Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:It’s apparent government can’t really do anything without a ton of people not liking it.

In this case, giving food away to hungry people attracts criticism.
Right. I thought the following quote from CNN.com was particularly ironic.
"It's a risky scheme that threatens families' ability to put food on the table," said Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:It’s apparent government can’t really do anything without a ton of people not liking it.

Is that anything new? I've heard criticism of SNAP and other programs to help poor people for years.

I don't know enough to really have an opinion on this program yet, you really do want to evaluate even well-meaning programs to make sure they are cost-effective, meet clearly thought-out goals, and tend to lead people in the direction of independence rather than dependency.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:

Is that anything new? I've heard criticism of SNAP and other programs to help poor people for years.

I don't know enough to really have an opinion on this program yet, you really do want to evaluate even well-meaning programs to make sure they are cost-effective, meet clearly thought-out goals, and tend to lead people in the direction of independence rather than dependency.
That's why the politicians are paid the big bucks, right? I'll just go back to meekly selling lettuce, candy and pop to anybody who can pay in paper or plastic. :mrgreen:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Hats Off wrote:After a quick look at Mike's grocery lists, there are few items on them that we would buy. I would love to browse the store sometime and try a few of those "luxury" items.
In particular, the following are not likely to be on my shopping list:

Code: Select all

Fisher's Dill Brussels Sprouts
AW Old Fashioned Bear Jam
American, Yellow
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

True, but this is also a misrepresentation (by implication) of said criticisms and their possible validity.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:
Hats Off wrote:After a quick look at Mike's grocery lists, there are few items on them that we would buy. I would love to browse the store sometime and try a few of those "luxury" items.
In particular, the following are not likely to be on my shopping list:

Code: Select all

Fisher's Dill Brussels Sprouts
AW Old Fashioned Bear Jam
American, Yellow
So you're a white american guy?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote:So you're a white american guy?
That's white. Plus you're in a historically non-slave state.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:

I would trust that the smart people in the USDA and HHS will do this. Let’s just let government agencies do their jobs and ignore media and partisan hype.

:)
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

I would trust that the smart people in the USDA and HHS will do this. Let’s just let government agencies do their jobs and ignore media and partisan hype.

:)
Yep. Back to your day jobs, everybody.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:I expect people who currently abuse the current cash/ebt programs would not bother with these parcels. I doubt there would be much of a cash market for it.
But then again... :o
If you grew up in one of our neighborhoods, you would see Cadillacs waiting down the street from a distribution center simply to purchase cheese from eligible recipients. As was mentioned earlier, there was an income requirement for participation in the program. I understand, however, that a number of wealthy people would also purchase surplus cheese illegally from eligible recipients and consume it along with caviar.
Wayne in Maine wrote:Ask Valerie how often she sees people buy fresh fruit and seeds with their SNAP benefits.
Probably never; I don't think her chain sells those things. But Mike's data will be interesting.
Valerie wrote:I remember one young lady who was dressed really nice & obviously had her hair done professionally, when her ebt card had a problem, she didn't want her pack of bottled water & said "I'm not going to pay for it out of 'my' money!"
Wait ... we pay the water bill for those in need (separate program, of course) AND pay for their bottled water? :?
Actually, Discount Drug Mart DOES carry fresh fruits, vegetables and pretty good quality - and seeds as well- tobe honest I usually don't pay close attention to this as I'm in a hurry to get them through the line-and out- I normally will only take note if THEY say something-
I was surprised bottled water was covered- yes- not sure why- there are less expensive options I believe- again if someone is really down and out and needs help, of course we all agree there should be charitable help- it's the what seems to be abuse-
0 x