Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Post by appleman2006 »

We can wait a year. No problem. Not everyone can in every case. And in the meantime a lot of people can get hurt. As I have said before. I get bias. Everyone including myself has that. I can work with bias. What I cannot work with is outright attempts at hiding or alternating the truth. Or only telling half the story because it might make someone in power look bad. Or embellishing the story because it will make someone in power look bad.
Someone said earlier that we can become too untrusting to the point that we miss obvious truth. I agree and I think that is a sad reality of where we have come in society. And it is weird how we will pick and choose the stories we want to believe. The same person that will unquestioningly believe every tidbit on manmade climate change will also almost reject every thing that mainline science has to say in regards to GMOs and pesticides and vice versa. The same person that would laugh at the fact there might of been any wrong doing on the part of the government in a situation like Waco will withhold vaccines from their children because the "government and the medical world are out to get us".
I really wish I could trust everyone. But I am not sure that that approach has ever been wise. We are after all to be "wise as snakes while still being as harmless as pigeons and sheep". I for one am still trying to find that balance.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Another point that we should recognize is that news media are under a lot of pressure to give their readers what they want. I remember during the first Iraq war I flew to Ohio for a writers meeting. My seatmate was the CEO of a large news chain and I was a writer, so naturally we got talking. We actually discussed the kind of thing that this thread has mentioned. He told me that they have access to pictures of civilians being killed in the Middle East, etc. He openly told me that their coverage was one-sided. But he said that this was what the America public wanted. People didn't feel comfortable seeing that side of the story, so they didn't print much from that angle. It wasn't a deliberate effort to deceive, it was giving their customers what they wanted.

Now we could say that they had an obligation to give the whole story. I'd personally prefer that. But they are a business and in a business the customer is king.

I guess my point is that we are partly pointing the finger at the wrong party. The Washington Post knew that their news would sell papers. They erred in not being careful enough, but they did come back with the answers. What more can you expect?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

appleman2006 wrote: Someone said earlier that we can become too untrusting to the point that we miss obvious truth. I agree and I think that is a sad reality of where we have come in society. And it is weird how we will pick and choose the stories we want to believe. The same person that will unquestioningly believe every tidbit on manmade climate change will also almost reject every thing that mainline science has to say in regards to GMOs and pesticides and vice versa. The same person that would laugh at the fact there might of been any wrong doing on the part of the government in a situation like Waco will withhold vaccines from their children because the "government and the medical world are out to get us".
:up:
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote:
appleman2006 wrote: Someone said earlier that we can become too untrusting to the point that we miss obvious truth. I agree and I think that is a sad reality of where we have come in society. And it is weird how we will pick and choose the stories we want to believe. The same person that will unquestioningly believe every tidbit on manmade climate change will also almost reject every thing that mainline science has to say in regards to GMOs and pesticides and vice versa. The same person that would laugh at the fact there might of been any wrong doing on the part of the government in a situation like Waco will withhold vaccines from their children because the "government and the medical world are out to get us".
:up:
I don't intend to make a fuss about mistrust but I believe we are to use some knowledge. For example: I asked our doctor why he was proposing we inject our 6 month old with a vaccine for Hepatitis B while it is a disease only contradicted by sex or dirty needles? He said good question...

Glaxosmith and Kline makes 2 billion a year from that vaccine...

I am not implying anything here but rather presenting facts of things the doctor agreed upon.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Sure. That is one vaccine and a far different argument than most of what is being said out there.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

appleman2006 wrote:Sure. That is one vaccine and a far different argument than most of what is being said out there.
If your referring to scientific evidence? Epidemiological studies are so unconvincing that they don't get recognized as fact in the court system and it has only been these studies that they have used as "evidence" for vaccines working.
It is against the law in Canada for the doctor or nurse to release to the parent what are the ingredients in the vaccine as well. I verified this information plus much more with the public health nurse as being accurate.
Had a chiropractor walk up to us one time in a restaurant when we had 4 children and point out 2 of them and say I can tell by the whites of their eyes that those 2 have not been vaccinated... He was right. ;)
I'm not against vaccines and we would get them if we had too but I have failed to find evidence that would actually support them that isn't set up just like evidence for evolution.
:yawn:

The cancer my cousin had (thankfully he lived) was admittedly linked to dirty vaccines giving out during the time we were children and would have had that vaccine.

Like the spiritual things we talk about their is a ditch on both sides of the road...
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Ah, now we're getting to some real solid fake news!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:Ah, now we're getting to some real solid fake news!
It's time like these I think about going back to being a middle of the road liberal, where I don't have to hear about how the Jews give us goyim vaccines with dangerous ingredients to kill our kids, the Illuminati is using fluoridated water to control our thoughts, and that any disease I have can be cured with essential oils.

Be subject to the lawful authorities. Vaccinate your kids. Trust their health to God.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Just listened to this: Journalist discussing Putin, Trump, hacking, geopolitics, etc Don't know if it answers the who-done-it but gives some perspectives on possible whys...
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Wade

Post by Wade »

Josh wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:Ah, now we're getting to some real solid fake news!
It's time like these I think about going back to being a middle of the road liberal, where I don't have to hear about how the Jews give us goyim vaccines with dangerous ingredients to kill our kids, the Illuminati is using fluoridated water to control our thoughts, and that any disease I have can be cured with essential oils.

Be subject to the lawful authorities. Vaccinate your kids. Trust their health to God.
I wasn't aware of these things? There is certain information that can be agreed upon as fact and that is what I sought out when I first started having an interest in truth.
For example it was stated by the public health nurse that there is only as much mercury in a fish as is in most vaccines. I wanted to know things, so I asked if a baby would ever be able to consume a whole fish? Public health nurse answer: No. Would injecting mercury into your blood stream as compared to eating mercury make a difference in how your body metabolized it. Public health nurse answer: Yes. So I asked then why do you tell me things like the vaccine is safe because it isn't any different than a baby eating a whole fish?
By the end of the conversation the public health nurse had more questions than me!
I didn't desire to discredit but rather there was so much information that contradicted another...

It is not law to vaccinate here.
And I don't have goats. :lol:
Our children have been healthier since I have trusted their health to God! :P
0 x