Some thoughts on White Nationalism & Racism today on Capitol Hill

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Some thoughts on White Nationalism & Racism today on Capitol Hill

Post by appleman2006 »

Dan I cannot speak for all of what is happening in Europe. What I do know is that even there not nearly all of what is dubbed "white nationalism" by the far left fits under that title.

As someone who is very pro legal immigration I get alarmed at times the way some of those, not all, that think we should slow down immigration, react towards new immigrants. To me it is often a sign that they have not had a lot of interaction with people from other cultures.

What is disturbing to me however is that the pendulum seems to have swung so far that when a non white makes an outrageous statement that really at it's core is just plain racist, and it happens way to often, it is simply not addressed because people are so afraid of being called a white nationalist. I actually believe that if in fact there is a rise in white nationalism that this is the core reason for it happening. That still does not excuse it but as always inconsistency in any area breeds problems.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:Dan I cannot speak for all of what is happening in Europe. What I do know is that even there not nearly all of what is dubbed "white nationalism" by the far left fits under that title.
I agree.
appleman2006 wrote:As someone who is very pro legal immigration I get alarmed at times the way some of those, not all, that think we should slow down immigration, react towards new immigrants. To me it is often a sign that they have not had a lot of interaction with people from other cultures.
I agree.
appleman2006 wrote:What is disturbing to me however is that the pendulum seems to have swung so far that when a non white makes an outrageous statement that really at its core is just plain racist, and it happens way to often, it is simply not addressed because people are so afraid of being called a white nationalist.
White nationalist? I would be very surprised to hear someone call you that. I don't think you are racist either, but some of the responses in this thread struck me as insensitive, minimizing or denying real issues that affect real people. Perhaps because you are afraid to see these things associated with political conservatives? I don't think these things are what real conservative political values are about.

I agree that non-whites who are racist are just as bad as whites who are racist.
appleman2006 wrote:I actually believe that if in fact there is a rise in white nationalism that this is the core reason for it happening. That still does not excuse it but as always inconsistency in any area breeds problems.
I think extremists on each side tend to trigger the other. You need to inspire fear of the other side to stoke up energy on your own side. It's no accident that we are seeing more extremists on the left during the Trump Administration. That inspires more extremists on the right. It's a vicious circle. Debating which side is worse just adds to this.

So ... let's not identify with the left or the right. And let's not justify or minimize extremism.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The rise in extremism predates Trump even running for office.

I think what appleman is getting at is that it’s impossible to talk about certain topics without getting branded a racist or a white nationalist. That’s a bit of a problem. It means we are transitioning to a 1984-style society where certain thoughts and topics are “banned” and will result in un-personing you.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:The rise in extremism predates Trump even running for office.

I think what appleman is getting at is that it’s impossible to talk about certain topics without getting branded a racist or a white nationalist. That’s a bit of a problem. It means we are transitioning to a 1984-style society where certain thoughts and topics are “banned” and will result in un-personing you.
appleman has been a blessing throughout this topic.
no surprise, other than, thankfully, he’s had time to invest in it!

Josh, you weren’t present for MD’s Trayvon Martin discussions.
some things just do not change.

also, summer is nigh.
typically, members are busy, fewer posting, not as many babysitters available to watch over we few who remain. whaaa! :lol:

the topic reminds of some past discussions of polygamy; on occasion, after generous fair warning, one or two were blocked over it. that was the forum admin’s discretion, not by gov mandate or social media bullying. important distinction there. :)

It would be nice if -
ragpicker would drop in to add to his topic here. :D
he’s adept at “dropping bombs” then standing back for the entertainment.
altho, he knows the routine so well, he could write it all out himself, probably in his sleep. :yawn:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote: White nationalist? I would be very surprised to hear someone call you that. I don't think you are racist either, but some of the responses in this thread struck me as insensitive, minimizing or denying real issues that affect real people. Perhaps because you are afraid to see these things associated with political conservatives? I don't think these things are what real conservative political values are about.

I agree that non-whites who are racist are just as bad as whites who are racist.
appleman2006 wrote:I actually believe that if in fact there is a rise in white nationalism that this is the core reason for it happening. That still does not excuse it but as always inconsistency in any area breeds problems.
I think extremists on each side tend to trigger the other. You need to inspire fear of the other side to stoke up energy on your own side. It's no accident that we are seeing more extremists on the left during the Trump Administration. That inspires more extremists on the right. It's a vicious circle. Debating which side is worse just adds to this.

So ... let's not identify with the left or the right. And let's not justify or minimize extremism.
You might not call me that but there are certainly lots of people that would even for simply expressing what I said here. And Josh is correct. The rise of extremism was present long before Trump took the scene. In fact a good argument could be made that at least some of it has died down. Particularly the strong anti police rhetoric.

I make no bones about the fact that much of what the right stands for particularly on moral and economic issues is much closer to my world view and I am not embarrassed by that, nor do I try to hide it. Obviously there are areas that I strongly disagree on. And I have been known to call them out on it when I do. And yes there are even areas of thought where I would be classified by much of the world as an extremist although that is not my natural bent. I am quite all right with that. I think history would show I am in some pretty good company.
While it has not always been so I find much of the creative thinking of the day to come out of the right. While the left often likes the term progressive and sometimes it is the correct term for them I find that the vast majority of left think today is actually same old, same old. The left has lost their creative touch and in many cases will not be on the right side of history even 50 years from now. At least that is my dream and hope
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:
What is disturbing to me however is that the pendulum seems to have swung so far that when a non white makes an outrageous statement that really at it's core is just plain racist, and it happens way to often, it is simply not addressed because people are so afraid of being called a white nationalist. I actually believe that if in fact there is a rise in white nationalism that this is the core reason for it happening. That still does not excuse it but as always inconsistency in any area breeds problems.
Indeed and amen. Non-whites making racist comments get a pass in popular media. If a white calls the racist comment for what it is, then that white is attacked as a white nationalist. It's a disturbing double standard that abuses anyone dissenting and calling out the racist commentators. There have even been African Americans decrying this double standard as well: they are labled "oreos" or worse by those making the comments.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

OP, April 2019: (seems like 10 years ago)
ragpicker wrote:A Democrat shares her thoughts on white nationalism in her testimony on Capitol Hill today. I think it's worth listening to if you care about racism, white nationalism, etc.

i think of this as the “Candace Owens” thread. Here goes:

“GoFundMe suspends Candace Owens’ campaign to help bar owner in stunning censorship move”
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/06/07 ... ove-931328

This is why i do not care for GoFundMe.
Subjective cancellations without so much as opportunity for defense.

i would not hold an opinion on their reason for cancellation without more information.

i’m surprised, IN THIS CASE, they are actually allowing the funds to go to the businessman.
in other cases they have not, instead returning funds to donors. (as i’ve read.)
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i still think of this as the CANDACE OWENS thread. :)

i don’t have a date for the video below.
i’ve never viewed Devon Gibson before.

Candace has good points:

circa 2019? / “Candace Owens EXPLODES on Professor” / 13min

My takeaway is,
Candace Owens is seeking tangible improvements, not continued rhetoric, empty promises+platitudes, distractions.

Candace states white nationalism is NOT on the top 100 problems black Americans face,
she put fatherlessness as #1, then education, added abortion and others .. (not naming 100 total).
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Regarding:
June 2021 / Derek Chauvin trial conclusion: Guilty on all counts.

Officialcamm / The media is LYING to you about George Floyd and Ma'Khia Bryant | Candace Owens / 15min

Candace is adamant about this.
(i’ve never viewed Officialcamm before, but i appreciate his reaction video.)

At about the 7:50 mark, Candace states she believes DC’s ruling should have been Manslaughter.
She makes her case. She warns about mob rule. She warns about further penalties to come - by the black community.
Exactly what is unwanted.

- - - - - - -

Sentencing today:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/de ... -rcna36958
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i still think of this as the CANDACE OWENS thread. :)

The Officer Tatum / “Virginia student blasted for choosing Candace Owens as 'Black trailblazer' “ / 14min

i appreciate this, i, too, am annoyed at the maltreatment/exclusion of black conservatives in politics, msm, education.
i’m in disbelief that this can even be true. and, i admire the patience and fortitude of black conservatives in dealing with it.

for the most part, they just carry on, unruffled, unphased. (but, you know it can’t always be easy.)

this is part of the reason i don’t care a whole lot about actual election days/results. in my mind, the fraud goes on everyday in what is said/not said/ignored/censored. what does an election mean when voters don’t have balanced facts to begin?! election meddling!
“The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.”
MARCUS AURELIUS 121-180 AD
0 x

UNKNOWN