[Poll] A Christlike Response to Trump's Border Security Orders

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

If you had an hour to spend, which do you think Jesus would be pleased with… (choose all that apply)

Total votes: 0

joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: [Poll] A Christlike Response to Trump's Border Security Orders

Post by joshuabgood »

I voted for all of them.
0 x
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

Here are some verses that show how a follower of Christ should relate to government.

"Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." Matthew 22:21

Jesus answered, "You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above." John 19:11

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Romans 13:1

I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. I Timothy 2:2

Fear God. Honor the king. I Peter 2:17
0 x
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by Once Again »

Now, some verses on Christians' responsibility to those in need.

Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. Matthew 5:42

Take heed that you do not do you charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward form you Father in heaven. Matthew 6:1

This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress. James 1:27

If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:15-16

But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? I John 3:17-18

Matthew 25:34-40 also applies, but I am out of time so I can't type it out right now.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:I am also more interested in the work MCC and like organizations are doing there then what rich (in their culture) select few were able to buy their passage to the US.
Me too. Right now, we've decided we probably have to take the people from our welcome teams - which were going to be helping refugees with their initial settlement into the United States - and find other ways for them to help, because it looks like we're going to have a hard time getting refugees into the country.

That's frustrating. Most of these refugees come from countries that are very dangerous for them.

I think a Christlike response is to help the poor, the refugee, the alien, and pray for government to do the right thing.
Robert wrote:Bush and Obama put similar travel restrictions during their time in office. Jimmy Carter did the same.
I don't think so, but an apples-to-apples comparison probably belongs in another thread, because this one is about our response as Christians.
Robert wrote:The "outrage" is politically motivated. I know many feel it is a civil rights issue, but that is being driven by the misinformation that those who oppose Trump. They are using the same tactics they did during the elections. Hired protesters driving the "outrage." Others, unknowningly, are falling in with the anarchists and communists that are just trying to destabilize the country.
This kind of language really concerns me. I know that at least some of the protesters are people who work with groups that help refugees, and some of them have been doing this for years and are very well informed. These organizations seem to avoid partisan politics. I don't know what percent fall into what category, and a day or two after the protests, I don't think you do either.

But it also concerns me for another reason. I see Trump making dramatic, emotional moves to make sure that he is in the headlines and to consolidate power. I suspect one of the things he is doing is seeing how much he can get away with, and he has been spreading this kind of narrative. And of course, the logical conclusion is that only Trump can save us, so nobody should get in the way of him making sudden, dramatic moves. That's not the kind of narrative that leads to more democracy and freedom, or to limiting executive power. I think we should want our leaders to respect the system of checks and balances we have and to be informed by the expertise of people who have been working in these areas. So I get uncomfortable when Christians seem to be praising moves like this and spreading dramatic warnings against anyone who protests them.

I wasn't at the protests. I was at meetings planning ESL instruction for two refugee families who are here. But the people I know who were at the protests don't fit your description at all.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Once Again wrote:Now, some verses on Christians' responsibility to those in need.
A few more (from the UBS page):

1. Do not mistreat foreigners who are living in your land. Treat them as you would an Israelite, and love them as you love yourselves. Remember that you were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God.
(Leviticus 19:33-34)

2. He makes sure that orphans and widows are treated fairly; he loves the foreigners who live with our people, and gives them food and clothes. So then, show love for those foreigners, because you were once foreigners in Egypt.
(Deuteronomy 10:18-19)

3. “Long ago I gave these commands to my people: ‘You must see that justice is done, and must show kindness and mercy to one another. Do not oppress widows, orphans, foreigners who live among you, or anyone else in need.”
(Zechariah 7:9)

4. I am the Lord, and I consider all people the same, whether they are Israelites or foreigners living among you.
(Numbers 15:16)

5. See that justice is done – help those who are oppressed, give orphans their rights, and defend widows.
(Isaiah 1:17)

6. If you give food to the hungry and satisfy those who are in need, then the darkness around you will turn to the brightness of noon.
(Isaiah 58:10)

7. Remember to welcome strangers in your homes. There were some who did that and welcomed angels without knowing it.
(Hebrews 13:2)

8. “Whoever has two shirts must give one to the man who has none, and whoever has food must share it.”
(Luke 3:11)
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Once Again wrote:Matthew 25:34-40 also applies, but I am out of time so I can't type it out right now.
Matthew 25:34-40 wrote:34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

And a few more:
Deuteronomy 23:15-16 wrote:“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. He shall dwell with you, in your midst, in the place that he shall choose within one of your towns, wherever it suits him. You shall not wrong him.
Deuteronomy 10:19 wrote:Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:I don't think so
You think wrong my friend. The US has always had restrictions on immigration and refugees since at least WW2. Maybe before. FDR even imprisoned Japanese Americans during the war. Now that was something to protest about.

All 109 who were detained have been allowed to enter now. 109 out of 325,000.

Millions still in turmoil because of the US policies in the Middle East.
Bootstrap wrote:I see Trump making dramatic, emotional moves to make sure that he is in the headlines and to consolidate power. I suspect one of the things he is doing is seeing how much he can get away with, and he has been spreading this kind of narrative.
You see it because you believe it and see what you believe.

I believe I need more time, as I did with Obama and Bush, to really get a sense for the person and the policies this administration will do.

I hope that the long term goal is to really transform immigration and guest worker policy. If this happens after they secure things, I will be very pleased. Trump ha spoken about this is his goal. I will wait to see.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:You think wrong my friend.
Possibly, I often do. But let's take these political questions elsewhere so this thread can focus on what a Christlike response is.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I don't think so
You think wrong my friend. The US has always had restrictions on immigration and refugees since at least WW2. Maybe before. FDR even imprisoned Japanese Americans during the war. Now that was something to protest about.

All 109 who were detained have been allowed to enter now. 109 out of 325,000.

Millions still in turmoil because of the US policies in the Middle East.
Bootstrap wrote:I see Trump making dramatic, emotional moves to make sure that he is in the headlines and to consolidate power. I suspect one of the things he is doing is seeing how much he can get away with, and he has been spreading this kind of narrative.
You see it because you believe it and see what you believe.

I believe I need more time, as I did with Obama and Bush, to really get a sense for the person and the policies this administration will do.

I hope that the long term goal is to really transform immigration and guest worker policy. If this happens after they secure things, I will be very pleased. Trump ha spoken about this is his goal. I will wait to see.

Well said Robert. I happen to personally believe that sooner or later Trump will do something really outrageous and terribly wrong. But I do not think he is there yet. And my biggest fear is that by the time he does do it no one will be listening to his naysayers anymore because they had lost all credibility and sense of right and wrong due to their hate. (not talking about anyone on here). There are a lot of people that cannot wait for him to fail. Have a bit of patience. It will happen. In the mean time be very careful that you do not underestimate him. Because people did that big time is why he is where he is.
0 x