The Christian and Political News

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

The Christian and Political News

Post by cmbl »

Should Christians who do not vote follow political news?

My observations:
Some two-kingdom Christians around me are informed about politics - typically from politically conservative sources. There seems to be more political interest/discussion in the younger men than the older.

My current thoughts:
I've heard people saying we should be informed. What I've not heard is why we should be informed: I've not heard a rationale for why non-resistant people should be consuming political news. I don't think we should.

I have heard and accept a reason to be informed about who is in power at the state level - it has to do with state education requirements and the Christian Day School. I do not think this rationale supports following political news, especially about national politics. That seems to me like driving a truck through a chink in the fence.

I'm interested in the thoughts of people who do not vote (Positions 1 and 2 in Dan Z's POLL.)
- Should we be informed about politics? If so, why? (Provide a rationale beyond just...being informed about things is better.)
- If you provide a rationale, what are its limits? What involvement with political news does it not authorize, if any?
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: The Christian and Political News

Post by lesterb »

cmbl wrote:Should Christians who do not vote follow political news?

My observations:
Some two-kingdom Christians around me are informed about politics - typically from politically conservative sources. There seems to be more political interest/discussion in the younger men than the older.

My current thoughts:
I've heard people saying we should be informed. What I've not heard is why we should be informed: I've not heard a rationale for why non-resistant people should be consuming political news. I don't think we should.

I have heard and accept a reason to be informed about who is in power at the state level - it has to do with state education requirements and the Christian Day School. I do not think this rationale supports following political news, especially about national politics. That seems to me like driving a truck through a chink in the fence.

I'm interested in the thoughts of people who do not vote (Positions 1 and 2 in Dan Z's POLL.)
- Should we be informed about politics? If so, why? (Provide a rationale beyond just...being informed about things is better.)
- If you provide a rationale, what are its limits? What involvement with political news does it not authorize, if any?
I think its good to know what is going on in the world. It helps you to tune in on the concerns your neighbors are facing. And it can give you a good start on a conversation with them. Plus it helps to keep you from looking ignorant.

You can isolate yourself to the point that you are no longer credible.

Plus you can pray more realistically.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I agree with the OP. It seems that some non-voters are more "in the know" of politics than some who do vote.
And it's the 21st centrury. Anything of grave importance will spread like wildfire, so I'm not worried about missing anything. In fact, I'd rather not have to sort through all the wretched material to find the real news.

I disagree with the idea that keeping up with news has any correlation with realistic prayer.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:I think its good to know what is going on in the world. It helps you to tune in on the concerns your neighbors are facing. And it can give you a good start on a conversation with them. Plus it helps to keep you from looking ignorant.

You can isolate yourself to the point that you are no longer credible.

Plus you can pray more realistically.
X2. It's important to know about issues needing prayer such as the persecution of Christians in the Middle East, moral and ethical challenges facing our neighbors, etc.

That said, it's also important to maintain balance: don't let the news world and internet consume too much of our time. I see people in the campgrounds who never get off their computers and smartphones. They ignore family and friends.

We can know generally what's happening and even follow some specifics that impact our jobs. However we should take care to avoid becoming obsessed or addicted to it. Balance through awareness of our personal limits is key.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God