Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Presidential elections, for whom are you?

Post by Wayne in Maine »

gcdonner wrote:
Signtist wrote:
kingdomBuilder wrote:I agree with you. I think a lot of it gets pushed by "rapture ready" Christians looking for some validity of impending judgement and wrath.
Rapture? Did someone say rapture? That should flush George out of hiding!
Unfortunately, I hear that kind of thinking all the time at the church we are presently attending. According to one fellow I know, the rapture is only about 5 years off now...
Given that the Chicago Cubs were in the World Series, I expected the world to end last night in the tenth inning.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wayne in Maine wrote: Given that the Chicago Cubs were in the World Series, I expected the world to end last night in the tenth inning.
I expect it did end for the Cleveland team...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: Given that the Chicago Cubs were in the World Series, I expected the world to end last night in the tenth inning.
I expect it did end for the Cleveland team...
no, wait. the cubbies won?! :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Like many others here...I am a conscientious abstainer from voting for president for the following reasons:
  • 1) As a person committed to non-resistance and non-violence as the way of Jesus, it is a moral conundrum for me to help select the commander in chief of the armed forces (or congress or sheriff for that matter or anyone who would carry out violence as a result of my vote).

2) Not voting is firewall of sorts - a way of helping preserve my allegiance and loyalty first and foremost to the transcendent Kingdom of God, where my true citizenship lies. I am keenly interested in sociology and the functioning of groups (it has been my academic specialty over the years), so politics intrigues me greatly - but I don't believe in dual citizenship. As a wise man once said: "you can't serve two masters."
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Well, I was really planning on voting Libertarian this year, but I am totally disgusted with Johnson/Weld too. So now I have to write someone in.

I am voting for the local and state positions primarily anyway.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Not voting of course since I am not American, but leaning Trump in my sympathies (or more anti-Clinton to be accurate).

Apparent the Amish are not so reserved as some on this board:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... sh-voters/

and, Amish PAC??
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

haithabu wrote:Not voting of course since I am not American, but leaning Trump in my sympathies (or more anti-Clinton to be accurate).

Apparent the Amish are not so reserved as some on this board:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... sh-voters/

and, Amish PAC??
1. Amish PAC is started by a guy and his wife who left the Amish and have a mainstream evangelical sort of lifestyle and church now.

2. That picture is of the Lapp brothers and their followers, of "Glory Barn" fame. They have been excommunicated from the Amish a decade ago for their persistent misbehaviour. They choose to still dress OO Amish in order to try to get other Amish to leave and join their group.

One of their group informed me that it is no wonder my wife left me and I am divorced because I am spiritually deceived for not believing in what the Lapp brothers are doing.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I can't help but giggle at Republicans constantly trying to prove they have Amish voters....
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I have no interest in voting but as a citizen of Christ's Kingdom I am praying fervently. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Jess77
Affiliation:

Post by Jess77 »

Yes we should definitely be praying for this nation first and foremost. Yes our citizenship is in the Kingdom and the Kingdom should be our main focus. However, we cannot overlook that Paul, not once, but twice, used his Roman citizenship to advance the Kingdom. If all Christians do is pray and nothing else, they are missing out on the opportunity God has given us to insure Christians in this country continue to have the freedom to build the Kingdom. The underground Christians in China and the persecuted church of the Middle East who are being beheaded and exterminated for their faith do not have that freedom. Persecution will come to this nation eventually, but we do not need to unlock our doors and give it the key to our cars. That is exactly what happens when we do not use our God-given wisdom to vote to protect the church.
0 x