Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Post by gcdonner »

Disclaimer: I am a non-participant in the election process.
I am wondering what Anabaptists are thinking about the current presidential election?
1. Are you voting, why or why not?
2. What do you think will be the outcome, ie, who is going to win?
3. What are the ramifications for our future?
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

I have no plans to vote.

I have only been mildly interested and somewhat informed.

I think Hillary is a power grabbing corrupt individual.

I think Donald Trump is a clown. But I will admit he sounds a little better when I don't have to watch him. I listened to one debate where I didn't see either one. Trump sounded a little more sensible than I thought he might.
I still can't image him being the president.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Not voting. Not my kingdom.
2. What do you think will be the outcome, ie, who is going to win?
I suspect at this point that Trump will win. The trajectory of the recent developments in the Clinton email investigation does not look good for her. She may regret challenging James Comey to release the information the FBI has, I suspect Huma Abedin has not been forthcoming with Clinton on what has found on her husband's computer.
3. What are the ramifications for our future?
If Trump wins I expect there will be a real swing of the pendulum. Of course now we will read about every soldier's death in Afghanistan and reports of homelessness and domestic violence will return to the mainstream media (problems that are buried by the media during a Democrat administration).

I think Trump will treat the office of Chief Executive as a chief executive, he will hire a competent team to his cabinet (Newt Gingrich as his Chief of Staff) to carry out fiscally conservative and socially ambiguous policies. He may even make some radical changes to the way things are done in Washington. The new supreme court justice(es) will likely be conservative originalists.

If Trump does not win we may very well have a constitutional crisis in this country, as the Clinton email investigation will continue after the election and may result in the indictment of an elected but not yet sworn-in president, or it may conclude after she is sworn in and then... who knows?

Either outcome is going to be divisive and will contribute to the growing cynicism on the part of the electorate toward the electoral process and the governance of the United States.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

gcdonner wrote:1. Are you voting, why or why not?
No, it's not my role as a Christian to participate in the process of electing leaders in the civil government. I have been a fascinated bystander during the process, although I didn't watch the last two Trump/Clinton debates.
gcdonner wrote:2. What do you think will be the outcome, ie, who is going to win?
I'm not as sure as I was last week, but I still think that Hillary will probably win. I just don't think enough people care about the security of her stored e-mails, or even about her dishonesty and hubris. Trump's negative characteristics are through the roof and the press has crucified him. I actually think the press has probably won the election no matter who is put in -- more people are following the news, I tend to think, then ever before. The dirt on both Clinton and Trump is red meat for every news outlet and personality under the sun. They are all making money and loving every minute.
gcdonner wrote:3. What are the ramifications for our future?
If Hillary is elected, we are in for an unbelievably long war between congressional Republicans and the Clinton administration. It will be a paralyzed government and the rancor will be unparalleled, and it may cause the Republican party to become a permanent minority.

This is a particularly good election season to be a "kingdom Christian." Personally I can't wait till the whole thing is over.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I don't vote because it isn't my kingdom and I don't believe in political solutions.

The great news is God can use any of them to accomplish his purposes. Much like he used less than ideal Romans and Jewish civil leaders to bring about a great work of redemption.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

This is one interesting US election. I can't remember an election where so many people had to decide which candidate they disliked least.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

lesterb wrote:This is one interesting US election. I can't remember an election where so many people had to decide which candidate they disliked least.
For Some Strange Reason Canadians are Really Excited About A Foreign Country’s Presidential Election
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

gcdonner wrote:Disclaimer: I am a non-participant in the election process.
I am wondering what Anabaptists are thinking about the current presidential election?
No, I think it is better to refrain from participating in government.
gcdonner wrote: 2. What do you think will be the outcome, ie, who is going to win?
I think Hillary will win in an electoral landslide.
gcdonner wrote: 3. What are the ramifications for our future?
Regardless of who wins, I think Christianity will continue to be actively marginalized. And I expect corruption in the executive branch to increase.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I have never voted, and am certainly not tempted to do so this time.

I predict the Republican party will carry exactly 5 states:
--Tennessee
--Rhode Island
--Utah
--Missouri
--Pennsylvania

On the whole, the country will continue to move to the left. The only question is whether Republicans will pretend to oppose this (under Hillary) or actively promote it (under Donald).

I've long thought the US would be better off with at least one more major party. Perhaps that will finally happen in the next few years. I hope McMullin, especially, gains some traction in the final days.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

ohio jones wrote:I have never voted, and am certainly not tempted to do so this time.

I predict the Republican party will carry exactly 5 states:
--Tennessee
--Rhode Island
--Utah
--Missouri
--Pennsylvania

On the whole, the country will continue to move to the left. The only question is whether Republicans will pretend to oppose this (under Hillary) or actively promote it (under Donald).

I've long thought the US would be better off with at least one more major party. Perhaps that will finally happen in the next few years. I hope McMullin, especially, gains some traction in the final days.
After the revelations of today, do you still maintain the same perspective?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth