Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Post by mike »

An interesting twist proposed on the SNAP program in Trump's proposed budget. A portion of SNAP benefits would be direct delivery of a parcel of staple food products. It would be a novel way to exert a degree of control over the food choices of SNAP beneficiaries. I'm surprised they didn't think of this before - Obama brought us the "Obama phones" and now Trump will bring us the "Trump food parcels."

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/trump- ... id/842874/

I'm curious what others think. Personally I think the food would be misused, sold, or wasted to some extent, just like SNAP funds are already. But I think it could be a great idea even so.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

Post by Josh »

Maybe we’ll see a return of government cheese. When I was young, my grandfather’s neighbours seemed to all be on assistance but didn’t like the government beans, government rice, etc.

Being a thrift man, he was glad to take it off their hands. So some of our meals came out of very unappetising looking black and white plain cans.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The interdenominationally-run local food pantry creates similar bags of food for the impoverished. It's all donated by groups in the community.

The best part is it's free.

All volunteers.

Local gardeners donate fresh produce from their gardens which makes it that much better than canned surplus.

My favorite: No government regs or other strings attached.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:Maybe we’ll see a return of government cheese. When I was young, my grandfather’s neighbours seemed to all be on assistance but didn’t like the government beans, government rice, etc.

Being a thrift man, he was glad to take it off their hands. So some of our meals came out of very unappetising looking black and white plain cans.

Government peanut butter? What could go wrong?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

mike wrote:An interesting twist proposed on the SNAP program in Trump's proposed budget. A portion of SNAP benefits would be direct delivery of a parcel of staple food products. It would be a novel way to exert a degree of control over the food choices of SNAP beneficiaries. I'm surprised they didn't think of this before - Obama brought us the "Obama phones" and now Trump will bring us the "Trump food parcels."

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/trump- ... id/842874/

I'm curious what others think. Personally I think the food would be misused, sold, or wasted to some extent, just like SNAP funds are already. But I think it could be a great idea even so.
I think it's a great idea. I expect people who currently abuse the current cash/ebt programs would not bother with these parcels. I doubt there would be much of a cash market for it.

My family received "government food" on a couple occasions when my father's union was on protracted strikes. We adapted our diet - I had never had lentils before but there must have been a huge surplus because we got lots of them. The canned beef was a real treat (makes a good meat pie), and my mother found 50 ways to prepare the "canned meat" (a spam like substance).
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I think it is a better idea than what we currently have. It is so hard not to judge people for what they buy as a cashier (presently) in a drugstore/food mart- I can see how people spend their ebt cards and for one thing, I think that it contributes to very poor diet because I tell the truth- most of the customers buy a LOT of junk! Probably why our pharmacy is so successful! It really just about breaks my heart. I remember one young lady who was dressed really nice & obviously had her hair done professionally, when her ebt card had a problem, she didn't want her pack of bottled water & said "I'm not going to pay for it out of 'my' money!" so I feel there is a problem with the current system- what is the right answer? We make it so easy for people to be dependent on the government. A local church collects so that whatever isn't covered by ebt as in their hygiene products & toiletries, laundry products, etc- they can get what they need by going to the church pantry for those- while I believe in the charitable ministry this is- I have to say that there is needs to be a better way-

By the way, the way most people eat from what I observe at the cash register whether by way of ebt card or their own money is breaking my heart.

At least giving this a try would be great-
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

It seems so odd that this seems to come from those who oppose big government control in favor of a free market. It clearly is the opposite. I would make this a supplement for those who choose it, not a reduction in the program. Having less for seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables does not seem a healthy approach.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

mike wrote:A portion of SNAP benefits would be direct delivery of a parcel of staple food products. It would be a novel way to exert a degree of control over the food choices of SNAP beneficiaries.
So, the government is going to expand its activity and "exert a degree of control over" individuals' choices? "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." It's remarkable how the statists are winning the argument with the libertarians in the Republican party. It's swiftly ceasing to be the party of small government and individual liberty (to the degree that it was). (I know this example is a relatively minor thing, but still.)

And speaking of elitism...
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
mike

Post by mike »

JimFoxvog wrote:It seems so odd that this seems to come from those who oppose big government control in favor of a free market. It clearly is the opposite. I would make this a supplement for those who choose it, not a reduction in the program. Having less for seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables does not seem a healthy approach.
This would also mean having less for candy, soda, and junk foods.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

PeterG wrote:
mike wrote:A portion of SNAP benefits would be direct delivery of a parcel of staple food products. It would be a novel way to exert a degree of control over the food choices of SNAP beneficiaries.
So, the government is going to expand its activity and "exert a degree of control over" individuals' choices? "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." It's remarkable how the statists are winning the argument with the libertarians in the Republican party. It's swiftly ceasing to be the party of small government and individual liberty (to the degree that it was). (I know this example is a relatively minor thing, but still.)

And speaking of elitism...
The SNAP program itself is a big government program. As to whether this is an elitist power grab over people's food choices in this country, isn't it more like taking the panhandler to the corner grocery and buying him a bag of groceries instead of throwing cash at him?
0 x