From my cold, dead hands

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: From my cold, dead hands

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Josh wrote:Bootstrap seems to want Americans to be Canadians, or wants all Americans to think like urban coastal elites in NYC and California.

I don’t think we need to turn the red states in America into Canada. Let’s let Americans have their political beliefs and instead focus on building Jesus’ kingdom.
And when the political beliefs clash with Jesus' kingdom, which are you going to support?
As I keep saying over and over, I don’t vote and I think support of any of the political factions available to support in America conflicts with Christian values.

But I don’t think Canadian values or American values are inherently better than the other.
Then why are you still supporting the gun rights lobby?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I could as well ask “Why are you supporting the anti-gun lobby?” I happen to agree with some (but not all) of their perspectives.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Bootstrap seems to want Americans to be Canadians, or wants all Americans to think like urban coastal elites in NYC and California.

I don’t think we need to turn the red states in America into Canada. Let’s let Americans have their political beliefs and instead focus on building Jesus’ kingdom.
You didn't answer any of the questions in the OP. You made an emotional claim about me instead. That doesn't really help the conversation. Could you try again?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I could as well ask “Why are you supporting the anti-gun lobby?” I happen to agree with some (but not all) of their perspectives.
Do you agree with some of the things Hesston said in the the video in the OP? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert, I agree that due process is important (and I said so in the Trump thread). What did you think of the things said in the OP? Do you agree with any of the things Hesston said? If so, which ones? Do you have any response to the questions I asked?
Robert wrote:[video][/video]
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:I could as well ask “Why are you supporting the anti-gun lobby?” I happen to agree with some (but not all) of their perspectives.
Do you agree with some of the things Hesston said in the the video in the OP? If so, which ones? If not, why not?
Charlton Hesston, hmmm...wasn't he Moses at some point, or what am I thinking of?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
Boot, that’s not how things work. I don’t see any point to a life lived that is not a kingdom Christian life and opinions/debates about how best to live a fundamentally godless life is like talking about how best to arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.

My approach and way of thinking about things is so different than Hesston’s that I wouldn’t even know where to start. I do agree that I don’t think 100% of power should reside in the hands of a powerful state, and I’m honestly surprised you do, but you seem to really strongly believe in American exceptionalism and that American democracy will last forever and always guarantee a free, open society. I do not believe these things.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

silentreader wrote: Charlton Hesston, hmmm...wasn't he Moses at some point, or what am I thinking of?
that was Charlton Heston
https://theiapolis.com/movie-20AU/the-t ... moses.html
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
Boot, that’s not how things work. I don’t see any point to a life lived that is not a kingdom Christian life and opinions/debates about how best to live a fundamentally godless life is like talking about how best to arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.

My approach and way of thinking about things is so different than Hesston’s that I wouldn’t even know where to start.
It really would be helpful if you can tell us what you think in this thread.
Josh wrote:I do agree that I don’t think 100% of power should reside in the hands of a powerful state,
OK, how does that relate to guns and the kinds of things said in the OP? How do you think guns is related to the power of the state?
Josh wrote:and I’m honestly surprised you do,
I'm surprised I do too. I thought I didn't. But you know, maybe it would work better if I say what I believe and you say what you believe. I think we are each more expert on our own beliefs than we are on the other's.
Josh wrote: but you seem to really strongly believe in American exceptionalism and that American democracy will last forever and always guarantee a free, open society. I do not believe these things.
I gather the topic of this thread bothers you, because you keep deflecting from the questions it asks and trying to put me on the defensive. I'm not going to take that bait. We can discuss these other topics later if you want to understand what I actually believe on these other topics, but I'd like to stick with this topic for now.

Anything else you want to tell us about your own feelings about the claim made in the OP?
0 x