Billy Graham dies

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Billy Graham dies

Post by Bootstrap »

Billy Graham just died, he was 99 years old. I have always respected him as a man of integrity who did a great deal to promote the Gospel.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Billy Graham dies

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:Billy Graham just died, he was 99 years old. I have always respected him as a man of integrity who did a great deal to promote the Gospel.
Oh, I have the utmost respect for him, always have- I am sorry to hear of the loss of this devout Christian man who will be in the presence of the Lord and many souls who Billy was used to lead to Christ- I hadn't heard about this yet, thank you for sharing.

Heaven rejoices. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints (Psalm 116:15)

We visited his library years ago- it was so wonderful- I truly sensed the presence of the Lord was in that place- besides Churches, I don't recall sensing that in other places but on a rare occasion.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:Billy Graham just died, he was 99 years old. I have always respected him as a man of integrity who did a great deal to promote the Gospel.
When I think of Billy, I think of some of the stories he used in his messages, like the rich young ruler and the prodigal son. And compared to some big name evangelists today, Billy lived a fairly simple life. Cliff Barrows and George Beverly Shea also come to mind and of course, the hymn 'Just as I am'.

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need in Thee to find,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Hath broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

A remarkable servant of God, Billy Graham worked tirelessly to spread the Gospel and preached Jesus to millions around the globe. He will be missed. He was a very close friend of Pope John Paul II. They both were shining beacons in our broken world.
Eternal rest grant unto Billy Graham, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

"Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."
-Billy Graham

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

buckeyematt2 wrote:"Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."
-Billy Graham

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7
Amen and amen!
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is an article that shows some of the weaknesses and strengths of this man. Graham started CT so that is probably how they can call him "humble" and yet talk about ways that seem the opposite.
The author is likely Evangelical so he doesn't necessarily identify some of the weaknesses as weaknesses.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... anity.html

Is this article perhaps more fair or is it too vilifying???
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/ ... heologian/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Ernie wrote:Here is an article that shows some of the weaknesses and strengths of this man. Graham started CT so that is probably how they can call him "humble" and yet talk about ways that seem the opposite.
The author is likely Evangelical so he doesn't necessarily identify some of the weaknesses as weaknesses.

In many ways the reaction to Billy Graham's death is similar to the reaction to the death of Agnes Bojaxhiu ("Mother" Theresa). It is not polite in American society to speak ill of popular religious figures, and so "we" will all avoid any critical analysis of the actual message and "theology" behind Billy Graham's life work.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:Here is an article that shows some of the weaknesses and strengths of this man. Graham started CT so that is probably how they can call him "humble" and yet talk about ways that seem the opposite.

Paul the Apostle had his weaknesses as did Peter. In fact they're noted in the Bible. Personally, I like to think that Billy Graham did much to get that simple message of salvation to the world. He went to China and Russia when those countries were/are hostile to religion and for that, he earns my respect. He was willing to do what others did not to bring the message of God's salvation to those who haven't heard it. I don't think it takes a great theologian or Scripture scholar to say that God so loved us, He sent His only Son to die on the cross for us.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wayne in Maine wrote:

In many ways the reaction to Billy Graham's death is similar to the reaction to the death of Agnes Bojaxhiu ("Mother" Theresa). It is not polite in American society to speak ill of popular religious figures, and so "we" will all avoid any critical analysis of the actual message and "theology" behind Billy Graham's life work.
i would add MLK Jr firmly to that list, and, i agree with you.
they become sacred cows, whether they wanted to, or not. others who did not want this would be Martin Luther and Menno Simons. a human fail.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN