[Poll] A Christlike Response to Trump's Border Security Orders

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

If you had an hour to spend, which do you think Jesus would be pleased with… (choose all that apply)

Total votes: 0

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: [Poll] A Christlike Response to Trump's Border Security Orders

Post by MaxPC »

Once Again wrote:Here are some verses that show how a follower of Christ should relate to government.

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Romans 13:1

I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. I Timothy 2:2

Fear God. Honor the king. I Peter 2:17
And
Once Again wrote:Now, some verses on Christians' responsibility to those in need.

Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. Matthew 5:42

Take heed that you do not do you charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward form you Father in heaven. Matthew 6:1

This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress. James 1:27

If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:15-16

But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? I John 3:17-18
Thank you Once Again, those are the very exact verses that came to my mind.

I look around me in my immediate vicinity and I'm always able to find someone who needs help. Our parishes have quite a few immigrants including but not limited to, Vietnamese who fled Communism after the fall of South Vietnam; Latinos from Central and South America; Jews who fled Europe when Hitler came to power; Italians; refugees fleeing Muslim persecution in African nations; Chinese; and even Canadian immigrants :D

All are opportunities to share the joy of Christ with our authentic actions. IMO actions to help those within our contact and immediate vicinity are worth 10,000 postulates.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:I happen to personally believe that sooner or later Trump will do something really outrageous and terribly wrong. But I do not think he is there yet. And my biggest fear is that by the time he does do it no one will be listening to his naysayers anymore because they had lost all credibility and sense of right and wrong due to their hate. (not talking about anyone on here).
Whatever we do, a Christlike response is in love, not in hate. But love toward the refugee might prompt us to welcome them visibly.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

appleman2006 wrote: Well said Robert. I happen to personally believe that sooner or later Trump will do something really outrageous and terribly wrong. But I do not think he is there yet.
He's not there yet? Ordering the CBT to disobey the order of a Federal Court to allow immigrants to speak to lawyers is disregarding the rule of law.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Once Again wrote:Here are some verses that show how a follower of Christ should relate to government.

Fear God. Honor the king. I Peter 2:17
It might help to look at the full verse. [bible]1Pet 2,17[/bible]
Honor everyone. The emperor is included.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
appleman2006 wrote: Well said Robert. I happen to personally believe that sooner or later Trump will do something really outrageous and terribly wrong. But I do not think he is there yet.
He's not there yet? Ordering the CBT to disobey the order of a Federal Court to allow immigrants to speak to lawyers is disregarding the rule of law.
You may be right about him. However the amount of false accusations that have been put out about him in the past half year give me pause. I gave President Obama the benefit of the doubt for 8 years so I think I am prepared to give President Trump at least a week or two. But I will not judge you if you decide to speak out against your President. After all he is yours not mine. :)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I did not vote for #3 and #5 simply as a matter of prioritizing time and effort. I do not think Jesus would be displeased with letter writing, but I also do not think Caesar reads letters containing more than 140 characters.

As for #2, I'd like a sign that promotes a King who welcomes all who come to him, without borders or quotas.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

This thread was inspired by one of the pictures in this collection. A picture of people I know.
It is a collection called "Protest Portraits"
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: It doesn't address how many people have not been able to come to America over the last century because folks like Schumer voted to establish a numerical limit.
A story from 1939
http://www.norvillerogers.com/in-1939-a ... ign=buffer
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Trump's executive order was issued on Holocaust Remembrance Day.

There's a Twitter feed called St. Louis Manifest that was created in response to Trump's executive order, and it links to an article on the Voyage of the St Louis at the Holocaust Encyclopedia.

Each tweet in the Twitter feed identifies a passenger and tells you what happened to that passenger. An example:
My name is Joachim Hirsch. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote:This thread was inspired by one of the pictures in this collection. A picture of people I know.
It is a collection called "Protest Portraits"
Nice.

0 x