Good things about the Trump presidency

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Good things about the Trump presidency

Post by temporal1 »

He’s not flashing gaudy lights all over the White House (for June, anyway).
That ended in 2017.

He added a nod to music, without lights: (Even HuffPo begrudgingly agreed) :shock:

“At Least Trump’s Black Music Month Statement Got This Right”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... c37c315a65

Personally, i prefer “plain months,” :)
i think of June as the long-time-marvelously-unofficial month for June brides, and traditional weddings.

i like “no gaudy lights;” i’m ok with a nod to music history ..

These are just matters of decorum and morale.
But, they count, too. Possibly more than one might think. Morale is important.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

Gorsuch :up:
Nikki Haley :up:

Otherwise, meh. Minor positives would be lowering the corporate tax rate, although I think it was lowered too much, and expanding the child tax credit, although it could have been expanded more if the corporate tax rate wasn't lowered as much. (I agree with Rubio that the tax bill was tilted too far towards corporations).
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

So far I like the results of Trump's presidency. The common pattern I see is that his administration is making progress in areas which have been neglected or stalled for a very long time. This applies to both foreign and domestic policy. He is good at cutting Gordian knots.

On the other hand, I don't like a lot of his statements which seem reckless or childish at times (eg, the "bigger button"). However they usually seem to advance his objectives by stirring things up in a way that works for him so there may be some strategic thinking lying behind it all, at least on an instinctive or gut level. His tweets and statements don't move the Overton Window so much as they break it.

Trump's strength is that he thrives on controversy. He has not only survived a deluge of vilification and resistance which would have buried any of the other Republicans he ran against in the primary, but he seems to have come through it untouched.

That strength is also Trump's weakness. When things get too quiet he manufactures controversy where none need exist by saying something deliberately provocative. As long as Trump is busy moving a positive agenda forward and getting results I think he will be okay, but if he ever starts getting bored ("too much winning!") he will only make trouble for himself.

But then again, provocativeness is a projection of fearlessness which is an expression of strength. Its message is that Trump doesn't need to carefully parse every statement for fear of media criticism or a Twitter mob. That goes to the centre of his brand which is that of the strong man (or "strong horse" in Bin Laden's terms). By that I don't mean as some do that Trump is an incipient dictator, but that his appeal for many lies in a thirst for a resolute leader for good in a time when
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

MattY wrote:Gorsuch :up:

Otherwise, meh. Minor positives would be lowering the corporate tax rate, although I think it was lowered too much, and expanding the child tax credit, although it could have been expanded more if the corporate tax rate wasn't lowered as much. (I agree with Rubio that the tax bill was tilted too far towards corporations).
In my opinion the lowering of the corporate tax rate has probably been his single biggest achievement to date. For a country that claims to like openness and freedom, every American should be applauding that one loudly. First because corporate taxes are nothing more than rampant hidden taxes on the masses as you are paying a portion of it every time you buy American goods and services but you have absolutely no idea how much. That should be extremely worrisome to you as it gives the government an incredible amount of power to raise taxes without any accountability.
Secondly lowering the corporate tax rate will do more to bring back jobs to America than all renegotiated trade agreements combined. IMO anyway.

Oh and I like Trump's sense of humour. :) Canada is a security threat because we burned the white house down in 1812. The president missed his calling. He should do stand up.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:Oh and I like Trump's sense of humour. :) Canada is a security threat because we burned the white house down in 1812. The president missed his calling. He should do stand up.
Didn't Rick Mercer already apologize for that?

Seriously, though, that's the only "security" justification given so far for breaking our international trade agreements with Canada, I'm not sure if that counts as humor. Or even humour.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

appleman2006 wrote:
MattY wrote:Gorsuch :up:

In my opinion the lowering of the corporate tax rate has probably been his single biggest achievement to date. For a country that claims to like openness and freedom, every American should be applauding that one loudly. First because corporate taxes are nothing more than rampant hidden taxes on the masses as you are paying a portion of it every time you buy American goods and services but you have absolutely no idea how much. That should be extremely worrisome to you as it gives the government an incredible amount of power to raise taxes without any accountability.
Secondly lowering the corporate tax rate will do more to bring back jobs to America than all renegotiated trade agreements combined. IMO anyway.

Oh and I like Trump's sense of humour. :) Canada is a security threat because we burned the white house down in 1812. The president missed his calling. He should do stand up.
I must have missed that last one. He does have a sense of humor.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

leave it to haithabu and appleman to write -just like- haithabu and appleman. :mrgreen:
good stuff in there.

now i’ll try to add something that may seem obtuse, or, incorrect, but .. i’ll try .. :?

while Trump’s speech -can be- .. colorful. and, agreed, provocative ..
he does not seem to be mean spirited. he seems to act with the motve of .. representing all.

for instance. quietly choosing not to dislplay the gaudy lights on the White House for June.
hate? no. dominance? no. punishment? no. fanfare? no.
would the easy path have been to just light the lights? yes.

going back to RZehr’s OP question, would other (let’s say) “establishment” Republicans have done this? - no.
no. they would not have chosen to take the firestorm (that is very likely going on behind the scenes.)
as Haithabu and appleman describe, Trump takes “firestorms” on and sheds them like “rain off a duck’s back.”

what is he doing? he’s upsetting “applecarts.” but not motivated with idle destruction. aside from chatter, no sign of destruction.
his motives and results seem to be constructive and healthy. for the true majority, not chosen factions (aka/lobbies.) $$$

it’s strange.
it must be hard to oppose him, because, those who oppose are likewise benefiting!
example.
when Pelosi, with a straight face, tries to rally her party with, “we promise to raise taxes again!”
rah-rah. a-w-k-w-a-r-d. :-|

it seems, there really are “establishment politicians” comprised of reps claiming to be 2 different parties. while, in reality, they are 1 party, for themselves. representing “the people” (was traded-off for self, years ago.)

when the rep questioning Mark Zuckerberg stated “in plain language,” what Congress does well:
Page 7 http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... erg#p32538
temporal1 wrote:Congressman Long gives MZ fair warning / 2 min
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/04/11 ... mpaign=DMS
he makes many good points.
“If I was you, a little bit of advice,” the Missouri Republican told the 33-year-old billionaire.

:arrow: “Congress is good at two things: doing nothing and overreacting,” he said.

“So far we’ve done nothing on Facebook, since your inception,” he continued. “We’re getting ready to overreact. So just take that as a shot across the bow warning to you.”

true enough. he left one important part out.
what Congress does BEST, everyday, every year, is:
they represent and legislate THE VERY BEST pay, terms, benefits, privileges, protections, et al.,
FOR THEMSELVES. they do this with dedicated zeal and no delay: first priority!

Trump has watched this up-close for decades, and, has paid plenty into that rigged system. more than i could imagine.

so, now, he seems to be upsetting their “applecarts,” so to speak. :P
not in a mean way. but, in a fair way.

he offers, “when you decide to be fair, welcome.” :)

for some, being fair is a big threat.
to distinguish who is threatened, follow their angry rhetoric and accusations.
they reveal themselves. better than any other could.

interesting. his “opposition” brought this on themselves.

if they had MERELY been diplomatic on any level, rather than “resolute,” they would probably still have their game going. they became too self-centered, too greedy, too “obvious.” this drew attention from those who ordinarily are just busy living their lives, paying bills, watching tv, etc. ordinary people.

they politicized “everything,” not anticipating politics is a fearsome 2-edged sword.
truth is stranger than fiction.

Trump picked up the sword they crafted. :shock:
now to see what this brings. “everything changes everything.”

as in all my adult life, i pray for the elected to be wonderful, even inspired, representatives.
i esp pray now for no assassinations. as Trump meets with N Korea, i pray for peace, no violence.
no violence for the men leading, or the world which would pay the high prices of violence.

i remember too well past assassinations. i pray, please. no more.

i remain astonished Trump even considered picking up that sword.

obviously, the vast majority of able men would not even consider it.
true in all of U.S. history. being POTUS is not the most desirable place to be in this world.
those who are able have marvelous alternative choices. no one HAS to step up.

we ordinary citizens need to remember that.
0 x

UNKNOWN
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Bootstrap wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Oh and I like Trump's sense of humour. :) Canada is a security threat because we burned the white house down in 1812. The president missed his calling. He should do stand up.
Didn't Rick Mercer already apologize for that?

Seriously, though, that's the only "security" justification given so far for breaking our international trade agreements with Canada, I'm not sure if that counts as humor. Or even humour.
NAFTA contains an exit clause whereby any member state can withdraw on 6 months notice. What Trump is proposing is not breaking the agreement in the sense of reneging on it, but it relies on a provision which the agreement contained from the beginning.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MattY wrote:(I agree with Rubio that the tax bill was tilted too far towards corporations).
I agree with Rubio on a lot of things. Still wish he was our president. He was a little frustrating in that he couldn't manage his personal finances and things like that, but overall I liked the man.
I remember him saying about Obama, “Our problem with President Obama isn’t that he’s a bad person. By all accounts, he too is a good husband and a good father and, thanks to lots of practice, a good golfer. Our problem is that he’s a bad president.”
Is it scriptural possible to "honor the king" and still say things like this? :)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

OP, Page 1
RZehr wrote:I’ve heard many people say specific things they don’t like, such as dishonesty, morals, etc.
I also hear people allude that there are things they like.
What are some of the specific things you like about Trump, or his policies, or his administration etc.? Especially things that you think may be unique to this administration vs other Republicans.
I am currently overseas and was asked by a taxi driver this question.
you got about a page+a half on your OP. pretty good for this crowd. :D

one thing i’ve noticed about Trump personally is .. the presidency is known for “aging” men in that office. Trump does not appear to be “worse-for-wear” (yet). in his shoes, i would be!
especially flying through time zones over+over. exhausting.

yet, he’s keeping up. and, everyone expects him to be tireless.
0 x

UNKNOWN