Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

mike wrote: Actually I don't know if I share the view that everything is going down the tubes. To listen to a lot of Christians, the world is going to hell in a handbasket (and of course the only solution is to vote for __). I think that certain things are actually improving in our society while other things certainly are degenerating.
I agree with you. I think a lot of it gets pushed by "rapture ready" Christians looking for some validity of impending judgement and wrath.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I'm praying that God will set up a federal government that will enable the Kingdom of God to gain the most mileage. I don't know which candidates will make this possible and on what time frame.

I do know that people who protect fetus's in the name of Jesus, but don't live like Jesus, can be a detriment to people around the world being interested in true Christianity.

Here is one example of the confusion that happens when religion and state are not kept separate.
A commentor writes:
The Freedumb Caucus:
Love The Fetus, Hate The Child.
Love the Business, Hate the Worker.
Love The War, Hate The Homeless Vet.
Love America, Hate 47% of Americans.
Love Theocracy, Hate Democracy
Love Jesus, Hate the Poor
Love Health Care, Hate Everyone Having It.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/h ... ing-230597
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

kingdomBuilder wrote:I agree with you. I think a lot of it gets pushed by "rapture ready" Christians looking for some validity of impending judgement and wrath.
Rapture? Did someone say rapture? That should flush George out of hiding!
0 x
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Post by Gene »

Ernie wrote:I'm praying that God will set up a federal government that will enable the Kingdom of God to gain the most mileage. I don't know which candidates will make this possible and on what time frame.

I do know that people who protect fetus's in the name of Jesus, but don't live like Jesus, can be a detriment to people around the world being interested in true Christianity.

Here is one example of the confusion that happens when religion and state are not kept separate.
A commentor writes:
The Freedumb Caucus:
Love The Fetus, Hate The Child.
Love the Business, Hate the Worker.
Love The War, Hate The Homeless Vet.
Love America, Hate 47% of Americans.
Love Theocracy, Hate Democracy
Love Jesus, Hate the Poor
Love Health Care, Hate Everyone Having It.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/h ... ing-230597
This is not confusion at all but a caricature or distortion of conservative beliefs for the purpose of denigration of an opposing political or cultural view. In essence it can be summarized as "If you do not agree with my policy proposals you are not merely mistaken, you are evil incarnate."
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Gene wrote:This is not confusion at all but a caricature or distortion of conservative beliefs for the purpose of denigration of an opposing political or cultural view. In essence it can be summarized as "If you do not agree with my policy proposals you are not merely mistaken, you are evil incarnate."
That could easily be true, but to some people who don't know better, it IS confusing.
Regardless, I think I am still correct that a diluted, twisted Christianity does the Kingdom of God more harm than secularism or some other religion.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Gene wrote:This is not confusion at all but a caricature or distortion of conservative beliefs for the purpose of denigration of an opposing political or cultural view.

In essence it can be summarized as
"If you do not agree with my policy proposals you are not merely mistaken, you are evil incarnate."
before FB kindly locked me out of their lofty endeavors, i read a torrent of these types of "catchy" underhanded attacks on at least half the population (more likely, imho, quite a lot more than half.) Ernie may not have had a similar experience, i would hope not. i'm enjoying the relative quiet. i'm now considering sending a thank you to the FB folks (kiddies, according to Robert.)

"Love the fetus, hate the child," tho, in my view, stands apart from the other accusations.
human sacrifice/child sacrifice, has no place. not a political-partisan matter. not a solely Christian matter. even animals, with rare exception, know to nurture+protect, not to destroy their young.

the big difference in politics this time, different from the ancients and in youthful, impetuous U.S. history (imho) is today's relentless 24-7 "news" (propaganda) cycle, combined with endless internet haggling ..

it won't stop, post election.
not without Divine Intervention.

for relief, the majority of the population would have to be convinced to respect rule of law.
that is no longer the case. Bill Clinton introduced this refusal to respect law of the land, it has blossomed from that point. worship of self-as-god is rampant.

really, tho. it could be comical, if not so deadly ..
those who most disrespect rule of law are 100% convinced, once they have restructured legal language to suit themselves, all will be well .. they are then self-righteously aghast that others would disobey?!

peace is not on the horizon. :-|
abject sin will never produce peace; virtue never wins the popular vote.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote:That could easily be true, but to some people who don't know better, it IS confusing.

Regardless, I think I am still correct that a diluted, twisted Christianity does the Kingdom of God more harm than secularism or some other religion.
you're in good company, scriptures warn quite a lot about this very thing.
False Religion
https://www.openbible.info/topics/false_religion
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

ohio jones wrote:
PeterG wrote:
ohio jones wrote:I predict the Republican party will carry exactly 5 states:
--Tennessee
--Rhode Island
--Utah
--Missouri
--Pennsylvania
:?:

Please elaborate.
I realize Rhode Island is a bit of a stretch, but it's the only state with the right initial.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :mrgreen:
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Signtist wrote:
kingdomBuilder wrote:I agree with you. I think a lot of it gets pushed by "rapture ready" Christians looking for some validity of impending judgement and wrath.
Rapture? Did someone say rapture? That should flush George out of hiding!
Unfortunately, I hear that kind of thinking all the time at the church we are presently attending. According to one fellow I know, the rapture is only about 5 years off now...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Come quickly, Lord!

(But let us occupy until he comes.)
0 x