MAGA Hats

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: MAGA Hats

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i’m hoping not to see a pink hat as Robert’s next avatar. :shock:
The first was for my new campaign against low priced cheese slicers from China.
I promise to increase tariffs in these cheese slicers that China is using to flood the market and just about eliminate graters. Grated cheese is so much better and when we used to use grated cheese, life was so much better. I want to return to a time of grateness.

The second was Obama's Hope and Change logo hat.

:arrow: So how did the two different images affect you? Be honest.
i think i can be honest. :mrgreen:
1. that’s funny. i’m glad Robert added it. i think i’ve seen “grate” used like that before. :)

2. how annoying. Robert’s at it again. :lol:

3. please, Robert, no pink. :-| (i like the blue.) :D

you know i live in Illinois.
i still see lots of #2, esp bumper stickers. i don’t believe i’ve seen 1 #1 IRL.
there ARE Trump supporters around. they do not want to be attacked, in speech or vandalism or physically. this was true in 2016, prior to the election. i spoke with a few people in different walks of life about it (the lack of personal freedom they had to express support for their political preference).

in my view, libs, as a whole, should be ashamed of this.
i’m ashamed for them.

doing wrong, attempting to justify it by blaming others. well. honestly, i thought our culture moved beyond this. i see i am mistaken.

the railroading of Nick Sandmann should be a wake up call. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I think they may be the ugliest hats I’ve ever seen, but..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

So yesterday actor Jussie Smollett (who’s black and gay) was assaulted in Chicago by two men who shouted MAGA at him:

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment ... untry/amp/
According to a police statement, the actor was walking near the Chicago River downtown around 2 a.m. Tuesday when he was approached by two men who shouted at him, struck him in the face and poured an “unknown substance” on him before one of them wrapped a rope around his neck.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that when officers first came in contact with Smollett, he still had a rope around his neck. While being interviewed by detectives, Guglielmi said Smollett told them that the attackers yelled he was in “MAGA country,” an apparent reference to the Trump campaign’s “Make America Great Again” slogan that some critics of the president have decried as racist and discriminatory.
It’s not just liberals that associate MAGA with racism. Racists apparently also associate MAGA as confirmation of their racism.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: It’s not just liberals that associate MAGA with racism. Racists apparently also associate MAGA as confirmation of their racism.
This is a sad act and should be treated with due justice. I do not want to minimize what was done. It is wrong and not acceptable.

My contention has always been, not that this never happens, but it has happened by left groups like Antifa and SEU activists also. Some, now, get attacked because they are wearing pro Trump logos, not just hats, but shirts too.

So both extremes are doing it. It is wrong on both sides, but do we ban free speech from the rest because of a few who are clearly breaking the law in their actions?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Another rush to judgment so soon after the Sandmann Phillips event? Shame on us.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42800/ac ... osh-hammer

Several media outlets referenced claims that appeared in TMZ's coverage of this matter, most notably that the perpetrators were white and yelled "this is MAGA country," as they attacked Smollett. But a spokesperson for the Chicago police denied having any information about the race and political views of the attackers.

"According to the victim, the offenders' faces were concealed," a police spokesperson told Reason. "We have no record indicating that [they shouted 'MAGA'], we only have record of them shouting racial and homophobic slurs at him."

Chicago police have also released a statement contradicting claims that Smollett identified his attackers' race and heard them shout "MAGA."

"We have no record of The MAGA Country comment," said the police in a statement. "We have racial and homophobic comments documented."
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
Szdfan wrote: It’s not just liberals that associate MAGA with racism. Racists apparently also associate MAGA as confirmation of their racism.
This is a sad act and should be treated with due justice. I do not want to minimize what was done. It is wrong and not acceptable.

My contention has always been, not that this never happens, but it has happened by left groups like Antifa and SEU activists also. Some, now, get attacked because they are wearing pro Trump logos, not just hats, but shirts too.

So both extremes are doing it. It is wrong on both sides, but do we ban free speech from the rest because of a few who are clearly breaking the law in their actions?
Chicago’s extremes are not Chicago’s primary problem.
if-only it were so.

the day-to-day “norm” of crime-violence-fatalities should be what’s considered outrageous+unacceptable. it’s all strangely acceptable, tho.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:Another rush to judgment so soon after the Sandmann Phillips event? Shame on us.

Several media outlets referenced claims that appeared in TMZ's coverage of this matter, most notably that the perpetrators were white and yelled "this is MAGA country," as they attacked Smollett. But a spokesperson for the Chicago police denied having any information about the race and political views of the attackers.

"According to the victim, the offenders' faces were concealed," a police spokesperson told Reason. "We have no record indicating that [they shouted 'MAGA'], we only have record of them shouting racial and homophobic slurs at him."

Chicago police have also released a statement contradicting claims that Smollett identified his attackers' race and heard them shout "MAGA."

"We have no record of The MAGA Country comment," said the police in a statement. "We have racial and homophobic comments documented."
this landed in my newsfeed, also questioning details+claims.
Herman Cain / Chicago questions
https://www.westernjournal.com/hermanca ... questions/

The idea anyone would claim, even in middle of the night drunkeness, IN Chicago, that “Chicago is MAGA country!” hasn’t been paying attention. Chicago is a satellite of D.C. DNC politics, rigidly so.

In 2016, Illinois’ Republican governor refused to endorse Trump, so far as i’m aware, “no change” after Trump’s election. (That was a 1-term governor!) Followed with a Hard turn LEFT.

Yes. Avoid jumping on bandwagons, no matter how much you love the narrative.

i would more expect, if any MAGA hats were worn in Chicago, their wearers would quickly be used for target practice, and, shot dead.

ALL the questions must be investigated. Those responsible should be held accountable, regardless of what narrative they are trying to push, or what role they have in it.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:Another rush to judgment so soon after the Sandmann Phillips event? Shame on us.

Indeed.

When I first heard the story my first reaction was “Wait for it... wait for it....” the other shoe will drop any time now.

I have never been one to rush to a conclusion. We are 3-D creatures who should realize there’s always 3 sides to any story. I remember the social media outrage that occurred when two lesbian women moved into a house in a small neighborhood. They claimed someone had spray painted their house with homophobic slurs. After investigation the police discovered that these two women had done it themselves to create a newsworthy incident.

3 sides to any story: there is reality; there is fabrication and then there is distorted reality and perceptions. Some actors and comedians will seek this kind of attention so they can get more jobs. Some just go with the political script of Hollywood. I turn the page and give the police time to investigate.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I’m willing to circle back to this once more information is out because I’m seeing conflicting reports.

However, I do want to ask these questions:

What does “Make America Great Again” mean?
When was America great?
For whom was America great?
Why do you think people have negative associations to the phrase/slogan?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote:What does “Make America Great Again” mean?
I am sure it means different things to different people, like "Hope and Change" meant different things to different people. I have not great love for the slogan. I just do not see why it has to be outlawed.
Szdfan wrote:When was America great?
Please live or at least visit another country besides Canada for over a month. One week stays only allows ot be experience the tourist part. Longer stays you will see the issues that every state has. What I like the most about the US is the level of freedoms given its citizens. It surpasses every other state past or present that I know of.
Szdfan wrote:For whom was America great?
For those who value freedom.
Szdfan wrote:Why do you think people have negative associations to the phrase/slogan?
They did not when Reagan and Clinton used it. So why now? Could it be the person promoting it. Pelosi has admitted that if they scream it loud enough and long enough, then it becomes fact. So could it be a political attempt to neutralize the populous move towards Trump? Could fear of his following be driving much of the fake outrage?

If one doesn't like it, one can just ignore it instead of try to take away free speech. I ignored all the Clinton and Gore bumper stickers at AMBS while I attended.
1 x