Trump supports efforts to improve gun background checks

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Trump supports efforts to improve gun background checks

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:But the airline might not let me bring the Morakniv ...
Not quite sure about Canadian regulations, but it would be allowed in Czech luggage.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:But the airline might not let me bring the Morakniv ...
Not quite sure about Canadian regulations, but it would be allowed in Czech luggage.
But we don't like when you try to bring in carrion.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:But we don't like when you try to bring in carrion.
That's why falcons don't use commercial airlines. They are only allowed two pieces of carrion.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:But we don't like when you try to bring in carrion.
That's why falcons don't use commercial airlines. They are only allowed two pieces of carrion.
And it must be properly raptor it will be refused.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:are you going camping with survivalists? or, to protest them? missions?
what are they interested in surviving?
I don't know that much about this particular group. They do open-carry, they seem a lot less extreme than some groups I have encountered, a lot of them seem to be members of a prepper group too.

I enjoy being outside and like to learn outdoor skills. I used to backpack a lot, I still do a lot of trail running in remote areas. I certainly don't plan to protest them, I do want to learn about them. Missions are always on my mind wherever I go, but not any more so for this group than anyone else.
It was a really fun weekend, more like Boy Scouts for adults than anything else. We learned some simple bushcraft skills - making fire without matches, making a debris hut to survive if you don't have any tools, etc - but mostly hung out around the campfire in between classes. I went for one long trail run on Saturday, but was mostly sedentary. I'm not sure how many people had guns, there was more concealed carry than open carry. Plenty of people drank around the campfire, but nobody got visibly drunk, and people kept an eye on each other.

Turns out it was a great time to talk to several people about spiritual things, and to have some really intense discussions with a Christian couple who were struggling with some difficulties.

I had planned to stay away from any political discussion, but this was a very respectful, friendly group, and we had an in-depth discussion of guns and gun policy. I had quite a few discussions later with a man who is an NRA member and owns a lot of guns (I asked if he had more than 20, he said yes, but didn't want to give a number). He showed me how to field-strip a semi-automatic pistol (some kind of Ruger 45, I don't remember the model number). Not a skill I'm likely to need, but it was interesting.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: And let's face it, if you wanted to fight the Federal Government, an AR-15 wouldn't do it for you.
My thinking is that the AR would only be the beginning, and they would possibly get more powerful weapons from military bases. It's hard for me to imagine any kind of armed group successfully overthrowing the Federal government. But who knows? If a large majority of the population supported them and other countries assisted I suppose anything is possible.

But they certainly wouldn't have a chance without ARs. I see the AK-47 currently quite effective and popular in rebellions around the globe
.. this becomes seriously academic/secular thinking.
Christians have accounts like David and Goliath to draw on .. there is adequate proof in history that the littler guy doesn’t always lose. only on paper in remote pretend worlds of human reasoning.

God intervenes, He owns the last word. :)
.. regarding “certain” outcomes.
Italy: 1 priest on a fold-up bicycle - 8-)

8 min version

this world would be so empty, dull, hopeless, if academia/human reasoning actually ruled.
they serve a good purpose, but no greater purpose, than any others of God’s creation.
Truth is not theirs alone to control, or distribute, as they deem fit.

there’s always that one, on a humble fold-up bike ..
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

bootstrap wrote:And let's face it, if you wanted to fight the Federal Government, an AR-15 wouldn't do it for you.
temporal1 wrote: .. regarding “certain” outcomes.
1 priest on a fold-up bicycle - 8-)
But I don't think a bunch of militias with AR-15s would be God's army in this case. I don't think God calls us to armed rebellion against a democratic government where we can effect change by voting. One of the interesting conversations we had at the Bushcraft weekend: I said something about how the NRA had changed from the early 1970s until today, and several people we had been or still were NRA members started talking about this energetically, talking about the Revolt at Cincinnati in 1977, and one member said he writes to the NRA about 5 times a year to protest what they are doing.

The word "tactical" kept coming up. These gun owners said the right to have arms at home for self-defense was fundamental, and they also wanted people with sufficient extra training to be able to carry outside their homes, but several people spoke emphatically against whole tactical emphasis of the modern NRA, and nobody spoke in favor of it. One man talked about how school shooters often dress like soldiers going to battle and said he saw a relationship. I'm not claiming that this small group is representative of all gun owners, I'm only saying what I heard this weekend.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote: this world would be so empty, dull, hopeless, if academia/human reasoning actually ruled.
they serve a good purpose, but no greater purpose, than any others of God’s creation.

I feel like you say this kind of thing several times a day. I really don't think I'm better than you. Why not just talk? I agree that I'm not in control of truth, so if you have truth to share that is relevant to the subject, please share it. And if you are responding to something I am saying, please just respond. No need to tell me what you think of me each time.

I do think it's important to question the "facts" that we find in the media and on the Internet. That goes both ways, I hope we all do that.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote: this world would be so empty, dull, hopeless, if academia/human reasoning actually ruled.

I feel like you say this kind of thing several times a day. I really don't think I'm better than you. Why not just talk? I agree that I'm not in control of truth, so if you have truth to share that is relevant to the subject, please share it.

I do think it's important to question the "facts" that we find in the media and on the Internet. That goes both ways, I hope we all do that.
i’m not talking to you anymore than i’m talking to myself.
if i repeat, which i may, i repeat to myself - something which i find exquisite and true, that astounds me.

you love quantified charts+graphs, i love the unknown quantity that God holds for us.
c’est la vie :)

i hope you can, at least, enjoy the bicycle ride.
i smiled, all through, i watched it a few times. lol

it brought back memories of being a young teen with my sister and girlfriends.
we were allowed to do some bicycling .. i’m not sure we were allowed to go “all the way” to the local university farm roads, St Mary’s Road, unpaved, with a bit of a hill! - on the prairie, we do not take hills for granted.

i was the oldest, by slightly, and a bit heavier. no one could understand how i won EVERY downhill race!
when, otherwise, i was not an athlete. i participated, never a stand-out!
our used bikes were all about the same.

sailing down the dirt roads, i laughed to myself, suspecting my one advantage (they never seemed to think of) - my weight!

like this priest, i used my weight, and cunning, to prevail! :lol:
o.the skinned knees and elbows.
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:you love quantified charts+graphs, i love the unknown quantity that God holds for us.
c’est la vie :)
I like both. I don't see a contradiction. But I don't think that has much to do with the topic of this thread. Could we please stick with the topic? Perhaps you could start a thread for priests and bicycles?

My last few posts have been about conversations I had with NRA members at a Bushcraft weekend. No charts and graphs involved.
0 x