Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Credible News Sources: The Russian Hacking Story

Post by RZehr »

This whole Russian hacking story strikes me as a red herring.
The Democrats seem to be using it as an excuse for losing, while in retrospect they probably would have lost anyhow.
While the Republicans seem to be contorting themselves into all manner of shapes in order to fit in with some sort of future pro-Russian agenda that they don't seem to quite understand yet.
I'm not saying it did or didn't happen.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Bootstrap wrote:
ragpicker wrote:It was Fake News. CNN and Buzzfeed ran with it, as did a number of other people.
Buzzfeed did.

I don't see CNN as particularly trustworthy, but according to The Hill, CNN was much more restrained, stating that it would not publish the allegations because it could not corroborate them.
CNN did not publish the actual report like Buzz feed did but I believe the fact that they headlined the report first was what gave buzz feed the courage to do what they did. Right now though I am thinking that CNN wishes they would of done what the other news agencies did and been even more restrained.

Let me make a prediction. Buzz feed will totally lose their seat at the White house press conferences and CNN will be relegated to a back seat and will be lucky to ever get acknowledged for a question.

And they have no one to blame but themselves.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:This whole Russian hacking story strikes me as a red herring.
The Democrats seem to be using it as an excuse for losing, while in retrospect they probably would have lost anyhow.
While the Republicans seem to be contorting themselves into all manner of shapes in order to fit in with some sort of future pro-Russian agenda that they don't seem to quite understand yet.
I think there is lots of evidence that it happened. I just find it quite hypocritical that the left is all of a sudden so worried about it when in fact it is not a new thing at all. This is sour grapes of the worst sort and had they won this would not even be news.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

appleman2006 wrote:
I think there is lots of evidence that it happened. I just find it quite hypocritical that the left is all of a sudden so worried about it when in fact it is not a new thing at all. This is sour grapes of the worst sort and had they won this would not even be news.
I haven't looked at the evidence at all. I don't really care enough about it to do so, but I do read headlines. It does seem odd to me that the two parties seem to have done backflips and now are singing the other parties traditional tune.
0 x
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

RZehr wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
I haven't looked at the evidence at all. I don't really care enough about it to do so, but I do read headlines. It does seem odd to me that the two parties seem to have done backflips and now are singing the other parties traditional tune.
I tend to agree.
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Bootstrap wrote: I don't see CNN as particularly trustworthy, but according to The Hill, CNN was much more restrained, stating that it would not publish the allegations because it could not corroborate them.
They used it very effectively to smear Trump while maintaining a faux level of plausible deniability.
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

ragpicker wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: I don't see CNN as particularly trustworthy, but according to The Hill, CNN was much more restrained, stating that it would not publish the allegations because it could not corroborate them.
They used it very effectively to smear Trump while maintaining a faux level of plausible deniability.
That was certainly their goal. I think it backfired on them a bit when most of the other mainline news media even refused to go that far.
Let's just say that they are slow learners. ;)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Many Republicans, the CIA, FBI, and NSA want this investigated too.

I don't think this is about who won the election. This is the first time I know of that a foreign country selectively released hacked information to influence the result of an American election. I think that's significant no matter which side won. Let's face it, everyone hacks everyone, looking for information, but selectively releasing hacked information like this to influence an American election is a new thing.

And Trump's ties to Russia are very relevant here, especially since he repeatedly denies proven ties, refuses to release basic information like his income taxes, and goes out of his way to praise Putin every chance he gets. I predict that during the next phases of investigation, we will learn more about these ties and Trump's financial interests.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:I haven't looked at the evidence at all. I don't really care enough about it to do so, but I do read headlines. It does seem odd to me that the two parties seem to have done backflips and now are singing the other parties traditional tune.
On Russia, you mean? Until recently, I think there's been broad consensus on Russia across party lines. Harry Enten did a great article on this at FiveThirtyEight:

All Of A Sudden, Russia Has Become A Partisan Issue

Basically, American views of Russia have shifted up and down a lot over the years, but there's been very little difference between Democrats and Republicans at any given time. Until recently.

Suddenly, Trump is praising Putin and Russia at a time that most Americans see it as a danger, and Russia is a partisan issue in a way that it has not been.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps the Lord would be honoured to see America trying to make peace instead of war with Russia.
0 x