Trump cutting military spending?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: Trump cutting military spending?

Post by Jazman »

Josh wrote:Obama didn't end democracy in America and Trump isn't doing so either.
You're right. I have hope he (Trump) won't end it, but can he undermine it? Yes -- and there is broad consensus among many liberals, moderates and conservatives, that yes, the Trump admin has corroded democracy, with the help of an eagerly, willing base. (And I think Obama did too in some limited ways)
I don't have the time now but will try to give a list of reading material from only right-of-center commentators who support this case.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 1:
Robert wrote:Trump has raised military spending, but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world. Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies.

One thing that seems to be bringing the North Koreans to the table is what was about to be deployed to South Korea and the military sales he is making available to the Pacific countries. China was forced to force NK to negotiate since they do not want all that military might on their coast.

What few seem to know is that Trump was planning on deploying nuclear weapons to South Korea and/or Japan. This the Chinese could not accept and have now demanded NK denuclearize.

Seems his desire to have a massive military, yet disdain for nation building may actually bring more peace than all the back handed messing with other governments. Woodrow Wilson force the US out of it's isolationist policies. I see us moving in that general direction. I think this will bring more peace than what has been going on since WW1.

:arrow: So, spending is up, but involvement is going down.

he wants to shut down a lot of US bases in other countries.
He has shown that we do not need boots on the ground to deal with rogue countries that use WMD.
He destroys their abilities while avoiding lost of life.
Interesting strategy. I suspect this will be 21st century war now.
Leaving Syria, talk of leaving Afghanistan.

i doubt this is radical, complete withdrawal, not sure. :-|
reports are big on emotion, whether criticism, or support, lacking in facts.

either way, POTUS is not the war monger emotional pundits predicted, or even continue to claim!

die-hard emotional pundits hang onto the “rhetoric they love.” reality is of less concern.
we’re living the reality now, tho.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

“Trump, Putin discuss nuclear weapons deal, Venezuela”
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... ssia-probe
.. “Had a long and very good conversation with President Putin of Russia. As I have always said, long before the Witch Hunt started, getting along with Russia, China, and everyone is a good thing, not a bad thing,” Trump tweeted Friday after the call. “We discussed Trade, Venezuela, Ukraine, North Korea, Nuclear Arms Control and even the “Russian Hoax.” Very productive talk!”

From the Oval Office on Friday, the president told reporters some of the details of his talks with Putin on a potential nuclear deal.

“We’re talking about a nuclear agreement where we make less, and they make less, and maybe even where we get rid of some of the tremendous firepower we have now,” Trump said. “We’re spending billions of dollars on nuclear weapons. We need that, but we are also ... looking at a three-way deal instead of a two-way deal.”

Trump explained that the U.S. would “probably start something up shortly between Russia and ourselves,” and that “China would be added down the road.” ..
“Trump Discusses Mueller Report, Venezuela in Hour-Long Phone Call With Putin”
https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-dis ... 05568.html

0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

From Page 134
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... start=1330
temporal1 wrote:
Robert wrote: Not really funny, but it makes a good point.

It’s beyond me how these things work, but, somehow, the existence of weapons does not always equate to the USE of weapons ..

As you observed in another thread:
Page 1
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... t=military
Trump has raised military spending, but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world. Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies. .. ..
As long as human hearts seek violence, a way will be found, no matter budget: :(

“Britain's 'pervasive horror of knife crime' reaches record for number of stabbing homicides”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 470942002/

But. Truly, this is not funny. :(

Are more people killed through individual crime than are killed in international wars? :? :?
Chicago’s annual one-on-one fatalities have been compared to Afghanistan. Annual! Chronic!
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 1
Robert wrote:Trump has raised military spending, but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world. Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies.

One thing that seems to be bringing the North Koreans to the table is what was about to be deployed to South Korea and the military sales he is making available to the Pacific countries. China was forced to force NK to negotiate since they do not want all that military might on their coast.

What few seem to know is that Trump was planning on deploying nuclear weapons to South Korea and/or Japan. This the Chinese could not accept and have now demanded NK denuclearize.

Seems his desire to have a massive military, yet disdain for nation building may actually bring more peace than all the back handed messing with other governments. Woodrow Wilson force the US out of it's isolationist policies. I see us moving in that general direction. I think this will bring more peace than what has been going on since WW1.

So, spending is up, but involvement is going down. he wants to shut down a lot of US bases in other countries. He has shown that we do not need boots on the ground to deal with rogue countries that use WMD. He destroys their abilities while avoiding lost of life. Interesting strategy. I suspect this will be 21st century war now.
This Pew Study report reminded me of Robert’s post: ^^

2019 / “The changing profile of the U.S. military:
Smaller in size, more diverse, more women in leadership”
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... -military/

President Trump is wrapping up 4 years in office. Military hell was predicted.
Has any presidential term had less military action/conflict? :?

“Asking for a friend.” :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 30 / Good things ..
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=290
Josh wrote:Trump has managed not to start more wars and send more US troops to foreign locations to fight more wars. Something no President since Carter was able to do.

Much like Nixon, an anti-war President finds a huge establishment trying to get rid of him. They depend on permanent war to keep themselves rich and powerful.
This is the closest response to my question above and in the “military spending” thread. Here, or anywhere else. That, plus. Thanks.

Your references to Carter, Nixon, and the “permanent war” politicians are exquisite.

Lift the veil on the real “why” 4 years of never trumping. :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Career politicians and the Defense Budget:

”House approves defense bill with veto-proof margin”
The 335-78 vote in favor of the defense measure came hours after Trump renewed his threat to veto the bill unless lawmakers clamp down on social media companies he claims were biased against him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... n-n1250469
.. The dispute over social media content — a battle cry of conservatives who say the social media giants treat them unfairly — interjects an unrelated but complicated issue

:arrow: into a bill that Congress takes pride in having passed unfailingly for nearly 60 years. ..
career politicians can be relied on for something: MIC
.. “We stand with the president,'' said Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., the group's chairman.
"This particular NDAA bill is filled with flaws and problems,''
:arrow: including limitations on troop withdrawals ordered by Trump in Afghanistan and Germany, Biggs said. ..
a minor note in the report.

SECTION 230:
.. Trump tweeted Tuesday that he will veto "the very weak National Defense Authorization Act,'' or NDAA, unless it repeals so-called Section 230, a part of the communications code that shields Twitter, Facebook and other tech giants from content liability. ..

.. “I agree with his sentiments — we ought to do away with 230,” Inhofe told reporters. ..

.. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Trump's attempt to pressure Congress on Section 230 was justified.

“Twitter has become a publisher, choosing to fact-check content,” she said. “And when you’re a publisher, there are certain responsibilities with that and you should not be immune from liability.” ..

.. Trump’s allies on Capitol Hill, including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, have railed against the social media companies, especially during the heated November election. McCarthy, R-Calif., voted for the bill Tuesday but said he would not support overriding the veto.

Some Democrats, including Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, agree the Section 230 provision could be revisited, even as they disagree with Trump’s tactic of attaching it to the defense bill. ..
i dislike bundling law, using Trojan horse-like tactics to “shoehorn” unrelated, often unwanted legislation. over decades it’s become LAWMAKING 101, i believe Dems are “the masters” of the game.
.. Smith and Thornberry said in a joint statement last week that lawmakers had "toiled through almost 2,200 provisions to reach compromise on important issues affecting our national security and our military.” ..
out of 2,200 provisions, how do reporters determine which few to cherry-pick to feature in airwaves?? i have a hunch there are more pressing items of interest to citizens than those few featured. :shock:

most reports are so poorly written, a mish-mash of a few facts, partisan bias, etc., they shouldn’t be misunderstood to be anything-near a worthwhile overview.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

”Congress overrides Trump veto for the first time” / Defense bill
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/532 ... -ndaa-veto
.. The president warned for months that he would veto the defense bill, which will now become law for the 60th year in a row, over language included in both the initial House and Senate bills requiring the Pentagon to change the names of Confederate-named military bases and installations.

:arrow: As it became increasingly clear that Congress was moving forward with the bill, Trump also lashed out at the legislation because it did not include a repeal of Section 230,
a legal shield for tech companies, which GOP lawmakers argued was not related to the defense bill.

:arrow: Trump's veto statement also took aim at other parts of the legislation, including restrictions on his ability to remove troops from Afghanistan and Germany. .. ..
Overrides happen:
.. Including Friday, Congress has overridden 112 vetoes throughout U.S. history.
The last time a president's veto was overridden was in September 2016 when then-President Obama opposed a bill allowing families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia.

Trump is the first president to get a veto overridden during his first four years since President Clinton.
Robert posted regarding Section 230:
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 03#p111803

There is no way to know what would have followed if Section 230 was removed from this Defense bill. i’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have “just gone away.”

i’m not happy with Congress’ stinky habit of bundling unwanted law into wanted law.
This has become rotten Standard Operating Procedure for leveraging across the board.

Unrelated bills should be addressed openly+separately, not “packaged” and sneaked in, in underhanded ways.

Very sad about thwarting Trump’s effort to remove troops from Afghanistan and Germany. :-|
The MIC is set to return to its preferred position with career politicians.

The vast majority of content in this bill, with 2200 provisions, is not mentioned in news.
How many “representatives” read the entire bill? Any? :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Big picture? Defense spending has been declining over time

But it is still way too high

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

May 2018 / Page 1
Robert wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 am Trump has raised military spending,
:arrow: but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world.
Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies.

So, spending is up, but involvement is going down.
he wants to shut down a lot of US bases in other countries. He has shown that we do not need boots on the ground to deal with rogue countries that use WMD. He destroys their abilities while avoiding lost of life. Interesting strategy. I suspect this will be 21st century war now.

Feb 27, 2021 / Moving on to the (eager) current admin:

Politically, why is U.S. bombing Syria?
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3637
Robert wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am Syria, who is a puppet to Russia will not allow a gas pipeline to go through to Europe so Europe has to buy gas and oil from Russia.

Biden is bombing them to get the pipeline in.
They stop the pipelines in the US, but bomb Syria to get them through. :shock:

Now they will claim other reasons, but this is what I am hearing is really underneath the reasons why Obama started this.
Biden is just following through.
post-haste.
0 x

UNKNOWN