PJ Media article: 30 years ago, guns were in schools...and nothing happened

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

PJ Media article: 30 years ago, guns were in schools...and nothing happened

Post by MattY »

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/fla ... pened/amp/
The millennial generation might be surprised to learn that theirs is the first without guns in school. Just 30 years ago, high school kids rode the bus with rifles and shot their guns at high school rifle ranges.

After another school shooting, it's time to ask: what changed?
The answer would seem to be cultural and moral decay.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: PJ Media article: 30 years ago, guns were in schools...and nothing happened

Post by Bootstrap »

I am having a hard time making sense of this article. Consider this paragraph:
The millennial generation might be surprised to learn that theirs is the first without guns in school. Just 30 years ago, high school kids rode the bus with rifles and shot their guns at high school rifle ranges.
I went to high school from 1972 to 1976, and from what I remember, the main settings where people had guns at schools were JROTC training, where many schools had shooting ranges and still do. The JROTC programs are a major recruiting tool for the military, and the coolness factor of being able to shoot guns has always been a big draw. Is that what the article is talking about? I couldn't tell, but they do have shooting ranges at quite a few schools, and have fore a long time. The article sounded like kids just carried guns with them on the school bus and wherever they wanted to in school, and that's simply not true of any school I heard of. It also sounded like these shooting ranges no longer exist, and that's not true either. My neighbor is in the JROTC. And like so many articles, they have pictures but nothing I can use to verify their claims.

The Florida shooter was part of a high school rifle team that got an NRA grant. But they used air rifles now, not AR-15s, and the people who run these programs are very careful about who has access to the guns when. Always have been.

I'm trying to imagine a mass shooting with an air rifle or a .22. I think that would be hard to do.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

buckeyematt2 wrote:The answer would seem to be cultural and moral decay.
Are you suggesting that there weren't violent and immoral people 30 years ago who might want to commit atrocities? That's not a new thing. And it only takes one to commit an atrocity.

Suppose we had open carry and shooting ranges in high schools, and anyone was allowed to have an AR-15. Suppose there are some disturbed kids in these schools. I suspect that would be a problem.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

The only time I can recall a student having a gun at school was in the 7th grade, when a classmate of mine brought a colt 45 in his lunch pail. That didn't go over any better than the time his thermos was full of whiskey. (I graduated in 1974, Owasso, Oklahoma.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

My guess is that such an abundance of competitive games played on electric devices that kill and destroy to win, has had some impact over the years to sheer the conscience on killing things and people. I don't think one can play games involving destruction for extended periods of time and not have it affect one's brain regarding the seriousness of taking life.

What we fill our minds with even if it be in a make believe world, imo, has it's impact. Some can maybe separate this world from the real world but others may not be able to.

How much impact this might be having, who knows. But we might be reaping what has been sowed over recent years.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I agree, Sudsy. It's not just the guns, it's also the whole culture of fear and hostility and the whole obsession with guns, which play a central role in a huge percent of our movies and television shows and games.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote:I am having a hard time making sense of this article. Consider this paragraph:
I went to high school from 1972 to 1976, and from what I remember, the main settings where people had guns at schools were JROTC training, where many schools had shooting ranges and still do. The JROTC programs are a major recruiting tool for the military, and the coolness factor of being able to shoot guns has always been a big draw. Is that what the article is talking about? I couldn't tell, but they do have shooting ranges at quite a few schools, and have fore a long time. The article sounded like kids just carried guns with them on the school bus and wherever they wanted to in school, and that's simply not true of any school I heard of. It also sounded like these shooting ranges no longer exist, and that's not true either. My neighbor is in the JROTC. And like so many articles, they have pictures but nothing I can use to verify their claims.

The Florida shooter was part of a high school rifle team that got an NRA grant. But they used air rifles now, not AR-15s, and the people who run these programs are very careful about who has access to the guns when. Always have been.

I'm trying to imagine a mass shooting with an air rifle or a .22. I think that would be hard to do.
Not in my district. Most deadly thing we had was the gals doing archery.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote: The JROTC programs are a major recruiting tool for the military, and the coolness factor of being able to shoot guns has always been a big draw.
You are not only kidding, mostly for enlisted men. They promise kids the moon, and hand them enlistment contracts that nullify all of their promises. My daughter got under their skin by loudly and publicly pointing that out.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: The JROTC programs are a major recruiting tool for the military, and the coolness factor of being able to shoot guns has always been a big draw.
You are not only kidding, mostly for enlisted men. They promise kids the moon, and hand them enlistment contracts that nullify all of their promises. My daughter got under their skin by loudly and publicly pointing that out.
In my high school, we all took the military aptitude tests. It was pretty lonely being the only person who did not say the Pledge of Allegiance ...
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:My guess is that such an abundance of competitive games played on electric devices that kill and destroy to win, has had some impact over the years to sheer the conscience on killing things and people. I don't think one can play games involving destruction for extended periods of time and not have it affect one's brain regarding the seriousness of taking life.

What we fill our minds with even if it be in a make believe world, imo, has it's impact. Some can maybe separate this world from the real world but others may not be able to.

How much impact this might be having, who knows. But we might be reaping what has been sowed over recent years.
Actually we do now know. Long range research studies have repeatedly shown that violent video games desensitize the players to the horrors of violence.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God