Credible faith

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Credible faith

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Are the fruits of one's life consistent with the Truth taught by Christ? It can't be just any truth or any fruit. It has to be fruit that reflects Biblical teaching.
And I think that's what this thread is about - what exactly does that truth and fruit look like? Fruit is pretty clear - let me underline some of the things Christians can sometimes overlook:
Galatians 5 wrote:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
Some of that behavior can also show up online. I think we need to call each other on that, and not live in blatant sin by building factions that undercut each other. I think we need to seek reconciliation instead of parading grudges. To me, these are important markers of credible faith.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Credible faith

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Does one spend all day on forums talking about Faith or does one go out to people in real time and try to bring that Faith into a living reality?

Getting off the forums and limiting time online is a beginning. Using the time gained to put the Bible into practice is a fruit.
As a computer scientist, I'm online all day, so it's pretty convenient to pull up a forum when I take a break. And I think examining our faith is pretty important - how do we get it right? An online forum like this can be helpful for that. Obviously, living it out is essential, we want our real life and our online life to match.

I definitely agree that you can overdo forums, but a forum can also be a good place to understand the Bible better together, and think about the best way to apply it to our lives. And it can be a very good place to examine our Kingdom and how we live in relation to That Other Kingdom.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?