College Education: "us" versus "them"

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: College Education: "us" versus "them"

Post by KingdomBuilder »

This cantilever-loving guy sounds like he had plenty of analytical skills, but very few practical skills. An expert is someone with both
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: Say you have a flatbed truck where the end of the bed is ten feet behind the rear axle. If you set a 10,000 pound load on the very tail of the bed, you'll see the rear axle weight go up by maybe 12,000 pounds, because some of the weight from the front axle will be transferred to the rear axle. It might be more appropriate to call it the "lever effect."
But I gather the house would have been level at the end of the process, and the cantilever effect would not be relevant?
Well the cantilever effect does shift the weight around on the piles as the house moves. As each of the rollers under the house approaches a crib pile, more weight gets transferred onto that crib pile. So the cantilever effect was certainly relevant. But finally the total amount of weight is the total amount of weight. So if we add up the weights on all the piles and they come to more than the house weighs, we know something is wrong. The only way that could possibly happen would be if we had a beam set up like a see-saw, anchored to the ground at one end, with the load on the opposite side of the support. Even then, we would calculate the tie-down force of the anchor as a negative weight and everything would add up to the total weight of the house.
For each position of the house, if you add up the pile reactions due to that specific position of the house, and get more than the house weighs, something is wrong.

Now look at each pile and take the maximum reaction at that pile caused by any of the positions of the house. That's your envelope reaction at that pile. The leftmost pile's envelope reaction is caused when the house is in the leftmost position. The rightmost pile's envelope reaction is caused when the house is in the rightmost position.

The sum of the reactions of the piles for one specific position of the house will equal the weight of the house.
The sum of the envelope reactions of the piles will be more than the house weighs.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I think we're quickly learning which people to trust if we move a house. And it sure isn't me.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

cmbl wrote:The sum of the reactions of the piles for one specific position of the house will equal the weight of the house.
This is the first principle of statics. If the house is static (not moving), the sum of forces acting on it (in this case the weight of the house and the reactions on the piles, neglecting wind and seismic for simplicity) is zero. Some of the forces could be negative if the weight distribution produces a cantilever.
The sum of the envelope reactions of the piles will be more than the house weighs.
This is true only if the house is stationery. :ugeek:

There is a long-running argument among building scientists (particularly those for whom precision is a Hallmark of their practice) as to whether "building envelope" or "building enclosure" is the preferred terminology. For similar reasons, if we were starting this bunny trail with a clean sheet of paper, I would stick with "maximum reactions" for clarity.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:This is true only if the house is stationery. :ugeek:
A house is never stationery.
sta·tion·er·y
ˈstāSHəˌnerē/
noun
US
writing paper, especially with matching envelopes.
writing and other office materials.
So I guess we don't have to worry about that.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

cmbl wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
But I gather the house would have been level at the end of the process, and the cantilever effect would not be relevant?
Well the cantilever effect does shift the weight around on the piles as the house moves. As each of the rollers under the house approaches a crib pile, more weight gets transferred onto that crib pile. So the cantilever effect was certainly relevant. But finally the total amount of weight is the total amount of weight. So if we add up the weights on all the piles and they come to more than the house weighs, we know something is wrong. The only way that could possibly happen would be if we had a beam set up like a see-saw, anchored to the ground at one end, with the load on the opposite side of the support. Even then, we would calculate the tie-down force of the anchor as a negative weight and everything would add up to the total weight of the house.
For each position of the house, if you add up the pile reactions due to that specific position of the house, and get more than the house weighs, something is wrong.

Now look at each pile and take the maximum reaction at that pile caused by any of the positions of the house. That's your envelope reaction at that pile. The leftmost pile's envelope reaction is caused when the house is in the leftmost position. The rightmost pile's envelope reaction is caused when the house is in the rightmost position.

The sum of the reactions of the piles for one specific position of the house will equal the weight of the house.
Yes, I agree with this. It might be time for me to get out of here before the real experts on the subject expose me for what I am. :lol: :lol:
Are you a structural engineer by any chance?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote:
House of cards???
:laugh :laugh :laugh
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
House of cards???
I think he's pushing the envelope.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ken_sylvania wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
House of cards???
He mentioned Hallmark, so it probably is, but not in an envelope, I don't think.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

silentreader wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
House of cards???
He mentioned Hallmark, so it probably is, but not in an envelope, I don't think.
Do you have any scientific proof of that?
0 x