Some thoughts on White Nationalism & Racism today on Capitol Hill

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Some thoughts on White Nationalism & Racism today on Capitol Hill

Post by ragpicker »

A Democrat shares her thoughts on white nationalism in her testimony on Capitol Hill today. I think it's worth listening to if you care about racism, white nationalism, etc.

2 x
Embrace the lonely road.
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Re: Some thoughts on White Nationalism & Racism today on Capitol Hill

Post by ragpicker »

ragpicker wrote:A Democrat shares her thoughts on white nationalism in her testimony on Capitol Hill today. I think it's worth listening to if you care about racism, white nationalism, etc.

Former Democrat. My bad.
1 x
Embrace the lonely road.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Wow

That speech has the potential to do every bit as much good as the "I have a dream speech"
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ragpicker wrote:
ragpicker wrote:A Democrat shares her thoughts on white nationalism in her testimony on Capitol Hill today. I think it's worth listening to if you care about racism, white nationalism, etc.

Former Democrat. My bad.
you are bad. :P
i’m glad to see Candace Owens mentioned here. i’ve been loosely following her in recent years.
lib “media” does NOT exploit her for their daily circus routines, do they?! :shock:

she is one young one (of many) that represents hope in U.S. government. :D

they exist. ignored by the circus barkers.
maybe that’s for the best. less distraction while they actually get needed work done. :)

today, i just saw this quote from her, not sure where it’s from:
Candace Owens:
“I am willing to fall on a sword a thousand times for [black Americans] to wake up and realize that we are being lied to, abused, and used by the Democrat Party”
This is another source for the OP meeting:

“Candace Owens Speaks at Congressional Hearing: ‘Black People Are Not Owned by the Left’ “
https://news.ntd.com/candace-owens-spea ... 14310.html

For years, i’ve read about how tough it is for “people of color” to be politically conservative.
That is shameful. i believe it’s true. This (bullying) should not be. :(
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:Wow
That speech has the potential to do every bit as much good as the "I have a dream speech"
There are some awesome people in this world. Rarely does the public get a glimpse of them.
Circus freaks are media’s choice. To the point of untold societal destruction.

This is a list of some women’s names i find interesting involved in current politics.
Just names that have come-to-mind for various reasons, no order, not even alphabetical! :lol:
Just names of interest to me, largely ignored (and even outright denied) by the mainstream riff-raff:
Women who RAISE THE BAR:
Melania Trump, FLOTUS
Karen Pence
Nikki Haley
Sarah H. Sanders
Heather Nauert
Dr Alveda King
Star Parker
Diamond and Silk
Candace Owens
Kirstjen Nielson
Michelle Malkin
Amy Coney Barrett
C. Rice ..
Dana Loesch ..
Ashley Estes Kavanaugh ..
Kristi Noem ..
Gladys Knight ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Thank you for sharing- HOPEFULLY people listened- I see the man on her right (our left) was incredibly uncomfortable.
1 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

I don't know that much about Owens, other than she seems to like getting attention...her backstory is interesting and I'm sure she has some good points to counter the dominance of progressive ideas among African Americans: that kind of debate/competition is healthy in the playing field of ideas.
This quote from the link suggests caution in revering her...
"Obviously, no one but Owens knows how genuine her professed beliefs are. But a look at her history strongly suggests that her “conservatism” is a mix of opportunism, personal grievances, canned slogans and paranoid conspiracy theories."
But as a Christ-follower who respects humility and service to others more than publicity-seeking, drama-queen antics, Candance Owens therefore can't really be a person I look to as a role-model or leader...
So I find this commentary on this congressional hearing event, to be helpful, and which is pretty even handed (disagrees with Owens ideas/ rhetoric, but respects her as a person)
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Some tidbits from the Quillette article by Cathy Young I posted previously:
"While Owens portrays herself as a victim of leftist persecution, the fact is that the initial backlash against Social Autopsy [her initiated, anti-online harassment database/website project] came mostly from the “cultural libertarian” opposition to the authoritarian left. YouTube video bloggers Matt Jarbo (“Mundane Matt”) and Chris Maldonado (“Chris Ray Gun”), both strong critics of “social justice warriors,” were among the first to blast the project as a terrible idea."
"Owens’s self-reinvention has certainly left quite a few people unconvinced. “Mundane Matt,” the libertarian video blogger who was among the first to denounce the Social Autopsy project, has slammed the new Owens as a cynical “performer” who doesn’t believe a word of what she says and who “plays victim” just as much as the leftists she decries."
Software engineer Marlene Jaeckel, a self-described moderate conservative who recently went public about being ostracized by the “women in tech” community for challenging feminist narratives of victimhood, also had an extremely negative impression of Owens when she met her at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February: “She’s as fake as a three-dollar bill,” Jaeckel told me in a Twitter direct message, recalling that Owens seemed far more interested in “taking selfies with more famous speakers” than in discussion of issues.
This jumping on the Owens bandwagon, without, I suspect, knowing how or where she came from, reminds me of liberals jumping on the bandwagon of the native american activist facing the Coventry kids... same leaping to tribal emotions without knowing any context or related history pertaining to the person getting the spotlight.
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. This jumping on the Owens bandwagon, without, I suspect, knowing how or where she came from, reminds me of liberals jumping on the bandwagon of the native american activist facing the Coventry kids... same leaping to tribal emotions without knowing any context or related history pertaining to the person getting the spotlight.
just because you’ve never heard of her before doesn’t mean she hasn’t been around and paying her dues. (granted, it’s easier for conservatives to do this, not commanding unearned spotlight and hoopla as libs so often do.)

as far as her critics. hey, they’re professionals at it. no surprise there. hammer away. :)

i’ve been loosely “following” Candace for a few years, she’s maturing very nicely.
i’ve seen enough to be able to smile at the OP tape, without being one bit surprised by it.
YMMV .. or, rather, i’m pretty sure it will.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

As Buzzfeed points out, Candace Owens was CEO of a marketing agency that ran Degree180, a website that compared Trump to Hitler and speculated about his anatomy. Less than two years ago.

She used a lot of strong language. Here's one of her less offensive articles:

News Update: The Republican Tea Party is Led by the Mad Hatter

The introduction, at least, is G-rated:
Candace Owens wrote:Yes, we can officially confirm that our beloved Republican Tea Party is being led by the Mad Hatter and us millennials have been thrust into their wonderland.

The good news is, they will eventually die off (peacefully in their sleep, we hope), and then we can get right on with the OBVIOUS social change that needs to happen, IMMEDIATELY.
Here's the kind of thing she was writing before she was hired by Turning Point (warning, this is pretty offensive stuff):

Candace Owens Articles

So I would really like to understand why she changed her views so strongly and whether this happened before she was hired by Turning Point. That's a pretty big change in perspective for 2 years.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?