Trump cutting military spending?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Trump cutting military spending?

Post by temporal1 »

Ukraine

“Russia Invades Ukraine 2022” / Current Events
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4584

“The military draft” / Anabaptist Theology
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4585
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Found in NYT Analysis, following 2022 SOTU:
“It is striking to see the bipartisan applause for the Ukraine section,” says The Washington Post’s Megan McArdle.
:arrow: “War brings people together and makes them forget their lesser squabbles.”

:idea: THAT’S IT.
Trump should have known, WARS UNITE! Nothing like an old-fashioned good versus evil war.

i couldn’t view the SOTU. no stomach for it.
i read somewhere it was the “second least viewed.” i don’t know the first/worst.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

"Bipartisan applause" should concern us all - it means our pocket is about to get picked.

Not looking forward to writing big checks for taxes that I know will go to buying bombs, ammunition, guns, artillery, land mines, and other things to hurt and kill people.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:32 pm Not looking forward to writing big checks for taxes that I know will go to buying bombs, ammunition, guns, artillery, land mines, and other things to hurt and kill people.
That's why I can't in good conscience pay income tax.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2018 / Page 1
also in the news .. a petition to nominate Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize.
“House Republicans nominate Trump for Nobel peace prize”
“Eighteen lawmakers write to Nobel committee to say president should receive 2019 prize
‘in recognition of his work to end the Korean war’ “
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... eace-prize

regarding the Peace Prize, like my advice to my family above, i would, “wait and see.”

:arrow: but, i prefer chatter of Peace Prizes rather than nuclear war, which was on the table for years. :shock:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:36 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:32 pm Not looking forward to writing big checks for taxes that I know will go to buying bombs, ammunition, guns, artillery, land mines, and other things to hurt and kill people.
That's why I can't in good conscience pay income tax.
It’s a position I respect, although social security taxes ending up funding war too.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:25 pm It’s a position I respect, although social security taxes ending up funding war too.
Sadly, to some extent that's true. But, to me, that's different as the general budget borrows the money from the trust fund and pays interest the same as they do on any other money they borrow. They'd borrow from some other source if Social Security wasn't available.

I believe that Social Security is a beneficial program, so I want to support it.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:29 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:42 pm The US could quit spending more on the military than the next top eleven countries combined.
While not connected to climate change, much of the cost of the US military is policing he world. The US would have to go back to isolationalism to cut much of these costs. I would support it, but doubt it will happen.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

“U.S. Secret Wars EXPOSED as oil tankers attacked overnight in Syria” | Redacted with Clayton Morris / -27min

Description:
How many wars is the United States involved in?
It's not a handful. Try FOUR hands full!

We discuss the powers that allow the United States to continue to rage wars around the world and talk about recent drone attacks in Syria that have killed at least 15 people.

Journalist Kevork Almassian joins us on the show. Follow him here @SyrianaAnalysis or on his YouTube channel ..

0 x

UNKNOWN
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:19 pm
I don't know what MIC/$$$ is but there has been a movement within some elements of the US government to try to get US allies in both Europe and Asia to step up and contribute more to their own defensive capabilities.

Trump was actually the biggest proponent of this position with his threatening to cut off US participation in NATO if NATO countries didn't step up their military spending to the NATO target level of 2% of GDP. He was most loud about it with respect to western Europe and NATO, but he also pushed a similar policy of encouraging both Korea and Japan to step up their military spending so that the US wouldn't have to indefinitely cover the defense needs of all of those wealthy allies.

That is one thing I will give Trump credit for. It is past time for the US to stop being the world's policeman and for us Americans to continue to pay for it. Better to let other countries step up and participate in their own defense even if we have to support them doing so, instead of maintaining outrageously expensive American military bases and troop deployments around the world. That doesn't mean we cut off allies and retreat from the world. It means we expect them to step up and do their part.
It is certainly true that the United States has historically played a major role in defending its allies and promoting international stability around the world. However, it is also important for these allies to contribute to their own defense and security, as this can help to promote a more balanced and sustainable global security structure. Encouraging allies to increase their military spending and capabilities can help to reduce the burden on the United States and allow it to focus on other priorities, while also promoting greater stability and security within those countries and regions. Ultimately, finding the right balance between the United States' role in defending its allies and the responsibilities of these allies to contribute to their own defense is an important issue that continues to be debated and discussed in the United States and around the world.
0 x