etc. They often align with the left on issues like immigration rights, peace and non-violence, racial justice, environmental stewardship, poverty reduction, community values, demilitarization, wealth inequity, prison reform, simplicity, etc. Kingdom Christians don't look like card-carrying conservatives - nor should they. Neither do they look like bona fide liberals - nor should they. The should look like Christ - who represents a third way that resembles neither of the worlds ideologies.
In other words:

“People who believe like I do look like Christ. We represent a Third Way that is superior to everyone else.”
Well...in a sense "yes" - although not because of what I believe, or my own consistency (following Jesus is a lifetime quest), but rather because of what God incarnate taught and modeled in his life, death and resurrection.
  • 1) I believe that the teachings and example of Jesus represent a superior worldview to any other ideology (and yes...far superior to American conservatism or liberalism). I would stake my life on that truth.
    2) I believe that the genius of Kingdom Christianity (and original Anabaptism) is it's radical conformity to the way of Christ, and it's rejection of the power structures and dominant culture of its day.
    3) I believe that American Christianity (yes...including unfortunately Anabaptism) is under increasing influence from thinking that resembles "the patterns of this world," sourced in ideologies that are often in opposition to the the call of Christ.
In short - authentic Christianity doesn't look like conservatism or liberalism - and it doesn't much care about ideological orthodoxies. Sometimes it will coincide in certain ways, on certain issues, often it won't. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if Christianity is identifiably aligned with a political ideology it has likely lost its way.
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:I must admit I'm making this observation from some distance, but I have noticed among some whom I would consider "kingdom Christians" a strong political view that mirrors the progressive, and even the radical left.
The attitudes I encounter are quite different from what I see in Conservative Anabaptist circles, which might otherwise be religiously similar.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed. It is so easy for people on both sides of these issues to take on the views of their heritage or their surrounding culture. To me, looking at the Bible, it often mirrors the views of progressives -- or better said, the progressive views mirror the view of the Bible. There are notable exceptions. It is hard for many to look at issued individually; we so often agree with the culture in associating a whole lot viewpoints.
The big difference being that the Bible exhorts the Church to do the helping of others, whereas the Progressives advocate the government be the one helping others (and with your money). It is a huge difference.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.