Not-so-United Methodists

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Not-so-United Methodists

Post by temporal1 »

Altho not recently discussed on MN, there’s been ample reporting on both Methodist and Baptist formal splits. (Esp in the U.S.)
Formerly on MN, MCUSA division was discussed. viewtopic.php?t=4786

This report includes related facts, not just about Estonia:

Estonian churches leave United Methodist fold
https://www.umnews.org/en/news/estonian ... odist-fold
Key points:
Churches in the nation of Estonia have completed the needed steps to leave The United Methodist Church.

The churches are forming their own denomination, the Estonia Methodist Church.

United Methodists in the Northern Europe and Eurasia Central Conference met earlier this year to approve a process allowing the churches to disaffiliate.

Already, United Methodist and Estonian Methodist leaders have signed an agreement of mutual recognition.
.. In 2019, General Conference — the denomination’s top lawmaking assembly — approved a policy that allows churches to leave with property “for reasons of conscience” related to homosexuality if they meet certain procedural and financial obligations.

Since the church law took effect, nearly 6,000 United Methodist churches in the United States, about 20% of U.S. churches, have received the required approvals to disaffiliate. But that policy — the Book of Discipline’s Paragraph 2553 — only applies in the U.S. and is set to expire at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Estonian United Methodists have expressed deep concern with the direction they see the denomination heading with regards to homosexuality. Last year, Estonian church members supported a resolution expressing their desire to separate from the denomination. ..

Loads is happening, in churches, schools, in courts. Roe vs Wade, now Affirmative Action in colleges.

Large scale lib social engineering experiments have been attempted and tried for some decades. Some poor outcomes are being addressed.

(imho) all experiments should include room for evaluation, exit strategies, and end dates. minimum.
too much is passed as law of the land prematurely, honestly, it’s common knowledge, lawmakers often “rubber stamp” law -
WITHOUT READING. What is their job description, if not to READ and THINK?! A child could rubber stamp, and have fun doing so.

“From where i sit,” an unknowing teen in the 1960’s, not knowing what on earth to think, witnessing noisy “certainty” about right+wrong, now decades later witnessing some important “mitigation of damages” attempted. In my lifetime.

So much of it boils down to:
pastors should not lead their flocks to seek after government for answers. #1 1960’s failure.

This was the root failure that opened doors to so much destruction, particularly of traditional families and churches.
(For my own sanity i have to believe) they did not know what they were doing, i.e., the consequences.
Last edited by temporal1 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Now i will pray there’s no immediate rush to condemn me as an ignorant small-thinking, unChristian hater.
It gets old. Of course none of this is black+white. Of course good things have happened over decades.

Human laws are not perfect, experiments are nothing without questions+tweaking.

It is interesting to witness IN REAL TIME, giants fall, as they are apt to do. Matthew 8:26
Demonstrated in world history, documented in scriptures.

Propagandists are nothing if not liars.
Christians are to live in faith, regardless of circumstances. (Not standard human nature.) John 20:28
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Wilmington, North Carolina

“Local United Methodist Church takes legal action against conference after closure”
https://www.wect.com/2023/06/28/local-u ... r-closure/
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - Fifth Avenue United Methodist Church in Wilmington has announced that it is taking legal action against the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church (UMC).

“The church located blocks from the Cape Fear River waterfront in Wilmington’s Historic District celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2022 with a yearlong celebration,” an announcement from Friends of the Fifth Avenue UMC states.

According to the church, its leaders were following the conference’s procedures for disaffiliating with UMC,
but it closed the church in March of 2023 by changing the locks and seizing the property
without any prior notice to the congregation. .. ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Why do these Apostate Churches want to stay affiliated with the mainline denomination anyway? Lime this "Lutheran" Church

https://churchleaders.com/news/453937-c ... icism.html

To hear them recite such evil is sickening.

Maranatha, Lord come quickly!
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

US Southern Baptists reject two churches over women pastors
The denomination’s annual convention affirms stance maintaining the role of pastor is exclusively for men.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/6/1 ... en-pastors
.. At the group’s annual meeting in New Orleans on Wednesday, an overwhelming majority of delegates upheld the expulsion of Saddleback Church in southern California and Fern Creek Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky. ..
Years ago, george noted, where women are allowed in ministry, homosexuals quickly follow.
This was new thinking for me, i didn’t disagree. In time i believe he’s correct.

There are many ways to serve.
Demanding ministry roles goes against scriptures; and i can’t help but believe, in the least, it represents covetousness.
It’s serious.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

“United Methodists lose 6,000 churches in schism driven by growing defiance of LGBTQ bans”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 388817007/
More than 6,000 United Methodist congregations — a fifth of the U.S. total — have now received permission to leave the denomination amid a schism over theology and the role of LGBTQ people in the nation's second-largest Protestant denomination.

Those figures emerge following the close of regular meetings in June for the denomination's regional bodies, known as annual conferences. The departures began with a trickle in 2019 — when the church created a four-year window of opportunity for U.S. congregations to depart over LGBTQ-related issues — and cascaded to its highest level this year.

Church law forbids the marriage or ordination of “self-avowed, practicing homosexuals,” but many conservatives have chosen to leave amid a growing defiance of those bans in many U.S. churches and conferences.

Many of the departing congregations are joining the Global Methodist Church, a denomination created last year by conservatives breaking from the UMC, while others are going independent or joining different denominations. .. ..

“These 60 Michigan churches are disassociating from United Methodist Church”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 285604007/
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:18 am “United Methodists lose 6,000 churches in schism driven by growing defiance of LGBTQ bans”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 388817007/
More than 6,000 United Methodist congregations — a fifth of the U.S. total — have now received permission to leave the denomination amid a schism over theology and the role of LGBTQ people in the nation's second-largest Protestant denomination.

Those figures emerge following the close of regular meetings in June for the denomination's regional bodies, known as annual conferences. The departures began with a trickle in 2019 — when the church created a four-year window of opportunity for U.S. congregations to depart over LGBTQ-related issues — and cascaded to its highest level this year.

Church law forbids the marriage or ordination of “self-avowed, practicing homosexuals,” but many conservatives have chosen to leave amid a growing defiance of those bans in many U.S. churches and conferences.

Many of the departing congregations are joining the Global Methodist Church, a denomination created last year by conservatives breaking from the UMC, while others are going independent or joining different denominations. .. ..

“These 60 Michigan churches are disassociating from United Methodist Church”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 285604007/
So if these numbers are correct, then:

4/5ths or 80% of United Methodist Churches choose to be welcoming of gay members (or accepting of churches that are) and
1/5th or 20% of United Methodist Churches choose not to be

It is a split, but not a very even one.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps an analysis of the split by regular Sunday attenders would be more honest.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I am attending a GMC church currently.

The camp I am working at is a Methodist camp. They are independent of the UMC since they are a 501C. They are feeling the split since both conferences think the camp supports the other conference.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:55 am I am attending a GMC church currently.

The camp I am working at is a Methodist camp. They are independent of the UMC since they are a 501C. They are feeling the split since both conferences think the camp supports the other conference.
probably most believers everywhere are troubled over these matters in some way.
(my sense is) it began ramping up in the 1990’s, ‘hasn’t been resolved.

So much damage done.
0 x

UNKNOWN