Deficits

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Deficits

Post by Bootstrap »

Do the deficits in the Trump budget concern you? Why or not? If they do, how much do they concern you? Are there particular spending increases that you would question?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Deficits

Post by Josh »

How much Trump concerns you concerns me.

Since we have a debt based fiat money system, it seems we are doomed to have budget deficits forever - at least if we want a “growing economy”. We seem to have lost any will to ever put a permanent stop to this.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I've been concerned about deficits ever since I started voting, it's one of the things I talked about on MD quite a bit when Obama was president. This is something that really does concern me about Trump - to me, fiscal responsibility is one of the core values of traditional Republicans, and something I want to see in government.

And it's something Donald Trump talked about too when he was campaigning:
DT: We’re not a rich country. We’re a debtor nation. We’ve got to get rid of — I talked about bubble. We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt.

BW: How long would that take?

DT: I think I could do it fairly quickly, because of the fact the numbers . . . .

BW: What’s fairly quickly?

DT: Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I’ll tell you why.
Was he right? Is it important to get rid of the debt? Does his budget steer us in that direction? I don't expect the debt to disappear in eight years, but shouldn't we be paying the debt down, spending less than we get in taxes?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Bootstrap wrote:Do the deficits in the Trump budget concern you? Why or not? If they do, how much do they concern you? Are there particular spending increases that you would question?
My question is: Where does the money come from? Who do they borrow it from, and where do they get it from? Is this a case of debits and credits on a computer, with banks building up paper assets?

I've read already that China owns a lot of the US debt. Is that true? Who actually owns the US?

No one really seems to care about the situation.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The budget is not “his” budget either. He had to come up with one Congress would pass, or else have a government shutdown.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I think the upside to the country having some debt is greater than being debt free.

But it seems to me that the debt growth is in a free fall with no political will at all for slowing it down. And I can't imagine this being a good thing for the country indefinitely. I fully trust the government to increase spending until they cannot borrow anymore, which I think will be a long time from now.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I will always be against government debt. There is absolutely no upside to any government running a deficit. Our grandchildren will curse our generation sometime in the future. I hope to be remembered as one that spoke out against it loud and clear.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

appleman2006 wrote:I will always be against government debt. There is absolutely no upside to any government running a deficit. Our grandchildren will curse our generation sometime in the future. I hope to be remembered as one that spoke out against it loud and clear.
The other choices are high taxes or a lot less government spending, and there isn’t much will or desire for the latter.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Constant deficits seem really bad to me.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

appleman2006 wrote:I will always be against government debt. There is absolutely no upside to any government running a deficit. Our grandchildren will curse our generation sometime in the future. I hope to be remembered as one that spoke out against it loud and clear.
What is the difference in this and borrowing for business purposes?
0 x