Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Post by temporal1 »

Argentine Cattle-Beef Sector Poised to Recover Glory Days
http://www.fapri.iastate.edu/bulletin/d ... eFinal.htm

not dated. must have been post-1998.

i have no idea if food imports will be any part of this new plan.
it seems questionable that only U.S.-produced foods would be used.

from what i understand, McDonald’s, and other big multinational food chains use international supplies, at least, in part.

interesting to follow along and learn.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
mike wrote:How would you answer the question, Should there be any expectation that SNAP beneficiaries make different food choices than other food purchasers?
We already do when it comes to alcohol.
The trick is to sell your food stamps (or get cash with your card) and buy your alcohol or cigarettes with cash.
Tricks-R-Us.
just read this viewer comment on a local news report:
.. “A lot of the foreign owned stores expose a loophole.
They will sale (sell) you some pizza dough from Hunt Brothers for the same exact price as they sale (sell) the pizza for, then top and bake the pizza for "free".
Or sale (sell) you 8 pieces of raw chicken for the same price as their 8 piece meal, cook it "free" and give you 2 "free" sides and 4 "free " biscuits” ..
sounds credible.
one party wants to sell, the other wants to buy ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

In my opinion, the new food box will never happen. But who knows.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:In my opinion, the new food box will never happen. But who knows.
if the cost of dealing with the naysayers is too great, it would defeat the purpose before it was tried. that certainly could happen.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
mike wrote:How would you answer the question, Should there be any expectation that SNAP beneficiaries make different food choices than other food purchasers?
We already do when it comes to alcohol.
The trick is to sell your food stamps (or get cash with your card) and buy your alcohol or cigarettes with cash.
Runs about 50¢ on the dollar.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Runs about 50¢ on the dollar.
Where would I look to find out if that's true? Where did you find that figure?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:
By being friends with the kind of people who have Ebt cards and try to sell you their credits.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

But since you love attacking whatever I say with [CITATION NEEDED], here’s one of many examples from a simple Google search:

https://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/law-a ... od-stamps/

They cite $50-$60 per $100 of face value.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote:
if this measure had been proposed by obama? - swoon - genius! :lol:
There's no question in my mind if Obama would have suggested sending food packets, most people against them now would be for them, and most for them now would be against them.

When I look at the "teams" discussing, I see this as 100% partisan political debate. How does the government taking more control from individuals become acceptable to Republicans?
And I can just hear the angry caterwauling about individual rights the Republicans would perform if Obama tried this. And I'm certain the Democrats would be excitedly caterwauling about details like fresh healthy foods.

I'm not impressed with the governments ability to get the best prices on the food boxes, nor the governments ability to efficiently manage the logistics. Its hard to beat the efficiency of electronically filling a card with money and just having the people do the legwork. While I am skeptical of all the dietary "restrictions" now days, with a card the people can buy what they need. For the government to try to honor these restrictions, that would add additional complications.
Also, I don't have a high level of trust that another program won't be susceptible to graft, bribes, kickbacks etc. My expectation is that the graft in a large federal program will equal the amount that is currently being lost/misused/sold at the individual level. At least now when someone sells their card at the 50% exchange rate to some friend for cash, it is probably being used better than some multi millionaire vendor skimming millions for himself.

The thing for me to remember is that this is a fallen world, and many people are in the control of sin. So all these social programs are "fixes" that are necessary because we humans are not operating as God originally designed.
And the more people live according to Gods plan, the less these programs are needed. But the core is sin. Laziness. Sinful addictions. Broken homes. Consequences of sin, theirs or someone elses.
I'm curious what percentage of food stamp recipients are nuclear families with no divorce? How many single people (in this country) are on welfare who have been living a faithful Christian life and because of that need food stamps?

I'm for a food assistance program. I also think a lot of people abuse it and there would be ways to improve it. I'd like to see all prebottled beverages disallowed, and candy, baked goods. I'd also like if there was a better way to prompt people to provide for themselves without taking such a big hit. I don't like the idea that someone can be on assistance and be penalized greatly for earning income. Seems like the current formula could be tweaked.
I also think that the definition for able bodied should be broadened, and no able bodied person should be able to just live on assistance.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
By being friends with the kind of people who have Ebt cards and try to sell you their credits.
I've had the same rate quoted in the past when I've asked people that do sell their benefits what they get for them.
0 x