MAGA Hats

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

MAGA Hats

Post by Bootstrap »

People seem to want to discuss this, so ...
Robert wrote:You did not really answer the line I was targeting. I was wondering if, since you felt the MAGA hats were somewhat to blame, if that would be extended to other political propaganda or if the MAGA hats were unique. Dan seems to suggest they have a unique place. Do you feel the same? I really do agree that they were some of the cause of the other groups antagonistic actions.
If I were a teacher at a private Christian school bringing a high school group to march in the March for Life parade, I would not allow political slogans of any kind, I would want my children to be on message about abortion and babies. I might want them to wear something that identifies them as Christians or even part of a particular Christian school.

I don't wear anything with a political slogan, I wouldn't put it on my lawn or my head or my car.

But there is a way that MAGA hats are different. Many people have seen images of white nationalists wearing MAGA hats threating people or Proud Boys wearing MAGA hats beating people up. Most people who wear MAGA hats aren't like that, but that's an image that sticks in people's heads. So when some people see a group of young men wearing MAGA hats, they may conjure up emotional memories of these other images. The visuals really influence people emotionally. So I think they would have been less likely to encounter trouble wearing "I like Ike" buttons.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: MAGA Hats

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Many people have seen images of white nationalists wearing MAGA hats threating people or Proud Boys wearing MAGA hats beating people up.
I have seen none of this. Could you provide some links or images if they are not too explicit. Now I have to look up Proud Boys. Never heard of them.

I have seen a few people with Obama logos attacking others. Why don't these events carry the same weight?
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Many people have seen images of white nationalists wearing MAGA hats threating people or Proud Boys wearing MAGA hats beating people up.
I have seen none of this. Could you provide some links or images if they are not too explicit. Now I have to look up Proud Boys. Never heard of them.

I have seen a few people with Obama logos attacking others. Why don't these events carry the same weight?
i believe proud boys is a dead issue (except to boot) aside from those prancing around in pride parades.
it’s up to you (i prefer) not to see images. of any of it. not of the obama boys either. nothing to be gained.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I might want them to wear something that identifies them as Christians or even part of a particular Christian school.
That’s interesting, because you’ve said in the past you’re opposed to the idea that Christians should dress and look differently from the world through plain / modest dress.

Why would you require your students to do this?

In my church, wearing a MAGA hat wouldn’t be allowed. Nor is campaigning or wearing campaign slogans. Likewise, if our schoolchildren were on a trip, they would be easily identified by their distinctive attire. The same is true for most other conservative and plain Anabaptists.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I think there are interesting points on both sides of the MAGA hat debate - but transcending reason, the hat has become an emotional focal-point for both Trump supporters and Trump loathers. It's that emotional nature of the discussion that gives me little hope that any of the participants in this particular thread (or most of those looking on) will gain any understanding of the issue at a deeper or new level .

This is predictably bound to be almost all heat and no light, unless...
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Dan Z wrote:I think there are interesting points on both sides of the MAGA hat debate - but transcending reason, the hat has become an emotional focal-point for both Trump supporters and Trump loathers. It's that emotional nature of the discussion that gives me little hope that any of the participants in this particular thread (or most of those looking on) will gain any understanding of the issue at a deeper or new level .

This is predictably bound to be almost all heat and no light, unless...
That's why I've resisted this topic in multiple threads, even though people have been asking me to explain exactly how I feel about this or even putting words in my mouth.

I'm still not particularly interested in discussing this topic, but I would be willing to do so under the right conditions. I'm not convinced we have those conditions now.

Let me say one thing, though:
both sides of the MAGA hat debate
I don't think I am on one side or the other of the MAGA hat debate. I would rather not be forced to declare sides. When I describe why I think some people might have certain feelings, I am not saying it is logical or fair, but I do think the visual imagery of certain events colors the way people interpret this.

With that, I'm going to exit this thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Dan Z wrote:I think there are interesting points on both sides of the MAGA hat debate - but transcending reason, the hat has become an emotional focal-point for both Trump supporters and Trump loathers.
I watched a video of a lady in the Women's March. She had a shaved head with a mohawk down the center. Not important, but trying to help with the vidual. I will not post the video here. Loaded with crude language.

She came up to a white man wearing a MAGA hat and started yelling all kinds of crude things in his face. Within a minute, a African American with a MAGA hat walked up to her in mid scream and asked her how she felt about his hat. She immediately changed from scream to kind calm words and support for him as a human. As she went on, she said emotions matter and facts do not. He asked her if that was what she meant. She validated the statement to him. He responded that emotions change, but facts do not. She pretty much dropped the conversation and walked on.

So is a MAGA hat different depending on who is wearing it?

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The hat situation reminds me of the 60’s-70’s flag burning.
It was shocking to me, a young Midwest teen, taught to respect the flag, to respect others’ property, etc.

The flag burners won their right to burn the flag, i believe under the 1st Amendment.
Today, flag burning, flag stomping, etc., hardly gets a nod. yawn.
A few will step in to prevent/recover, but, i’m not aware anyone gets hurt over it.

So. to me, hats, T-shirts, bumper stickers, are “nothing,” this should not be a question IN the U.S.
i do not use any of these items, never have. how have i managed in life?! :lol:

The idea that intolerant ones want to silence others by banning these things WHILE CLAIMING IT’S IN THE NAME OF THEIR DEFINITION OF TOLERANCE, escapes me.

If you don’t like it, don’t wear it. (correct?) that’s “the formula,” isn’t it? :?

And, BTW, no, it is NOT someone else’s fault if YOU commit a crime.
That’s REALLY going backward.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The BB says it best.
Robert wrote:The bee is at it again!

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Honest question: Are these hat styles below two sides of the same coin? Why or why not?

0 x