Talking Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Should Christians talk about politics?

Total votes: 0

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Talking Politics

Post by JimFoxvog »

RZehr wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:I checked #1 and #5.
Yes, we talk about political issues, but we focus on what our response is as the Kingdom of God.
We usually do this fairly well, but not always.
You sure you check #1? It shows 0 votes.
Thanks. It somehow lost my vote, I guess. I redid it.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:So how do you handle family gatherings where someone just can't stop talking politics, and has a view that makes other people uncomfortable? Surely we've all been in that setting ...
Talk about something else?

I had a gathering with a pre-planned rule not to talk about politics. But after a few days, some folks had to talk about how negative a certain elected official is. I just tried to find common ground to talk about, even though all the common ground got steered to politics.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

JimFoxvog wrote:
RZehr wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:I checked #1 and #5.
We usually do this fairly well, but not always.
You sure you check #1? It shows 0 votes.
Thanks. It somehow lost my vote, I guess. I redid it.
Russian Hackers.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I chose 3, 4, 5, and 8 in answer to the question, "May Christian's talk about politics?" Not "Should..."

I'm certainly fine with groups that don't talk about politics. I would feel really alone and perhaps bored in such groups, but I don't think I could could conscientiously encourage anyone who is not so interested in politics to get more interested in politics. That is not a NT theme. We are encouraged to pray and that can be done without knowing very much at all.
However, I think it is good for at least some Christians to be familiar with what goes on in the political world and if someone desires to know more in order to be a more effective ambassador and servant of God I might encourage them.
Now if someone doesn't know much about politics and uninformed statements and decisions about the little bit that he knows, then I would think he should learn more or quit making comments about something he knows very little about.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"