Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote:Just listened to this: Journalist discussing Putin, Trump, hacking, geopolitics, etc Don't know if it answers the who-done-it but gives some perspectives on possible whys...
Maybe God is blessing Russia for their decision not to allow gays to adopt by turning America into a Russian client state.

Perhaps when Putin is Supreme Commisar of Russian-America, he will let Ken Miller out of prison.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

lesterb wrote:Another point that we should recognize is that news media are under a lot of pressure to give their readers what they want. I remember during the first Iraq war I flew to Ohio for a writers meeting. My seatmate was the CEO of a large news chain and I was a writer, so naturally we got talking. We actually discussed the kind of thing that this thread has mentioned. He told me that they have access to pictures of civilians being killed in the Middle East, etc. He openly told me that their coverage was one-sided. But he said that this was what the America public wanted. People didn't feel comfortable seeing that side of the story, so they didn't print much from that angle. It wasn't a deliberate effort to deceive, it was giving their customers what they wanted.

Now we could say that they had an obligation to give the whole story. I'd personally prefer that. But they are a business and in a business the customer is king.

I guess my point is that we are partly pointing the finger at the wrong party. The Washington Post knew that their news would sell papers. They erred in not being careful enough, but they did come back with the answers. What more can you expect?
Lester, I think there is some truth in what you say here. However here is the thing. If it was only about the audience than why would not some of the big news outlets play both sides of the fence, so to speak? Why would they not be going after both the left and the right wing market? They could have a news outlet for each side. I know in the past some of the big newspaper conglomerates have done this but I have not seen it done much in the past little while.
I think ideology might play a bigger factor in this than they would have us believe despite what your CEO friend might say to his seatmate on the plane. But I think there is also another factor involved that we may not have addressed yet and that is what I will call the influence or the establishment factor. And I think that factor helped to explain why it was that some networks and news people became so emotional and upset by Trump's win.
Media people have become very strong and very powerful. They market the commodity of influence and have in the past convinced the powers that be that they can help to deliver success to those that they like or maybe that like them. And so they use belittling tactics to sell their wares. They try to convince plebs like us that if we are not buying what they are saying that we are simply uneducated, ignorant and stupid. They are not at all above using the shame factor. And for the most part especially in the past 20 to 30 years it has worked very well. Especially when you add in the factor that the masses to a large extent have been brainwashed largely to think one way and one way only even by university professors. Try bucking the system in most modern day universities and you will discover what real bullying is all about. Really sad when you consider that these places claim to be for freedom of thought and expression but true I think none the less.
But in this election they were not able to deliver. And it scared the living day lights out of them. They saw their power and influence going up in smoke and with it their 7 and 8 digit salaries. Yes that is correct. Some of those high flying anchors make as much as 20 million a year or more.
The proof that something weird is happening is when you have a prominent Fox News anchor being courted by NBC, actually being convinced to cross over even though her contract was not up, you know their world is turning upside down. I mean only 10 years ago someone that worked for Fox would not of had a chance at one of the other big networks.
In summary my point is that they have become influence peddlers and that it has become a bigger factor for them than any kind of truth in news telling. But I could be wrong.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Josh wrote:
Jazman wrote:Just listened to this: Journalist discussing Putin, Trump, hacking, geopolitics, etc Don't know if it answers the who-done-it but gives some perspectives on possible whys...
Maybe God is blessing Russia for their decision not to allow gays to adopt by turning America into a Russian client state.

Perhaps when Putin is Supreme Commisar of Russian-America, he will let Ken Miller out of prison.
Ah, I doubt it... Ken Miller's other belief's (Anabaptist/Menno) would probably threaten a militaristic, state-religion-loving:if-they-don't-critique-me, macho man like Putin...
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Josh

Post by Josh »

Jazman wrote:
Josh wrote:

Ah, I doubt it... Ken Miller's other belief's (Anabaptist/Menno) would probably threaten a militaristic, state-religion-loving:if-they-don't-critique-me, macho man like Putin...
Considering as Putin is not busy imprisoning Anabaptist-esque people in Russia, this isn't a really fair assertion.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
Jazman wrote:Ah, I doubt it... Ken Miller's other belief's (Anabaptist/Menno) would probably threaten a militaristic, state-religion-loving:if-they-don't-critique-me, macho man like Putin...
Considering as Putin is not busy imprisoning Anabaptist-esque people in Russia, this isn't a really fair assertion.
Maybe it's too early to see how strictly the recent legislation will be enforced, and perhaps fines rather than imprisonment will be the primary mechanism, but it's difficult to view him as a friend of Christianity.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:
Jazman wrote:Ah, I doubt it... Ken Miller's other belief's (Anabaptist/Menno) would probably threaten a militaristic, state-religion-loving:if-they-don't-critique-me, macho man like Putin...
Maybe it's too early to see how strictly the recent legislation will be enforced, and perhaps fines rather than imprisonment will be the primary mechanism, but it's difficult to view him as a friend of Christianity.
According to people I know actually in Russia, this is primarily aimed at stopping the spread of Islam and of cults, the growth of the latter being a major problem in Russia. Established religious groups (including various evangelical groups) are not the target here.

I think the state has a legitimate purpose to monitor and slow the spread of cults. But if Russia really does restore a state church, then perhaps there will be another wave of Anabaptism like happened in 1525.

I really can't stand the perspective that the only legitimate way to organise government is the American way - as if America's religious liberty has done so much for the cause of Christ.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote:According to people I know actually in Russia, this is primarily aimed at stopping the spread of Islam and of cults, the growth of the latter being a major problem in Russia. Established religious groups (including various evangelical groups) are not the target here.
It's not that simple. This latest legislation is in a series that has established "official" churches and has also been used to go after evangelical groups. The question is what's considered a "cult" or a "sect." Unfortunately, the Orthodox leadership has at times considered evangelical groups like the Baptists to be cults and sects (my Dad is married to a Russian and lives in Belarus). This paper provides helpful overview of the view on sectarianism in Russia and some of the prejudices that the Russian Baptists face as a "sectarian" group.
But if Russia really does restore a state church, then perhaps there will be another wave of Anabaptism like happened in 1525.
They have restored a state church. It's the Russian Orthodox Church, which has an incredibly close relationship with the Kremlin. In the current Russian context, a group like the Anabaptists of 1525 would also be considered a cult and suppressed. So where's the Anabaptist wave?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Could a moderator split off the posts about religious freedom in Russia? It's a good topic, and probably deserves its own thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:According to people I know actually in Russia...
Remember Josh that Russia is a HUGE country. Opinions can vary vastly from coast to coast.

I know two church leaders who travelled to Russia quite a bit to work with the unregistered churches there. Their story sounds a lot different than yours. For instance, an Orthodox priest ordering the local unregistered church's new meeting house to be bulldozed....
0 x