Credible faith

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Credible faith

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:The real "us" versus "them" for Kingdom Christians is the Kingdom versus the World. And almost all of the news sources we consume are of the world. Perhaps we would do better to be open-eyed about how that affects each of them.
boot, you seem to -love- all the world's wisdom.
when your theories and beliefs fall apart, you head for God's Kingdom, to stave off (what you can't win or deny) suggesting others are less-than, as you go.

there is faith. there is faith of convenience.
Maybe this is the core of many of our debates - what is the Kingdom of God, what is the world, and how does that relate to the politics that surround us.

Here's my take: Faith is about putting our trust in Jesus entirely, obeying Scripture, obeying his guidance, loving God and loving our neighbor, and serving others. Faith is not about buying into political agendas or promoting one side of the culture war. So when I see someone constantly promoting certain political agendas and suggesting that all true Christians should do the same, that looks like false faith to me. I really do think that both political parties and all news sources are of the world, so when someone seems to blindly promote one edge of that, it does not look like promoting the Kingdom to me. For me, Bible study, seeking fellowship, serving others, prayer, seeking guidance, etc. are important markers of how I am doing in my faith.

I don't know if you are equating education and seeking facts with worldly wisdom, or if there's something else you see as worldly wisdom. We can all deceive ourselves, but I at least try to shun worldly wisdom, even when it comes from Christians. And to me, conflating Christianity with various political agendas is worldly wisdom. Conspiracy theories are worldly wisdom. Enmity and hostility is worldly wisdom. Those are things I want to speak out against.

What's your take? How do you distinguish true faith? What choices do you make in your own life to live it out?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Credible faith

Post by temporal1 »

consistent witness.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:consistent witness.
Consistent witness to what? How would you measure that? What choices do you make in your own life to live it out?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Credible: Able to be believed; convincing
John 13:35 wrote:By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.
James 2:18 wrote:Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Matthew 25:40 wrote:And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
To me, the most convincing kind of faith is the faith that reaches out and helps those in need unconditionally. The priest and the Levite had other "more important" things to do than to help some poor injured fellow, especially considering that fellow should have known better than to be traveling that road alone in the dark. If he had used a bit of common sense, he would have never gotten robbed in the first place, so why should they put themselves in danger and use their resources to help him out? The Samaritan likely had his theology a bit mixed up (we should worship on this mountain), but his compassion showed that he was closer to the kingdom than the priest and Levite.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:Credible: Able to be believed; convincing
John 13:35 wrote:By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.
James 2:18 wrote:Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Matthew 25:40 wrote:And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
To me, the most convincing kind of faith is the faith that reaches out and helps those in need unconditionally. The priest and the Levite had other "more important" things to do than to help some poor injured fellow, especially considering that fellow should have known better than to be traveling that road alone in the dark. If he had used a bit of common sense, he would have never gotten robbed in the first place, so why should they put themselves in danger and use their resources to help him out?

:arrow: The Samaritan likely had his theology a bit mixed up (we should worship on this mountain),
but his compassion showed that he was closer to the kingdom than the priest and Levite.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

I'm not sure what you mean by this... I hope you're not referring to the thoroughly inconsistent, compromised witness of many american christians and their politicians...

For me, credible faith is the good fruit I can see someone living; the real, tangible "faithful works" (a term I think I first heard from John D Martin) It's much more than verbally witnessing. It's living something that brings life, love and light in a dark world. That's a consistent witness.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Jazman wrote:
For me, credible faith is the good fruit I can see someone living; the real, tangible "faithful works" (a term I think I first heard from John D Martin) It's much more than verbally witnessing.

It's living something that brings life, love and light in a dark world.
That's a consistent witness.
it is, and, as Jesus modeled, it can be accomplished by the most humble, in the most dire circumstances, and, often is! .. He knows our hearts in all matters.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Jazman wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this... I hope you're not referring to the thoroughly inconsistent, compromised witness of many american christians and their politicians...

For me, credible faith is the good fruit I can see someone living; the real, tangible "faithful works" (a term I think I first heard from John D Martin) It's much more than verbally witnessing. It's living something that brings life, love and light in a dark world. That's a consistent witness.
I'm enjoying some of the things Russell Moore (president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention) is writing about this. Here's a quote from another opinion piece he wrote:
The old-school political Religious Right establishment wonders why the evangelical next generation rejects their way. The past year is illustration enough. The evangelical movement is filled with younger, multiethnic, gospel-centered Christians. They are defined by a clear theology and a clear mission — not by the doctrinally vacuous resentment over a lost regime of nominal, cultural “Christian America.”

The people who have used the gospel to sell us politically cynical voting guides have done damage. But they are not replicating themselves in the next generation.

The old-guard is easier to engage in politics, because they find identity in a “silent majority” of Americans. The next generation knows that our witness is counter to the culture, not just on the sanctity of life and the stability of the family but, most importantly, on the core of the gospel itself: Christ and him crucified.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Are the fruits of one's life consistent with the Truth taught by Christ? It can't be just any truth or any fruit. It has to be fruit that reflects Biblical teaching.

Does one spend all day on forums talking about Faith or does one go out to people in real time and try to bring that Faith into a living reality?

Getting off the forums and limiting time online is a beginning. Using the time gained to put the Bible into practice is a fruit.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:Are the fruits of one's life consistent with the Truth taught by Christ? It can't be just any truth or any fruit. It has to be fruit that reflects Biblical teaching.

Does one spend all day on forums talking about Faith or does one go out to people in real time and try to bring that Faith into a living reality?

Getting off the forums and limiting time online is a beginning. Using the time gained to put the Bible into practice is a fruit.
good thoughts.
i will add, on MD, i "met" several members who were not well or disabled in some way.
i realized, for the home bound, the internet can be a true "equalizer."

one young man was very ill, in a lot of physical pain, would often post in the wee hours ..
MD was such a blessing for him. he could express himself and interact with others .. without worry about "bothering" others. over months, he was able to do much better.

i often wondered how much of his improvement had to do with being able to express himself .. being home bound is isolating. isolation is hard, for the young, brutally hard.

this is one area of the internet i am thankful for. it's a help to many people, they often can be of great help to others, which is a considerable healer, of itself.

i'm describing only one of many i know of, on MD-MN, and, in the world.
it's well for folks to have a place to "fellowship" and share and receive prayers with others interested in Jesus Christ.
0 x

UNKNOWN