How to reduce Medicare spending

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: How to reduce Medicare spending

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
My mother is thrilled with her Medicare and it seems to have improved for her.
She had $0 out of pocket plus is given an amount every month that she can use to get things such as vitamins for free!
California? .. i think states vary, possibly by quite a lot? CA is known for “free stuff.” :lol:
this sounds-like a MEDICARE ADVANTAGE plan, i’m trying one this year.
if her income is low enough, it might be MEDICAID (?) ..

if MEDICARE, she would be paying ($135/mo or so) automatically deducted from her Soc Security.
(it’s easy to forget this.) if it’s not MED ADV, she would also pay a deductible each year (about $200?) ..
there are so many twists, it’s not easy to compare apples with apples.

Medicare requires the $135/mo auto-pay from Soc Sec, AND, the Med Gap can’t be avoided, either, no matter what form of supplemental coverage is chosen.

however! - :D
Not $0, i now pay $48/mo., mostly because of time spent with my out of state family, so, i would use POS (Point of Service) doctors, if needed. (if i continued with Plans G+D, i would be paying about $175/mo., plus the other obligations).

i must SAVE this money; in case of med problems, you need reserves for deductibles of $3-6,000.
for me, this is a serious unknown, but, i’m giving it my best try. yes! it would be a big help if it could be a true savings/extra money, but, that could be disastrous, “in the event.”

there are so many details to consider, not all readily available.
it’s a headache. i WAS looking forward to Medicare. but, i’ve found it expensive+confusing.

this plan allows $200 for dental. there’s an allowance for a gym membership. there are a few “extras” like that. i haven’t heard anything about vitamins. i do not know.
Valerie:
My husband is on Medicare & chose Humana- so his Dr. Co-pay is $15 (half of mine, with my health insurance plan which I have an around deducted from my paychecks) and his transplant prescriptions are less than they used to be. It has caused me too almost look forward to Medicare.
i’m keeping a list of all expenses this year. at the end of the year, i’ll try to judge if this was a good decision. i hope so.
Valerie:
Being a cashier in a drugstore I've had customers declare "Trump is going to cut Medicare" & they seem fearful.
Medicare scare tactics have been around for many years. i try to ignore.
if your mother is in CA, Trump hate is strong.**

i was told, in 2020, the (evil) MEDICARE GAP (DOUGHNUT HOLE) will be ended.
this sounds too good to be true! i’ve just started to read about it.
i presume, if it is ended, costs of other things will go up??! i do not know.
Valerie:
Waste seems the biggest issue.
What upsets me is seeing what most people purchase that lead to diseases that leads to higher costs for all. It is sickening how much junk people consume - refuse to give up! Or at least minimize.
It's also amazing to me the junk food the food stamp card will cover!
Gov waste is a BIG problem, on all levels, from humble “welfare moms” to illegals, to big banks and Wall Street.

**One example of strong Trump hate in CA:
Nov 2016, when Trump was elected, i was told, businesses in the CA military products industry were “terrified” of their futures with Trump as POTUS. :shock:

ok. i admit, i totally “laughed out loud” at this. :lol:
i mean, seriously. i somberly advised, “give him 6 months.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote:
Valerie:
My mother is thrilled with her Medicare and it seems to have improved for her.
She had $0 out of pocket plus is given an amount every month that she can use to get things such as vitamins for free!
California? .. i think states vary, possibly by quite a lot? CA is known for “free stuff.” :lol:
this sounds-like a MEDICARE ADVANTAGE plan, i’m trying one this year.
if her income is low enough, it might be MEDICAID (?) ..

if MEDICARE, she would be paying ($135/mo or so) automatically deducted from her Soc Security.
(it’s easy to forget this.) if it’s not MED ADV, she would also pay a deductible each year (about $200?) ..
there are so many twists, it’s not easy to compare apples with apples.

Medicare requires the $135/mo auto-pay from Soc Sec, AND, the Med Gap can’t be avoided, either, no matter what form of supplemental coverage is chosen.

however! - :D
Not $0, i now pay $48/mo., mostly because of time spent with my out of state family, so, i would use POS (Point of Service) doctors, if needed. (if i continued with Plans G+D, i would be paying about $175/mo., plus the other obligations).

i must SAVE this money; in case of med problems, you need reserves for deductibles of $3-6,000.
for me, this is a serious unknown, but, i’m giving it my best try. yes! it would be a big help if it could be a true savings/extra money, but, that could be disastrous, “in the event.”

there are so many details to consider, not all readily available.
it’s a headache. i WAS looking forward to Medicare. but, i’ve found it expensive+confusing.

this plan allows $200 for dental. there’s an allowance for a gym membership. there are a few “extras” like that. i haven’t heard anything about vitamins. i do not know.
Valerie:
My husband is on Medicare & chose Humana- so his Dr. Co-pay is $15 (half of mine, with my health insurance plan which I have an around deducted from my paychecks) and his transplant prescriptions are less than they used to be. It has caused me too almost look forward to Medicare.
i’m keeping a list of all expenses this year. at the end of the year, i’ll try to judge if this was a good decision. i hope so.
Valerie:
Being a cashier in a drugstore I've had customers declare "Trump is going to cut Medicare" & they seem fearful.
Medicare scare tactics have been around for many years. i try to ignore.
if your mother is in CA, Trump hate is strong.**

i was told, in 2020, the (evil) MEDICARE GAP (DOUGHNUT HOLE) will be ended.
this sounds too good to be true! i’ve just started to read about it.
i presume, if it is ended, costs of other things will go up??! i do not know.
Valerie:
Waste seems the biggest issue.
What upsets me is seeing what most people purchase that lead to diseases that leads to higher costs for all. It is sickening how much junk people consume - refuse to give up! Or at least minimize.
It's also amazing to me the junk food the food stamp card will cover!
Gov waste is a BIG problem, on all levels, from humble “welfare moms” to illegals, to big banks and Wall Street.

**One example of strong Trump hate in CA:
Nov 2016, when Trump was elected, i was told, businesses in the CA military products industry were “terrified” of their futures with Trump as POTUS. :shock:

ok. i admit, i totally “laughed out loud” at this. :lol:
i mean, seriously. i somberly advised, “give him 6 months.”
Sorry for the delay temp-
Okay- Mom said she pays for Medicare out of her social security check (like my husband does)-
The supplemental insurance is what is FREE.
She doesn't qualify for Medicaid because she has a decent savings account (she sold her home & is renting)

Yes CA is liberal & hates Trump- my mom loves President Trump (as compared to alternatives)
She's happy with her insurance- seems like the Lord helps her out in this way and that- her utilities ALL add up to less than $100 a month- everything! She can't believe how low her utilities are. Low cost rental apartment, due to her low income- but they allow you to have a savings & still qualify.

The future looks interesting for insurance- we are on a 'wait & see' position.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:

Okay- Mom said she pays for Medicare out of her social security check (like my husband does)-
She doesn't qualify for Medicaid because she has a decent savings account (she sold her home & is renting)

Yes CA is liberal & hates Trump- my mom loves President Trump (as compared to alternatives)

She's happy with her insurance- seems like the Lord helps her out in this way and that-
her utilities ALL add up to less than $100 a month- everything! She can't believe how low her utilities are.
Low cost rental apartment, due to her low income- but they allow you to have a savings & still qualify.

Thank you. (There was no rush.) :D

i think i’m following what you’re describing.
i have been wondering if i should attempt similar? not an easy question!
for me, it would be to move near family.

i do not know much about what’s involved.
during my last visit, i made an internet inquiry for subsidized housing, at that time, the message was they were not taking applications, their waiting list was 1500+! :shock:

i’m not a WA resident. i suppose i’d have to establish residency?
i own a house, that would have to be sold. i have little idea about proceeds, the market appears slow+down .. ?? i told my daughter, in their location, even if i managed to net proceeds from a sale, it would not last long there! ..

your mother’s experience encourages me.
i presumed, residency, and possible savings, would block, or delay, qualifying. maybe not.

i wish ..
my family would move to a less pricey location.
logistically, it’s possible. my daughter doesn’t want to! she is a millionaire wannabe, i guess she thinks wealth will just rub off on her through osmosis. or her will. ha.

i thought she was such an intelligent child, growing up. o.well. :?

my biggest Medicare problem is diabetes medication. i have struggled to pay for it for ..
3 years? (since insulin.) occasionally, i dream of eliminating all meds! :D
i read what seems like fairy tales of others doing it. :)
i have managed to do some cutting back on meds. but, no change in Medicare costs.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote:
Valerie:

She's happy with her insurance- seems like the Lord helps her out in this way and that-
her utilities ALL add up to less than $100 a month- everything! She can't believe how low her utilities are.
Low cost rental apartment, due to her low income- but they allow you to have a savings & still qualify.

Thank you. (There was no rush.) :D

i think i’m following what you’re describing.
i have been wondering if i should attempt similar? not an easy question!
for me, it would be to move near family.

i do not know much about what’s involved.
during my last visit, i made an internet inquiry for subsidized housing, at that time, the message was they were not taking applications, their waiting list was 1500+! :shock:

i’m not a WA resident. i suppose i’d have to establish residency?
i own a house, that would have to be sold. i have little idea about proceeds, the market appears slow+down .. ?? i told my daughter, in their location, even if i managed to net proceeds from a sale, it would not last long there! ..

your mother’s experience encourages me.
i presumed, residency, and possible savings, would block, or delay, qualifying. maybe not.

i wish ..
my family would move to a less pricey location.
logistically, it’s possible. my daughter doesn’t want to! she is a millionaire wannabe, i guess she thinks wealth will just rub off on her through osmosis. or her will. ha.

i thought she was such an intelligent child, growing up. o.well. :?

my biggest Medicare problem is diabetes medication. i have struggled to pay for it for ..
3 years? (since insulin.) occasionally, i dream of eliminating all meds! :D
i read what seems like fairy tales of others doing it. :)
i have managed to do some cutting back on meds. but, no change in Medicare costs.
I have noticed a lot of seniors are selling their homes & renting. I always thought that was poor stewardship in the past- but-not necessarily!

In my area, senior apartments (55 & over to rent them) are going up and becoming popular. Right by me, there is a low cost apartment complex- it was just completed in late summer. The rent you pay is based on your income (and savings doesn't matter!). My mother in CA, was going to rent one here in OH! It did not matter that she was not an Ohio resident- she completely qualified, them knowing she was a CA resident- HOWEVER, our particularly LONG winter discouraged her and she changed her mind. At 81 she felt it was too much of a change to be stuck indoors that many months :cry:

My mom always recommends people getting their names on waiting lists no matter what- I'm thankful how she guided me that way during my single parent years- long ago.

Regarding diabetes- if you are type 2, isn't there a way this can be reversed? I have heard of some people being able to get off their diabetes meds- maybe not, if you are on insulin. I know type 1 you cannot.
With the supplemental insurance maybe it would help?

WA is an expensive state- I'm sorry that is the case but so is your area.
My area in OH real estate is a sellers market presently- there are not enough homes on the market for buyers who want them- this is rare here- and to a sellers advantage-
It costs nothing to meet with a real estate agent for a listing appointment- usually sellers will interview 3 agents/companies- agents know that so you could at least get a market analysis and get their advice- nothing says you are obligated to sell or sign a contract- you could just 'see how it goes'-pray your way through the process, and see if you sense what the Lord is directing you and guiding you to do- you will have a peace, or lack of- when you seek His counsel & direction, will for your life and plans-

It is not easy making major moves! I understand this- we are going through similar decision making journey with our own future- considering a lot-

May the Lord lead & guide you and order your steps- but- make phone calls- by your daughter, there just may be opportunities that you don't know about-

When I was a single parent, I found out that the very nice/expensive area I lived in, had 10% of their apartments allocated for people with low incomes- God opened doors for me to help me take care of my children- He is our ever present help in time of need-
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
I have noticed a lot of seniors are selling their homes & renting. I always thought that was poor stewardship in the past- but-not necessarily!
my list of “pros” regarding renting has been winning.
however, Illinois just passed the $15/hour min wage, AND, now increases for teachers’ pay are promoted, i expect approval.

the cost of living will be going up, no way will Soc Sec keep up, or even catch up.
i just saw a chart predicting increases in rents and basics going up quite a bit.
my house has a fixed rate mortgage, no rental has that.
my family’s PNW rental increased $100-200/mo., each year. so, last year, they bought.

i could not cover $100/mo increase even 1 year. then what?

my daughter sometimes counsels me on how living on WA streets (RV, etc.) is a pretty protected endeavor these days. these folks have different rights, it’s illegal to question them or request documents. their word is sufficient. i believe her. i hope i don’t end up there.
i do not feel “it will never happen to me.” :-|
Valerie:
In my area, senior apartments (55 & over to rent them) are going up and becoming popular. Right by me, there is a low cost apartment complex- it was just completed in late summer.

The rent you pay is based on your income (and savings doesn't matter!).

My mother in CA, was going to rent one here in OH!
It did not matter that she was not an Ohio resident- she completely qualified, them knowing she was a CA resident-

HOWEVER, our particularly LONG winter discouraged her and she changed her mind.
At 81 she felt it was too much of a change to be stuck indoors that many months :cry:
i’ve had these question. thank you.
for me, no matter weather, i would prefer to be near my family.
at least that one question is settled. :lol:
Valeri:
My mom always recommends people getting their names on waiting lists no matter what- I'm thankful how she guided me that way during my single parent years- long ago.
i think, good advice.
i was ready to go on the list last summer, they were not accepting new names.
i should check now+then.
Valerie:
Regarding diabetes- if you are type 2, isn't there a way this can be reversed?
I have heard of some people being able to get off their diabetes meds- maybe not, if you are on insulin. I know type 1 you cannot.
With the supplemental insurance maybe it would help?
Type 2. i have learned to control with meds. i know i could do better. i do much better when i’m with family. i’m busy, active, etc., i believe if i were there as routine, i would do even better. all indications point to it. the logistics of getting there are another thing.
Valerie:
WA is an expensive state- I'm sorry that is the case but so is your area.
yes. every indication now is, with Chicago Dems unfettered, we’re about to compete with the west coast on prices and costs, without any of the west coast perks. Chicago does not seem to grasp, the appeal for Illinois was always being a good place to WORK and raise a family, lower cost of living, etc.

Illinois does not have fab weather or geography to draw people, and businesses. You have to recognize your strengths and go with them, not pretend you’re something you’re not. Being the Midwest’s abortion center isn’t going to cut it. (more of the DNC plan.) abortion, gambling, drugs. marvelous. :(
Valerie:
My area in OH real estate is a sellers market presently- there are not enough homes on the market for buyers who want them- this is rare here- and to a sellers advantage-
It costs nothing to meet with a real estate agent for a listing appointment- usually sellers will interview 3 agents/companies- agents know that so you could at least get a market analysis and get their advice- nothing says you are obligated to sell or sign a contract- you could just 'see how it goes'-pray your way through the process, and see if you sense what the Lord is directing you and guiding you to do- you will have a peace, or lack of- when you seek His counsel & direction, will for your life and plans-
our market is reported to be down, inventory up.
increased taxes seem certain with the new DNC gov., Illinois property taxes are already high.
people and business don’t like that.
Valerie:
It is not easy making major moves! I understand this- we are going through similar decision making journey with our own future- considering a lot-

May the Lord lead & guide you and order your steps- but- make phone calls- by your daughter, there just may be opportunities that you don't know about-
thank you, and, i agree. “being there” can open unforeseen doors. i believe that.
Valerie:
When I was a single parent, I found out that the very nice/expensive area I lived in, had 10% of their apartments allocated for people with low incomes-
God opened doors for me to help me take care of my children-
He is our ever present help in time of need-
yes. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN