Good things about the Trump presidency

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Neoanabaptist
Affiliation:

Re: Good things about the Trump presidency

Post by Neoanabaptist »

I'm somewhat older than most of you, I suppose.
On my opinion, there are other Republican politicians which have been treated just as Trump: Goldwater, Nixon and Reagan were all demonized as Nazis and Fascists. Only, polemics against Goldwater disappeared after he lost the election, polemics against Nixon disppeared after he was forced to retreat, polemics against Reagan died out in his second term after everyone had got accustomed to him; also he had made some concessions (the amnesty of illegal immigrants) and some of his politics had been obviously successful.
George Bush was an exception: the first Republican president who was less demonized than derided.
So the treatment of Trump and the polarization are quite normal political behaviour in the United States. If Trump relives a second term he may perhaps overcome it, like Reagan. If one really wants to avoid this from the beginning, one cannot have a Republican president at all (which would be the end of two-party-democracy).
0 x
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Jazman wrote:I dislike most of the President's policies and I dislike his character BUT I've found some silver linings...
- he's a sifter/divider. Those christians worshipping power, money and national glory are being exposed, in contrast to those who endeavor to follow only Jesus Christ and His way.
- he's vigorously rubbing off the shine on the american-exceptionalist polish. The more isolated or chaotic we become and as other countries stop looking up to us, the closer we (country and citizens) are, if we choose so, to being more humble about our place in the universe. If we choose a proud way, we'll get to final debasement/dissolution even faster (and putting the american christian nationalist myth to rest, hopefully forever).
You just couldn't bring yourself to lay your bitterness aside and say something nice about your president, Mr. Donald Trump could you? :)
0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The more isolated or chaotic we become and as other countries stop looking up to us
As someone who spends lots of time in other countries, this is wishful thinking.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote:I'll pile on here...another good hiring report this AM - 250K jobs created, 3.7% unemployment, 3.1% wage growth - all good numbers! I do believe the pro-business/low-tax climate encouraged by the Trump administration has played an important part in encouraging continued economic growth, building nicely on top of the recovery started under the Obama administration.

Now - if people would just learn to go to their jobs, collect their paycheck, take care of their families and neighbors, and be nice to others...
thankfully, this is what the vast majority do. :)
Now - if there were some way - to keep this ever in mind, that “normal” is not considered “news”-worthy, so as to not digest “news-circus” as normal, but the exception ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Jazman wrote:I dislike most of the President's policies and I dislike his character BUT I've found some silver linings...
- he's a sifter/divider. Those christians worshipping power, money and national glory are being exposed, in contrast to those who endeavor to follow only Jesus Christ and His way.
- he's vigorously rubbing off the shine on the american-exceptionalist polish. The more isolated or chaotic we become and as other countries stop looking up to us, the closer we (country and citizens) are, if we choose so, to being more humble about our place in the universe. If we choose a proud way, we'll get to final debasement/dissolution even faster (and putting the american christian nationalist myth to rest, hopefully forever).
I already listed something I thought good about the Trump presidency, but this response brought to mind Bill Maher's article:
Maher Thanks Trump For Exposing Evangelicals As ‘Shameless Hypocrites’
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... CaDZeLJeCQ
I wish this could be said in a kinder way, but I think there's a lot of truth here.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JimFoxvog wrote:
I already listed something I thought good about the Trump presidency, but this response brought to mind Bill Maher's article:
Maher Thanks Trump For Exposing Evangelicals As ‘Shameless Hypocrites’
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... CaDZeLJeCQ
I wish this could be said in a kinder way, but I think there's a lot of truth here.
Satan's effective strategy is to mix truth with a lie.

Bill Maher is the last person anyone should listen to and he doesn't understand why Christians would vote for Trump vs Clinton- and one would be wasting their breath with him to try to explain. He's always enjoyed putting down people of faith.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I think both Valerie and Jim are right. Bill Maher is an arrogant, self-important, atheist windbag who doesn’t understand religious people AND he’s correct that Trump has exposed the hypocrisy of evangelicals. Whether that’s a good thing of the Trump presidency, depends on one’s perspective, I guess.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Szdfan wrote:I think both Valerie and Jim are right. Bill Maher is an arrogant, self-important, atheist windbag who doesn’t understand religious people AND he’s correct that Trump has exposed the hypocrisy of evangelicals. Whether that’s a good thing of the Trump presidency, depends on one’s perspective, I guess.
Yes, it shows the evangelical church as a total sellout in order to get power. They sold their moral authority in exchange for a couple of Supreme Court appointments. It is sad to see where it has gone.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote:I’ve heard many people say specific things they don’t like, such as dishonesty, morals, etc.

I also hear people allude that there are things they like.
What are some of the specific things you like about Trump, or his policies, or his administration etc.? Especially things that you think may be unique to this administration vs other Republicans.

I am currently overseas and was asked by a taxi driver this question.
‘Can’t say you didn’t try. :lol:

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Szdfan wrote:I think both Valerie and Jim are right. Bill Maher is an arrogant, self-important, atheist windbag who doesn’t understand religious people AND he’s correct that Trump has exposed the hypocrisy of evangelicals. Whether that’s a good thing of the Trump presidency, depends on one’s perspective, I guess.
Yes, it shows the evangelical church as a total sellout in order to get power. They sold their moral authority in exchange for a couple of Supreme Court appointments. It is sad to see where it has gone.

J.M.
In all fairness, it seems you don't believe Christians should vote at all. NO ONE can assume what is in the heart & mind of those who vote- every last person- I think it is seems arrogant to know what all is in the heart of men-and ascribe things to them that may or may not be true. I know many Christians who wouldn't fit that broad brush about hypocrisy of evangelicals for voting for President Trump.

And in all fairness, most Mennonites then would believe the "Christian" thing to do was to abstain from voting at all.
For those who are trying to affect the laws of the land in a positive way while seeing the direction it was going under the last administration- and who care about Godly laws either being upheld or restored- it is their conviction to try to make a difference. It has didly squat to do with 'power' in an evil since at all.

So once we establish the implication here is that it was hypocritical to vote for Trump if one is a person of Christian faith- then it would not be hypocritical to vote for Clinton?
0 x