Justifying violent acts against those with different opinions...

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Justifying violent acts against those with different opinions...

Post by karpos »

Teen attacked at Whataburger for wearing 'Make America Great Again' hat
SAN ANTONIO - Police are investigating after a teen says he was verbally attacked and assaulted at a Whataburger for wearing a Make America Great Again hat.

In the video, you can see a man throw a drink in 16-year-old Hunter Richard's face before leaving the restaurant with his hat. Hunter said some of his hair was pulled during the assault.

"I support my President and if you don’t let’s have a conversation about it instead of ripping my hat off. I just think a conversation about politics is more productive for the entire whole rather than taking my hat and yelling subjective words to me," he said.
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/ ... -again-hat

I can only imagine what would happen if someone did the same thing to someone wearing an article of clothing with a liberal/left wing political message.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Justifying violent acts against those with different opinions...

Post by temporal1 »

karpos wrote: .. I can only imagine what would happen if someone did the same thing to someone wearing an article of clothing with a liberal/left wing political message.
what would you imagine?
this type of garb has been “standard-issue” for many years, esp on college campuses and in high schools. it’s “cool.” you have not noticed?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Post by karpos »

temporal1 wrote:
karpos wrote: .. I can only imagine what would happen if someone did the same thing to someone wearing an article of clothing with a liberal/left wing political message.
what would you imagine?
this type of garb has been “standard-issue” for many years, esp on college campuses and in high schools. it’s “cool.” you have not noticed?
I think some act of violenece against someone wearing a hat promoting a left wing / liberal /minority would be called a hate crime and it would make the evening news.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Hate is an equal opportunity employer.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote:Hate is an equal opportunity employer.
Come on Dan. You know this would have played out differently if left and right were reversed.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

karpos wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
what would you imagine?
I think some act of violenece against someone wearing a hat promoting a left wing / liberal /minority would be called a hate crime and it would make the evening news.
ok. i see what you mean, and, agree. that’s just how it is now, to an alarming extent.

the left has been tolerated, their extremes “normalized” and tolerated, to the point they no longer are even noticed! by either “side.” they just do as they please, certain there will be no repercussions.

i had one surprise not long after Trump was elected. :-|
the nearest town is dominated by a state university, quite liberal, always has been. (little surprises me.)

on this day, tho, i was chatting with a small business owner. he mentioned he was glad Trump won.
we talked about that a little. this was soon after the election.

he told me he usually put a political sign out near election times for whatever candidate he favored.
but, not this time. he did not want vandalism, stolen signs, broken windows, etc.
he said he knew others did just as he did in 2016.

not long after, i spoke with a relative who drives a semi. i told him about this.
he immediately agreed, and said he’d seen+heard signs of this all over several states.
people not wanting to attract aggression.

this is what we’ve come to In the U.S. :(
unfortunately, the left has conceeded nothing since 2016, instead choosing to ramp up both rhetoric and aggression. like appleman, i’d been watching things unfold over years, i would have been pleasantly surprised if the left accepted+respected their loss. on any level.

not surprising, but very sad to witness.
people who refuse to be governed will lose the privilege of free society.
that’s just how it is.

strange, how the left has been so tolerated for so long, they no longer appreciate the freedoms, somehow, they have convinced themselves they are “right!” in all matters, to the extent they no longer have to fuss with those that disagree! right+proud.

they do not realize, with this view, THEY will lose just as much as any others. it’s a no-win game.
if they studied history, it’s all in there! nothing new. they are so “right!” they don’t have to bother with history, rule of law, obedience of any description.

imho, it’s the end result of worship of self-as-god. :(

on one hand, it’s so outrageous, it could be comical.
they claim to “want nothing” from these people they hate so much. they just want them to die.
however! - they DO want everything these horrible people have.

the message is: “you are awful, you must die; now hand over everything you have, and, go.”
not a well-thought-out approach. :?

i’ve been reading about #WalkAway.
i know almost nothing about it. i do not twitter or other.
one day, i may look it up.

it has a nice ring to it. :)
Last edited by temporal1 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would note that whilst nonresistant Anabaptists can debate what is healthy for society, in our own personal lives, we should:

(1) Not choose to wear garb such as MAGA hats, bumper stickers, and so on that identifies us with one political faction or another.

(2) We should indeed expect a certain amount of persecution or violent acts for our commitment to believing, following, and preaching the simple message of Jesus' good news.

(3) We are not to return evil for evil, but rather should turn the other cheek and consider ourselves blessed.

(4) If the government decides to punish someone who harms us, that is the government's decision, and we should allow the government to do its job, understanding that may very will be orchestrated by God. If the government is unjust and allows such evil to go on unchecked, we must trust that God will ultimately take care of both us and of reconciling all of humanity to himself, and ultimately will pronounce perfect just judgment on both the righteous and the wicked.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:I would note that whilst nonresistant Anabaptists can debate what is healthy for society, in our own personal lives, we should:

(1) Not choose to wear garb such as MAGA hats, bumper stickers, and so on that identifies us with one political faction or another.

(2) We should indeed expect a certain amount of persecution or violent acts for our commitment to believing, following, and preaching the simple message of Jesus' good news.

(3) We are not to return evil for evil, but rather should turn the other cheek and consider ourselves blessed.

(4) If the government decides to punish someone who harms us, that is the government's decision, and we should allow the government to do its job, understanding that may very will be orchestrated by God. If the government is unjust and allows such evil to go on unchecked, we must trust that God will ultimately take care of both us and of reconciling all of humanity to himself, and ultimately will pronounce perfect just judgment on both the righteous and the wicked.
this pretty much describes where i’m at .. and, most i know would align with it, without knowing what Anabaptists are.

the media circus, thankfully, has no interest. in what i think of as, the UNorganized majority.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:this pretty much describes where i’m at .. and, most i know would align with it, without knowing what Anabaptists are.
I'm surprised by this statement. Are most of the people you know non-resistant Christians?

I know plenty of Christians, but outside of ones who are non-resistant, I know very few who don't have quite a bit of feelings towards one political affiliation or another. Many of my Christian and non-Christian friends feel very incensed when they talk about some outrage recently committed by someone either on the left wing or the right wing.

Despite all the talk about the "media circus", and complaints about how the media is unfair to their own political views, they're quite willing to share news stories with me, links, URLs, etc. from their preferred media sources about some outrage that has recently happened. This behaviour is identical for people on both the left and the right wing.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:this pretty much describes where i’m at .. and, most i know would align with it, without knowing what Anabaptists are.
I'm surprised by this statement. Are most of the people you know non-resistant Christians?

I know plenty of Christians, but outside of ones who are non-resistant, I know very few who don't have quite a bit of feelings towards one political affiliation or another. Many of my Christian and non-Christian friends feel very incensed when they talk about some outrage recently committed by someone either on the left wing or the right wing.

Despite all the talk about the "media circus", and complaints about how the media is unfair to their own political views, they're quite willing to share news stories with me, links, URLs, etc. from their preferred media sources about some outrage that has recently happened. This behaviour is identical for people on both the left and the right wing.
i believe what you are describing.
life wasn’t always this way, altho for young ones born into it, that may easily be the sense they have.

i’m older. my perspective is different.

i’m happy to say, my adult children (near-ish your age) seem to easily reject these things, example: their FB pages are politics-free. my daughter has hundreds of FB friends, i notice very few referring to politics on their pages. my son’s FB page is nearly as private as mine. :lol:
he refuses to talk about politics/voting. they do not watch tv. i don’t see any of their friends ever referring to tv. they are busy working and living.

my older family+friends might “grunt” about something now+then, but, we always had the habit of not talking politics, esp in the family. those that voted did not discuss it. no “recruiting” for causes.

but, to repeat, i do not doubt your experience.
0 x

UNKNOWN