Trump cutting military spending?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Trump cutting military spending?

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:It’s pretty obvious there’s nothing Trump could do that would be good enough, in your eyes. Broker a Korean Peninsula Peace deal? Not good enough.
Josh, none of these things have happened yet. That's not some hyper-partisan statement.

If he brokers a Korean peace deal we'll have something to talk about. I think I'll give him credit for his accomplishments once they are accomplished.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:Josh, none of these things have happened yet. That's not some hyper-partisan statement.

If he brokers a Korean peace deal we'll have something to talk about. I think I'll give him credit for his accomplishments once they are accomplished.
Can you at least acknowledge he hasn't started a new war or invaded a new country in 2 years in office?

Prior presidents consistently failed at that, including your peace Messiah Obama.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Josh, none of these things have happened yet. That's not some hyper-partisan statement.

Can you at least acknowledge he hasn't started a new war or invaded a new country in 2 years in office?
Certainly. And I hope that continues.
Josh wrote:Prior presidents consistently failed at that, including your peace Messiah Obama.
I don't think Obama was a "peace messiah". I wouldn't defend Obama's policy on Syria, I think both Obama and Trump have handled Syria badly, and that's one of the most serious crises we have right now. Would you claim that Trump has been creating peace in Syria?

Seriously, I would appreciate it if you would discuss the topic itself instead of making up claims about me. I have not claimed that Trump is your Messiah or questioned your judgement or character. But I would like to be able to discuss the topic of each thread without a lot of distracting emotional flak.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:Trump has raised military spending, but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world. Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies.

One thing that seems to be bringing the North Koreans to the table is what was about to be deployed to South Korea and the military sales he is making available to the Pacific countries. China was forced to force NK to negotiate since they do not want all that military might on their coast.

What few seem to know is that Trump was planning on deploying nuclear weapons to South Korea and/or Japan. This the Chinese could not accept and have now demanded NK denuclearize.

Seems his desire to have a massive military, yet disdain for nation building may actually bring more peace than all the back handed messing with other governments. Woodrow Wilson force the US out of it's isolationist policies. I see us moving in that general direction. I think this will bring more peace than what has been going on since WW1.

So, spending is up, but involvement is going down. he wants to shut down a lot of US bases in other countries. He has shown that we do not need boots on the ground to deal with rogue countries that use WMD. He destroys their abilities while avoiding lost of life. Interesting strategy. I suspect this will be 21st century war now.
This is my understanding of the situation. I find it interesting in how Trump's efforts brought North Korea to the table for denuclearization. All of Trump's adversaries kept swearing that he would start a devastating war. Yet Trump is two for two in de-escalating two of the world's hotspots, bringing the possibility of peace, for how long we do not know. Still there is a respite for now. I keep thinking of that famous monologue:
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
"As You Like It"
Act 2 Scene 7
William Shakespeare
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:I don't think Obama was a "peace messiah". I wouldn't defend Obama's policy on Syria, I think both Obama and Trump have handled Syria badly, and that's one of the most serious crises we have right now. Would you claim that Trump has been creating peace in Syria?
Trump's consistently kept the situation in Syria from escalating. Of course, Russia is the current ally with Syria, so if Trump doesn't do anything, he'll just get further accused (by people like you) of being paid off by the Russians.

It's pretty tiresome, Boot, when you pick a public figure and decide they can never do anything right.

For what it's worth, I had the same attitude about Obama during his reign when dealing with right-wing people who were pretty much convinced all Christians were going to get rounded up and put in camps. You need to take a step back and realise you are doing the exact same thing. Obama didn't end democracy in America and Trump isn't doing so either.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Bootstrap wrote:I don't think Obama was a "peace messiah". I wouldn't defend Obama's policy on Syria, I think both Obama and Trump have handled Syria badly, and that's one of the most serious crises we have right now. Would you claim that Trump has been creating peace in Syria?

Seriously, I would appreciate it if you would discuss the topic itself instead of making up claims about me. I have not claimed that Trump is your Messiah or questioned your judgement or character. But I would like to be able to discuss the topic of each thread without a lot of distracting emotional flak.
OK, I'm about to give up. Maybe Trump is indeed your Messiah. Maybe you won't treat me like a normal human being unless I bow down and claim Trump has established world peace.

I'm not saying the things you are putting into my mouth. I do think I give Trump credit for things I think are good, like the corporate income tax reduction. If he establishes peace on the Korean peninsula, I will give him credit for that too. I think your responses to me have something to do with your feelings about Trump.

What I notice is this: you are getting extremely personal, loosely throwing accusations around, and creating a flakstorm that makes it hard to discuss the topic itself.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

SS Mike Pompeo returns with 3 North Korean “guests”/detainees
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-kore ... -2018-5-9/

i avoid CBS. but, even CBS is reporting on this.

regarding this thread’s subject line question, from what i gather in this thread, there seems to be agreement “military spending” has not been cut.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:regarding this thread’s subject line question, from what i gather in this thread, there seems to be agreement “military spending” has not been cut.
And cutting military spending is an odd metric; right before WWI and WWII, military spending was slashed. That didn't stop us from becoming embroiled in really bad conflicts.

In the converse, military spending was very high in the Cold War on both sides. Yet the Cold War ended peacefully.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

A few thoughts on Korea.

I think Kim, Moon, and Trump all deserve credit for agreeing to get together and talk. I think Trump deserves credit for picking Pompeo, who seems to be doing an excellent job. I'm very glad to see three hostages freed. I really don't know who gets how much credit for what - that depends a lot on things that I simply don't know, and I also think that North Korea is very difficult to understand.

I also don't know how to assess where we are at. I suspect that the summit is the start of negotiations, not the end. This kind of negotiation is not instant, and I really don't think I can predict what will come of it.

As Christians, I think this is a great thing to be praying about. Let's all pray that we'll have developments to give Kim, Moon, and Trump credit for.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

0 x